View Full Version : NH4NO3 bomb detonator

Horrigan
December 28th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Hi :)
I'm going to make a NH4NO3 bomb but I'm not sure if it would work and I don't want to spend money on useless stuffs.
There's about 80g of KClO4 + Al + S powder confined in a plastic tube, this tube is in the middle of a metal container filled of pure NH4NO3:
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/5691/nh4no3bq2.jpg
The powder will explode for sure, but, will the NH4NO3 explode too ?
Thank you :)

SafetyLast
December 28th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Oh god.
Not another one.:eek:
You should wave a little flag that says "please ban me nbk" or something similar. (Oh wait, I forgot. This is the water cooler, KeWl it up hombre!)
A little research could have allowed you to avoid asking questions like
"will this work?" or "how much lemon juice for AP?" By now you should know not to use that "b" word as "bombs" are large metal things dropped by airplanes.
So let me get this straight, you want to:
1. make some sort of flash powder
2. put it into a tube
3. put wires into it
4. put it into a can of "pure NH4NO3" (whatever that means, I'm assuming it's prilled AN)
5. set off the K3\/\/L B0/\/\Z

:D And the picture makes it all the more hillarious.
In short no, it will not work. You will get a boom from your flash and a lot of scattered AN, but there's not a chance that you will set off straight AN with flash powder.

Even If it was mixed with a powerful reducing fuel I'd still doubt it. ANNM "might" be able to be detonated this way.. But the only sure way to fully detonate a blasting agent such as AN is when it has 6% fuel added to it and you use a cap and a booster (and no, you cannot buy blasting caps at a grocery store)

Horrigan
December 28th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I searched but I didn't find anything :p
Sorry for the word "bomb", I'll use "explosive" instead, now ^^
Pure NH4NO3 is 99% NH4NO3 powder, not the fertilizer :p
Thanks for answering my question :)

SafetyLast
December 28th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Do a search on "Cap sensitive mixes" or "APAN" or "KIFE".
You'll find a ton of information on AN binaries.
Powdered AN must be thoroughly dried then mixed with a sensitizer. It typically detonates in columns 2" wide when loaded at a density of about 0.95g/cc, not much higher or it becomes dead pressed and not even the hand of god can detonate it. A good read for beginners is Benson's "Homemade C4, a recipe for survival" which is not C4 at all, but ANNM or "kinepak". I don't really care for it that much, I spent $60 on it expecting that it dealt with semtex or other plastique only to find it was an AN binary. Good info on drying the AN though, I never thought of using denatured alcohol before I read it.:rolleyes:

Horrigan
December 28th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Ok, I searched with these keywords and I found some interresting topics, I think I'll use nitrocellulose instead of flash powder (it should work) and I'll sensitize AN with paraffin oil or fuel oil.
Thank you for helping :)
I'd like to help others too but my skills are too limited :( but I'll try ^^

knowledgehungry
December 28th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Yeah, because nitrocellulose detonates when you light it...

I could tell you exactly what to do to set off your AN and all you need to do is take one trip to the local and follow some very simple directions... But I'm not going to. You can find out everything you need to know by reading existing posts not starting a lame new one.

I also strongly advise you to find a new hobby as opposed to this one, people like you tend to lose fingers quickly because they fail to understand the principles of what they are working with, you probably don't even understand the concept of detonation. I am not trying to be mean(at least I don't have to try very hard) but I want you to realize that we are not here to teach some kid how to blow his hands off, this site is about science, and a HUGE part of science is RESEARCH. Now, if you wish to continue in this hobby, go get to some research and the answers to all of your questions will become clear :).

Horrigan
December 29th, 2006, 09:57 AM
I did a lot of searches, I found some ways to detonate ANFO, but I just realized that there is no safe way to detonate it, I hate AP, too sensitive, to many people get killed by AP...
While searching I also read that flash powder is very unstable above 10g, is that right ? because I detonated about 100g of flash powder in a plastic tube withtout taking care of it, it didn't seem unstable...
I'm trying to learn more and more by reading the forum but all I can read is questions about advanced stuffs that doesn't help me, I'd like to start learning the beginning but I can't access the FTP or else...
:(

nbk2000
December 29th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Until you've demonstrated the ability to find answers on your own, a willingness to contribute useful information, and a sincere desire to learn (and not just get spoonfed), you never will get FTP access.

The answers to ALL the questions you've asked have already been discussed here many times before, and it's all still here. You just need to find it ON YOUR OWN.

Read the relevant sections, starting from the oldest threads, and work your way through to the present. By then, you won't need to ask us for the answers, because you'll have found them on your own. :)