View Full Version : Glock polymer and a matching resin

red wire
December 29th, 2006, 02:44 PM
This is my first post. Please be gentle.

I am gearing up to do grip reductions on Glock pistols. The procedure involves filling the void in the backstrap with epoxy, reshaping, texturizing and top coating.

I want to eliminate the coating as it tends to wear off. Therefore, I need a material to do the fill that is black in color when cured and can be stippled with a heating tool such as a woodburning iron.

The only black resin I have found so far is PC3. I have not ordered it yet. I am not sure if it would lend itself to this procedure.

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

TreverSlyFox
December 30th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Why is it that people forget the obvious as a first step? The people that make the product know the most about it, so contact the manufacturer. Tell them what you want to do with it and I'm sure their Tech Dept will be able to help you.

red wire
December 30th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Actually this procedure will void their warranty. It violates Glock's "perfection". They will not support or advise on these activities.

Chopper
December 31st, 2006, 06:45 PM
Sure it'd void the warranty, but if you ask the manufacturers of _PC3_ about your indended process for the resin, as I believe Trev was suggesting, you'd get a better answer than (I'll bet) anyone here can provide.

It's not like you'd ask the manufacturer of your car if a certain aftermarket paint is compatible with a particular clear-coat. You'd ask the paint guys, no?

nbk2000
December 31st, 2006, 07:15 PM
If you can find out the exact resin used, then asking the manufacturer of that resin would be the thing to do.

Arisaka
January 1st, 2007, 05:08 PM
I am gearing up to do grip reductions on Glock pistols...Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Why not use the aluminum aftermarket frames that are available?

InfernoMDM
January 2nd, 2007, 07:29 AM
If you go to glocktalk.com you can get your info from that sight. Many people have reformed the grip with some great results.

Also if you plan to cut down the grip note the magazine release spring inside. It goes down into the grip a ways and if you cut to much off you could damage the magazine release.

red wire
January 4th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Why not use the aluminum aftermarket frames that are available?

Good question. The aftermarket frames are like purchasing a new firearm, so why not use what you have.

However, a guy could use one of those frames and a Caspian slide and after market everything else. HMMM.......

Also, I intended this to be posted in the chemestry section. I need advise on what kind of resin could be melted (stippled with a soldering iron) like the Glock polymer material.

I will give the manufacturer of PC3 a call.

InfernoMDM
January 7th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Any comments on PC3 from the manufacturer? I also asked Glocktalk for you.

InfernoMDM
January 15th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I got a link for you. It doesn't specifically state that the compound is black, but I like the idea of coating the grip. However you can melt this material, create a beaver tail, or generally fill in holes.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/General/DisplayPDF.aspx?f=glock.pdf

Update: I read the product info and you can make it black or brown.

Acraglas in itself is amber-clear. To make it match your stock - black or brown - we furnish two special, acrylic dyes with each Kit. With them you can color the Acraglas mix to blend properly with the color of your individual stock - wood or synthetic.