View Full Version : Preparing for a 182 kg. (400 lbs) blast of ANFO

Matt_Ladder
January 2nd, 2007, 05:44 PM
Now hopefully I have put this in the right forum, please tell me if I screwed up and I will delete this post and place it in the Detonation and Demolition. Thanks.

Info:

I have studied and experimented with ANFO for about a year now, and I have decided to end with a memorable explosion. Now I am trying to plan out this explosion very precisely. The explosion will take place sometime in late July. I personally own 232 acres.... so I will be set with the land issue.

For the set-up:
I have decided to put the 182 kg. (400 lbs) in those Wal-Mart plastic tubs, which are about Length: 5 feet, Width: 3 feet, Depth: 3 feet, I believe. Now I am thinking 4 or 5 tubs will hold all the ANFO. I haven't decided whether to stack them by twos or make a square out of the tubs, or put them in a line. Maybe you guys can help me with this.

For detonation:
I have decided to use good old fuse (50 feet of standard waterproof fuse) to set of quarter sticks of dynamite. Now the detonation is tricky for me. I am not sure if I should have one stick in each tub or just use one. It also depends on how the tubs are organized. This is what I need the most help on. Now obviously I’m not going to set fire to the fuse and run on foot. I will have my trusty vehicle near by to get to a safe distance.

Formula for ANFO:
Now I have not exactly found out what the "perfect" formula is. I have been using 94.5 percent ammonium nitrate and 5.5 percent fuel oil. (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/explosives-anfo.htm). Now I have changed that somewhat and fooled around with the composition of the two reactants but I am planning on using that formula. Do you guys have a better one?

Documentation of Blast:
Now to prove to you guys that I’m not bullshitting you I will obviously film it. I will place 3 cameras. 1st camera will be 182 meters (200 yards) away from ground zero of the explosion. The 2nd Camera will be 274 meters (300 yards) away from ground zero. As for the last one, it will be with me. Please give your opinion on the placement.

Now I believe I have covered everything. Like I said I will post the blast on the forum sometime in late July.

Please give any suggestions you have.

Chopper
January 3rd, 2007, 04:06 AM
:eek:

Unless your property is surrounded by nothing, or you plan on digging a _big_ hole first, I'd buy some shoes with velcro on them quite shortly - something about not being allowed shoes with laces in 'em.

If you can pull it off, great! I'll be waiting with baited breath. But this aint exactly like being caught making M80s..

knowledgehungry
January 3rd, 2007, 11:32 AM
I prepared a lengthy response to this post concerning the technical aspects of this, but for some reason I don't feel comfortable posting them. This has the feel of entrapment. I saved the post and I may still post it after a momentary bout of Paranoia. Damn you Patriot act, I believe it was the Patriot act that made giving information be able to be tried as conspiracy.

simply RED
January 3rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Place all ANFO in one - preferably steel container. Like old container for oil/gas/naphta/pesticides.
Even better - fill an old water tank from electric boiler with it :D
You may even attach 2 water tanks one to another with bolts and nuts ;)
Be sure your fuel oil is completely dehydrated (may be additionally dehydrated with dry CaCl2)
and NH4NO3 perfectly dry before mixing.
Use at least 200 grams TNT equivalent for detonator.
Try your detonator first with 2kg and if it is okay - with 200.
95/5 - best
Other things you already know.

atlas#11
January 3rd, 2007, 02:34 PM
First of all, good luck with the not blowing yourself part.

I certianly hope you do a great deal of digging and burry these charges as deeply as possible, not for covering it up (obviously not going to help any ways) but to make a much larger crater, which you could later use for the construction of a bunker. :D

As far as the detonation is concerned, it has been mentioned before, a large booster will make all the difference. I'd probably use a half pound of petn at least or equivelant for each tub. Use a good blast box with some serious capacitors to get them to all detonate at relativly the same time and to push adequate current through the LONG wires between you and the charge. Also, place your cameras behind a pile of sand bags or such and use a mirror to view ground zero, save yourself a camera :) . You might want to put a piece of acrylic infront of the mirror cuz thers gonna be alot of projectiles flying around and you wouldn't want to miss a second of it.

Oh, did I forget to ask WHY THE HELL you decided to do a charge so large? This sounds to me like an extreme waste of nitrate among other things. I'm not going to criticize you for it though, I certianly wouldn't mind watching some high definition vids of a blast this big, I'm just asking you to consider exactly how much of a waste this is.

As for this being entrapment, I would think they would be asking for more information regarding the demolition of buildings rather than a hundred acres of farmland. If it is a gov agent, he's probably looking for information on the subject cuz they're planning another event similar to the WTC and they heard this was the best place to learn how to blow shit up.:rolleyes:

EDIT: Woops, guess I missed the part where your using fuse and dynamite. Fuse? Are you kidding me? I suppose if the tubs were stacked close enough together you could use a good bundel of dynamite in the central tub to detonate them all, though you'd risk loosing alot of your power should it fail. I seriously recomend you use electronic detonation and use a full stick in each tub. Your obviously working with a budget so a seriously advanced trigger system is probably not in the picture, but you could probably aford some form of radio detonator which would be optimum. I'd use a relay and some good caps wired up to the charge and then have a radio device or pager wired to the relay. As always, test the bejesus out of everything before you wire it to blow.

simply RED
January 3rd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Use fuse-det or electric det with long wires. No electronics, no radio, no triggers etc. Fuse is good for this very application. If you are paranoid - double it - use 2 fuses with two fabric detonators ot 2 fuses with one HMTD (3,4g) det.

"you could probably aford some form of radio detonator which would be optimum"
No! Do not make complications for yourself. Make it simple and effective. All charge in one place, one detonator and one booster!

atlas#11
January 3rd, 2007, 04:39 PM
simply red is probably right, no sense in making more complications. Electric or radio det is how I would go though (probably electric with wires). Just for the sake of putting more effort into it rather than just lighting the fuse and blowing something up. Not to mention that once the fuse is lit and you're in your bunker, if something goes wrong you can do nothing but sit and watch. i.e. your wife goes out looking for you in the blast zone, neighbors show up with a fruit basket, etc. etc.

Matt_Ladder
January 3rd, 2007, 05:55 PM
OK this all makes sense, "All charge in one place, one detonator and one booster!" And use a better thing to hold the ANFO, like an old water tank. That I can do easily enough and I will purchase a radio detonator, I needed one anyway.

Atlas#11, the reason why I want such a large explosion..... Well simply because I wanted to finally make a big ass explosion, 1st hand. It is a bit excessive but after years of experimenting with different explosives, I have always wanted to make something that big.

I have been working in mines for about 2 years now, in Alberta and Alaska, so I guess I have seen big ass explosions but making it yourself and experiencing it without pesky rules will be a lot sweeter (and no that doesn't mean I'm going to stand 100 feet away from it either, I'm no dumb ass).

And yes, this is an enormous waste, except I can make myself a nice little bunker with the crater :). But I am sure the Ukraine has enough Ammonium Nitrate and 400 lbs. will not hurt the surplus. :)

Can't wait to set it off. The film will come.

Thanks a lot guys.

If you have anymore suggestions... Please feel welcome to post them.

simply RED
January 3rd, 2007, 06:11 PM
You should not plant 200kg charge where your wife or neighbours could pop up with a fruit basket, or it may happen like in the jokes for "redhat" ;)

Matt_Ladder
January 3rd, 2007, 06:57 PM
Also, I have wondered where you guys personally get your ammonium nitrate.... I have used FireFox, united nuclear, and took a look at those cold packs. However, I know a local supplier who is a real nice guy, and he gives me the stuff at a real nice price :).

Gerbil
January 3rd, 2007, 10:00 PM
I will have my trusty vehicle near by to get to a safe distance.

Just thinking: it's unlikely, but what happens if it breaks down after you light the fuse? If you do use one, it might be a good idea to make it extra long, and pin parts of it to the ground so that, in an emergency, you can cut off the burning end with ease.

Running a cable or using a radio detonator in your bunker (you're going to need one) would help in the sense that you can easily control the explosion. That said, I tend to get slightly paranoid about interference/power surges...fuse generally can't be set off accidentally.

In the end though, it's probably going to be much easier to run a cable from the blast site, and keep an unplugged high-voltage battery pack in the bunker.

Just out of interest, would there be any chance of constructing a small shack (nothing fancy, five pieces of plywood would suffice) a little way from the explosives, to help with judging the power of the explosion (and improving the video)? :p

Chopper
January 3rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
But I am sure the Ukraine has enough Ammonium Nitrate and 400 lbs. will not hurt the surplus.

Also, I have wondered where you guys personally get your ammonium nitrate....

So lemme get this straight, you've got a location or a supply inside the Ukraine, you've worked in mines for 2 years now yet STILL have now idea of the answers to your basic questions.

Not only that, but you've bought AN from FireFox, UN and canibalized cold-packs. You've also managed to secure yourself a supplier who is sympathetic to your desire for either a bit of old boy fun, or some fertilizer for your farm. If you've got 232 acres, what the fuck are you doing buying it from anywhere but the farm store, in 50lb bags??

Nor can I understand why somebody in your position, i.e not a policeman would have the need to know where we buy AN from. Your story aint adding up my friend, at the least it sounds a little schitzophrenic..
If you're genuine, I'm sorry to be a prick, but the way you present your case has garanteed my silence.

Besides, anybody that knows anything about fuse initiation knows full well that the way you get to a safe distance is by walking and using an appropriate length of fuse to reach said distance. You never run, nor for the potential of car break down, as mentioned above do you drive.

It's those pesky regulations that keep that pesky thing, death, from occuring.

I just hope nobody gets fucked up over this whole exercise.

Matt_Ladder
January 3rd, 2007, 11:25 PM
So lemme get this straight, you've got a location or a supply inside the Ukraine, you've worked in mines for 2 years now yet STILL have now idea of the answers to your basic questions.

Not only that, but you've bought AN from FireFox, UN and canibalized cold-packs. You've also managed to secure yourself a supplier who is sympathetic to your desire for either a bit of old boy fun, or some fertilizer for your farm. If you've got 232 acres, what the fuck are you doing buying it from anywhere but the farm store, in 50lb bags??

Nor can I understand why somebody in your position, i.e not a policeman would have the need to know where we buy AN from. Your story aint adding up my friend, at the least it sounds a little schitzophrenic..
If you're genuine, I'm sorry to be a prick, but the way you present your case has garanteed my silence.

Besides, anybody that knows anything about fuse initiation knows full well that the way you get to a safe distance is by walking and using an appropriate length of fuse to reach said distance. You never run, nor for the potential of car break down, as mentioned above do you run.

I just hope nobody gets fucked up over this whole exercise.

...................... Yup

In the mines I am a truck driver, we don't really get too much into the action, but hey! it pays well. The man I know does not live in the Ukraine he lives in Canada, where I am planning to blast it, at the land I was talking about. I have family in Alberta. I also have decided to purchase a remote detonator (if you read above at one of my earlier posts). Its obviously much more productive and safer. As for the thrill I seek with lighting the match..... doesn't matter, I'll get enough thrill from the boom.

As for where you guys get your stuff, I was just wondering, its getting harder to find (AN) and if my supplier won't sell it anymore, then.... I have no AN. This was one of my main reasons to do this explosion. AN is becoming more and more rare and this explosion will be the last and only time I will be able to use a large quantity like this.

Now I was just waiting for someone, as yourself, to start questioning, and you have every right too. I have no proof that I am not some dumb ass who's 13 and gets excited when people go ooo and aaahhhh. However, the only proof that I can give you is the video from this blast, which will come sometime in July.

No hard feelings Chopper, you had every right to question,
- Matt

atlas#11
January 3rd, 2007, 11:39 PM
He's in ukraine, so there's plenty of distance between him and I.:p

Where are you getting this radio detonator? And where are you getting your dynamite?

"But I am sure the Ukraine has enough Ammonium Nitrate and 400 lbs. will not hurt the surplus"

"The man I know does not live in the Ukraine he lives in Canada, where I am planning to blast it"

And are you planning on shipping the 400 lbs of AN from Ukraine to Canada? WHAT EXACTLY IS YOUR DAMMAGE BOY?

fiknet
January 4th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Many people have laid down the 50kg plus glove and haven't delivered and personally I think you won't either, you say you will have a fuse going to quarter sticks of dynamite, why are the sticks in quarters and not full sticks? Unless you are referring to those 'quarter stick' fire crackers which are common kewl traps because they think sticking a fire cracker in a pipe of AN will make awesome kewl bomz.

Anyway prove me wrong if I am, I'd love to see a nice explosion like that.

Microtek
January 4th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Why are everybody going on about the Ukraine ? As far as I can see, Matt hasn't said anything about being in the Ukraine, in fact as he's talking about using Wal-mart tubs, is using the archaic system of units ( lbs, feet ) and has simply stated that it's in Canada, I think everybody should stop jumping to conclusions.

Anyway, just one of those tubs you mentioned are easily big enough to hold all the ANFO ( 90 cm X 90 cm X 150 cm = 1215 liters which will hold about 1000 kg ANFO ).

If you are a mine worker and has witnessed large explosions in the past then you already know that dirt and smoke will be thrown high into the air and will probably remain visible for some time to point out exactly where the explosion took place, just in case anyone might care to investigate.

Matt_Ladder
January 4th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Why are everybody going on about the Ukraine ? As far as I can see, Matt hasn't said anything about being in the Ukraine, in fact as he's talking about using Wal-mart tubs, is using the archaic system of units ( lbs, feet ) and has simply stated that it's in Canada, I think everybody should stop jumping to conclusions.

Anyway, just one of those tubs you mentioned are easily big enough to hold all the ANFO ( 90 cm X 90 cm X 150 cm = 1215 liters which will hold about 1000 kg ANFO ).

If you are a mine worker and has witnessed large explosions in the past then you already know that dirt and smoke will be thrown high into the air and will probably remain visible for some time to point out exactly where the explosion took place, just in case anyone might care to investigate.

Thank you.

As for the dirt and smoke..... I'm aware. People may wonder, if they see it, but it's not like I'm detonating this stuff in a populated area, if someone does see something, they'll confront me first.

- Matt

inventorgp
January 5th, 2007, 07:12 AM
I think it would be best to detonate it at dusk so not many people would view it, and if they did it would get dark soon anyway.
Be careful, I'd suggest setting it off electrically - see the camera flash detonator thread.
Anyway, that is a lot of ANFO, keep "things" (metal objects, people) out of the shock wave.

Sheesh lay off guys instead of bicthin' and complainin' why don't be more enthusiastic about educating, so he doesn't kill himself (I can see some are). This is a science forum after all.

And also where are you going to be when you set this device off?

Microtek
January 5th, 2007, 06:46 PM
For a charge this big I strongly suggest using multiple redundancy in the initiating train. Even the best commercial firing trains have an appreciable likelyhood of failing at some point under field conditions, and by simply having two separate trains ( fuse, detonator, booster ) you square the risk. Three trains cubes it, so if one train has a 1:100 chance of not working then with two trains you get 1:10000 and with three 1:1000000.

This minimizes the probability of having to deal with a 182 kg UXO.

knowledgehungry
January 6th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I agree with Microtek about the multiple redundancy, the thing you want last in the world is to have 182 kg of ANFO with a sensitive primary in the middle of it sitting in your yard:eek: .

I strongly suggest that you test the explosive train and method of initiation several times prior to using it with the ANFO. Set it up exactly how you plan on setting it up, detonate the train and examine the results. If it does not go as planned, experiment until you get the result you want, then try the successful method several times to make sure that it is reliable. You miight want to even try to set off a smaller ANFO charge with it to make sure that it will initiate it correctly. Yes this is a lot of work, but setting off even small explosives can be fun and when you are dealing with such a large charge as you intend to you need to be very careful, and put large amounts of planning and research into it.

I, of course, strongly advise against any organic peroxides to be used in any shape or form in this endeavour:cool: .

I also would suggest electronic detonation of some sort because regular fuses fail far to much for my liking, plus it is better to be able to control the precise instant the charge goes off in case of unexpected visitors.

Jacks Complete
January 6th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I'd definately use a two stage system. Use an electrical system with a 20 second burning fuse, which splits into two to reach your two detonators in your booster charge at the same time. Run this visible burning fuse vertically, and loop it around a white duster or other visible marker, just after the electrical ignitor.

From your bunker, ensure you can see this "tell" through your field scope or whatever.

Should your electrical system fail (most likely), you will know the charge is safe to return to after a few seconds, as you will see that the fuse is not lit and the marker has not moved. The dual detonators going off at very nearly the same time minimises the risk of a fizzle due to a duff or badly placed detonator.

You could also have a back-up plan (or two) - use a Tannerite binary to boost it, and set it off with your scoped rifle. Or make a radio controlled rig to trip it electrically. But that would destroy the receiver in a charge this big!

Matt_Ladder
January 6th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I like these ideas. The commercial train one sounds good. And Jacks Complete write up on this was good as well. I will defiantly test with smaller amounts of ANFO and experiment obviously, thanks for the help, I will probably go with the two stage system.

Thanks again,

NO SELF-SIGNING! NBK

nbk2000
January 7th, 2007, 01:06 AM
I'll be shocked to shit if he actually does it, as I have seen this sort of thing promised soooo many times and never delivered.

Alexires
January 7th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Why not have the primary/booster attached to a LONG piece of string and have it made so that its loaded into the ANFO from the side you will be sitting on. In the case of a dud ignition, wait a bit then pull primary/booster out of the side of the main charge.

This lets you deal with the UXO if it does occur. Alternately, have 2 or 3 different detonation sources inside the main charge, so you can set number 2 off if the first fails, and number 3 off if the first 2 fail.

If they all fail, you suck and deserve to have to deal with 182kg of UXO.

While I am skeptical as well NBK, it would be nice to see.

inventorgp
January 7th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Or you could use detcord and "splice" the three detonators/boosters to it.

And Jack I don't think he can get a firearm or tannerite, he lives in the Ukraine.
Setting it of with tannerite would be awesome tho.

So Matt, where are you going to be when you set this device off?
And so far how much have you spent on AN?

knowledgehungry
January 7th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I would also suggest that you bury the charge, or at least place the charge in a hole. Doing this will add to confinement, which increases the likelihood of a full detonation. It will also help reduce the amount of shockwave propagated horizontally, reducing the damage to your house or yourself if you miscalculated the distance needed to keep undamaged.

InventorGP he does not live in the Ukraine he made some reference to the Ukraine which no one got(including myself) but he lives in Canada.

Cobalt.45
January 7th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Also, I have wondered where you guys personally get your ammonium nitrate....

I know I'm not the only one whose BS alert is activated by this.

What I'm seeing is an ill conceived scheme to get an unwitting member to come off their supplier.

Chopper
January 7th, 2007, 12:56 PM
That's certainly why I was less than friendly.

I don't reckon he's a 13 yr old kewl, nor am I particularly concerned for his safety. My concern is that there are inconsistancies and unanswered questions with regards to his initial post.

On a side note, in a MythBusters dvd (Volume 9) a cement truck is blown up using 800 lbs of "a comercial blasting agent" delivered in brown paper sacks (moisture sealed ??). This truck is destroyed in a big way, including the 7 cubic yards or whatever there were of set concrete inside. That was a _seriously_ big blast, with the crew _all_ jumping upon the arrival of the shockwave some 1+ miles away. The mushroom cloud of dust was seen extending what I would estimate to be 200+ meters high.

In my mind there are 2 undesireable consequences (for us)
1) He gets himself fucked up royally, either bodily or legally and the repercussions come back to haunt RS again (as they did after a raghead site linked to RS)

or, in my mind the more likely of the two

2) He's on a fishing expedition and hoping to close down suppliers or close down members that provide suppliers.

The ref to the Ukraine has still not been explained, nor has the reason for canibalizing cold-paks or buying at the comparitively exorbitant rate UN charges. Nor can I understand why more testing will be conducted if, as claimed, the past year has been spent investigating the detonation of AN devices. The only thing really left to be learned that hasn't been provided in posts of this thread is how much of a boom that much AN would make.

It's probably of no consequence, but why the plan for Jun or whenever it was. To me it sounds like a method of buying time without the expectation of any result until after then. That's a lot of time for foolhardy members to become unstuck.

But spidermonkey's 10kg one was a great view, and one 18 times the size would make great viewing.

nbk2000
January 7th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Matt, nobody here is going to come off their suppliers for you, so asking is pointless.

UTFSE (Use The Fuckin' Search Engine) to find sources that have been previously named.

IF this is ever actually done, I'd say use a booster charge of a kilo 50/50 APAN set off with a very large Picric Acid/AP detonator. If you can get nitromethane, use ANNM instead of APAN.

Cindor
January 13th, 2007, 05:44 AM
You can use unpressed Amonal, which is more sensitive than ANNM... maybe with a big PA-AP/HMTD detonator you don't need a booster.

FullMetalJacket
January 13th, 2007, 09:13 AM
You should not plant 200kg charge where your wife or neighbours could pop up with a fruit basket, or it may happen like in the jokes for "redhat" ;)

Or RedSKY.

Oh man, I kill myself sometimes. I really do.

As for the charge... It will be impossibly fucking cool if it goes off and you get a full det, but I have to side with Chopper...

As the saying goes... "You bring the worms, I'll bring the rods, we'll all spend a day at the lake having wormsex with dildos"

*snickers*

FullMetalJacket
January 13th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Or you could use detcord and "splice" the three detonators/boosters to it.

And Jack I don't think he can get a firearm or tannerite, he lives in the Ukraine.
Setting it of with tannerite would be awesome tho.

So Matt, where are you going to be when you set this device off?
And so far how much have you spent on AN?

Even if you can't BUY commercial tannerite, making it is as simple as dry mixing powders. He's GOT a massive volume of AN, he's ordered from UN before (supposedly) so he could get Al, and he'd just have to ring around a bit to find the zirconium hydride to sensitize it.

Lewis
January 24th, 2007, 10:40 PM
It would perhaps be a good idea to erect some sort of shed or shack over the ANFO.

Not only would it be entertaining to hear about farmers finding twisted nails landing 5 miles away, but it would protect the explosives from the weather and unfriendly eyes.

rasputin_ecuador
June 17th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Well mate its almost July and I hope you deliver... as far as the fuse goes.. I would personally never use it against electrical det. for that much explosive, fuses always have the bad habit of failing when you most need them to work.

jagster
June 27th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Just discovered this threat. I'm waiting also :)

nbk2000
June 28th, 2007, 03:40 AM
'Threat'? :confused:

Are you implying some sort of danger, to you or to others?

Did you perhaps mean 'Thread', as in a topic of discussion?

I ARE A ENGINEER? :p

fiknet
June 28th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Hmm,

"Last Activity: January 7th, 2007 07:55 PM"

It doesn't look to good unless he is actually very clever and keeping a low profile before the blast and will return in due time with excellent documentation and story.

sbovisjb1
July 1st, 2007, 01:01 AM
I bet he just had a good idea and was gassing here, saying all what he was going to do and then like most braggers, he lost interest.

nbk2000
July 1st, 2007, 01:55 AM
All anyone has to do is click on his name, view public profile, and see he hasn't been here since January 7th of this year.

Rbick
July 1st, 2007, 03:24 PM
It says "no activity" because he has been working endlessly on his 400lb charge, working day and night making calculations and adjusting his measurements. He has no time to post on the forum! :D

Just a random thought: But if there were a 400lb random explosion anywhere in the U.S. (assuming thats where he is) I think the ATF and FBI would have a field day... Unless you're out in Nevada in the desert somewhere. Even then, it would be hard to hide that, unless there isn't a person within about 20 miles.

Shalashaska
July 1st, 2007, 11:50 PM
I've been thinking the exact same thing for the last few months since I first read this thread. Unless he's in one of the many vast Canadian deserts, I don't think there's any real way to hide this kind of explosion. And I certainly wouldn't advise doing it on his own property which he mentioned. These kinds of explosions typically yield search warrants... since clearly, this guy is testing out his explosives so he can then move onto public buildings and structures to blow up!

Honestly though, at this point, I think the only thing warding away my doubt for this actually being real is my wish to see it filmed if it is real. :-)

megalomania
July 2nd, 2007, 12:16 PM
Well, if he was keeping a low profile, I think we have flagged this topic enough so that even the most dense BATF agent in charge of monitoring this site will get a dim flicker of an idea-bulb above his head to take notice.

You would not need 20 miles of life free testing ground. A few dozen acres of farm land, maybe a quarry or deep depression, and with no one around for a mile say, it would be hard to tell where it came from. One could wait until there was a thunderstorm, the noise might be dismissed as thunder.

Rbick
July 3rd, 2007, 10:46 AM
Oh good idea. I actually THOUGHT about using a thunderstorm to cover up a charge. If I had a license, I would bury them about 30cm to cover the sound ever since the cops paid me a visit :rolleyes: You're right though, 20 miles is a little of an exaggeration, but being as paranoid of the government as I am, I would go with 20.

Mega, I know this question may seem to have the obvious answer, but I'm young and naive so I'll ask it anyway. You think they really have a BATF agent watching the forum? It wouldn't suprise me, and I know they can get close to exact geographic locations via IP address tracing programs. I actually have one called NeoTrace Pro. Anyway, sorry to go off topic. This guy probably forgot about the fact he even posted this 6 months ago...

megalomania
July 4th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Do I think there is a team of agents hunched over computer terminals monitoring The Forum day and night compiling dossiers on everyone, no I do not. Do I think there is a mandate or direct order somewhere in the fedgov to keep an eye on this place, no I do not. Do I think at least one fedgov agent has his own username to look things over for his own interests and on his own time, absolutely.

Of all the years we have been here no one has said or done anything that would garner the attention of the higher ups in the fedgov. We are a safe responsible lot trying to operate our own experiments without hurting anyone or destroying anything. Compare that to some Al Qaeda blog which should take up all of their time.

No one here is dangerous, and the fedgov has real work to do with the people that are. It may be illegal in the strictest sense to detonate an explosive in a hole in the ground, but are they going to serve up warrants and spend investigative dollars on something that innocuous, no they are not.

Rbick
July 5th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Amen to that. I just hope they never get bored ;) As for the 400lb blast: SHOW ME THE MONEY!

Kleng
July 11th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Money? AN can be bought in big sacks for around 200USD. (At least in Norway) These contains 500kg AN pure enough to be used in ANFO, without any purification. The diesel, would cost no more than 20USD. Then for the booster and detonator, it wouldn't cost that much.

Shalashaska
July 11th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I think by "Show me the money," he means he's anxious to see the video (if it's the real deal.) Not that he wants to know how much it's estimated cost was.

Charles Owlen Picket
July 12th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Money?

Yes, this is an expression taken from popular entertainment TV in several English speaking countries that indicates that the person wants to see (or receive proof) of the factual nature of the issue.

Much the same as in Saudi Arabia they may say " Stone the Bitch" to indicate the need to repress or destroy that which may be heterosexually simulating or attractive. :rolleyes:

But dealing with the topic of internet monitoring..... realistically the monies available for any on-going investigation hinge on results. Fed-Gov money that has Congressional over-sight has to show results for it's expenditure (eventually). I can't see how any agency could justify the focus on this message/discussion board unless something really news-worthy was attached to that investigation. However I am sure Hillary will think of something to save the children.

Rbick
July 12th, 2007, 08:28 PM
I apologize for this thread going off topic, but it is kind of dead anyway considering the one who started it has obviously given up on us :(.

As far as Hiliary goes, I attempted to do some research on her political stand points, and as a result I didn't get any where. The websites explaining her views state things in a way that really don't point you in any one direction. Seems like they're trying to make everyone happy? Hmmmm...

In a attempt to see passed the BS, and going off past speeches and statements she has made, this is what I concluded: Chances are she would try to ban "violent" video games. So all you would be playing is The Sims, if you're lucky. Guns would be gone if she could have it her way. Screw the Constitution right? That thing is out dated anyway, who needs it? (Dripping with sarcasm). Our current government is finding ways around it anyway *COUGH* PATRIOT ACT. And as for Hobby chemists, we would be in big trouble. Use fear and ignorance as a weapon to let the people hear what they want to hear: "Chemistry and explosives are EVIL". Well so are STDs (Sexually Transmitted Diseases) and fast cars. They kill more people than guns and explosives ever will, so ban them too!

In conclusion: Hilary sucks... Sorry, I had to vent :mad:

Shalashaska
July 13th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Well so are STDs (Sexually Transmitted Diseases)

Hell, while we're at it, let's ban sex! It'll take care of STD's and the geometrically growing population. Then we can ban cigarettes, since we don't need them to kill off the population anymore! Great PR!

Reminds me of this:
http://www.fat-pie.com/thechildthatsmeltfunny.htm

NoltaiR
July 23rd, 2007, 01:35 PM
"No activity"... I was getting so excited reading the early postings. I guess it is possible he tried a practice shot early on and was trying to light that fuse much to close :)

Well I will post a quick thought in case anyone else decides a similar endeavor.

I will have to disagree with SimplyRED's comment about using a standard fuse type detonation. In my experiences (which were all dreamt, of coarse), an electrical detonation is always SO much more safe. Also you have an enormous amount of control over it.

stupid939
July 23rd, 2007, 02:46 PM
I would also agree that using an electrical firing system would be the safest. If you light a 50ft fuse (or whatever length was discussed earlier) anyone could pull up to the blast site and start snooping around. You could also have problems with the fuse burning all the way, and I for one would not want to go back to the blasting site.

If you use a electronic system, you have complete control (down to the millisecond) of when your charge will detonate. As long as you make safe e-matches (not too fine of a wire) a small static charge (in transport/setup) will not fire it, and if you check your lines for a charge beforehand, I do not see much else going wrong (unless you use a radio frequency trigger and pick up interference).

Vitalis
August 24th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Well, I guess this didn't happen. It's a shame too, that video would have been a bitch and a half. I didn't expect him to go through with it, but that sucks to come on here and promise such a thing and then just flake.

I'm nowhere near the expertise level of most of the people here, but I sure wouldn't want to mess around with any type of fuse-type detonation system on a charge this big. Hell, if something went wrong, you would have a serious problem and a giant disaster waiting to happen.

Rbick
August 24th, 2007, 03:16 PM
We can only hope that while he was actually setting it up, the button on his electronic firing device malfunctioned and fired just as he was inserting the blasting cap into the booster. He was then instantly vaporized and his video camera with him, destroying any evidence that it happened. The cops would later find the 10m wide crater in the middle of a field and wonder what happened.

This is why we havn't heard from him in so long... He's dead. At least he went through with it... :D

pthiemann
October 10th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Just afew basic things you might want to consider.

Do not! place it in a metal container, you will have shrapnel flying everywhere.
Keep the charge in a single container so it is not decoupled or use multiple instantaneous primers. Given it is unconfined with a rather large diameter I expect you may need multiple primers or the VOD may die off and stop the detonation.

Take note of all entrances to your property and post physical guards, yes people, and make sure they are atleast 1,000m away. If the 1,000m radius crosses any public area, road say. You are asking for big trouble.

Don't know what your laws are over there but I'm sure you would have notify your local mines inspector and explain why you want to do it and satisfy him that all safety precautions have been taken into account.

Are you a shotfirer? God knows how you get hold of any of this stuff without being licensed.

I would use multiple 700gm PETN boosters with cord initiated with a nonel lead in line.

You don't want to have to running, walking, driving etc after you have initiated it. Fire it from your final destination...again from atleast 1,000m away.

I know it sounds like fun and we do have some fun blowing holes through inch thick plate with just a booster but you have to be carefull with this stuff.

Oh yeah, you mentioned you were "playing" with the proportions of AN and fuel oil. DO NOT do this. Your original proportions are correct, if you deviate from this you risk formation of NOX gases which will kill you and anything around the blast zone if breathed in.

When you fire monitor your wind direction.

All in all you are playing with some very dangerous stuff here. We deal with this stuff everyday and blasts in excess of 700tonne and damn they make a fine sight.

Don't want to be a kill joy but given the questions you are asking you really don't know what you playing with.

How do post movies and what format, might have some interesting ones here too show you

Cheers

nbk2000
October 10th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Does anyone ever bother to read the beginning of a post and notice the DATE of the last post made by OP?

You would have noticed that he hasn't been back here for quite a length of time. Because either:

A) He was lying (Occam's razor...)

B) Caught

C) Killed

End of useless thread.