View Full Version : Help a know nothing.

Hirudinea
January 11th, 2007, 08:45 PM
While at the Doctors recently we got into a discussion of a subtance used for in the past for the treatment of infections of the neither regions, but as my doc is from Serbia I couldn't get the English name for this marvelous substance, but I got a quickly jotted chemical formula, here it is..

KOH2MN

and a half English phrase of "Potasium Hyper Manganate", can you guys identify what the hell this stuff is, just purely in the intrest of letting me know what the hell it is? Oh, yes I did look on the internet and found nothing.

nbk2000
January 12th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Potassium Permanganate is what you're looking for.

Hirudinea
January 12th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Potassium Permanganate is what you're looking for

Really, I looked that up and it had a different chemical formula? Oh well, I probably wrote it down wrong. Thanks.

nbk2000
January 13th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Wikipedia Entry, for what it's worth:

Just under two hundred years later a Londoner named Henry Bollmann Condy trained as a chemist. He had an interest in disinfectants and marketed a number of products including ozonised water. He found that when he fused pyrolusite with NaOH and dissolved the product in water it gave a solution that had good disinfectant properties. He patented this solution, and marketed it as Condy's Fluid.

The problem was that the solution, although quite effective, was not very stable. This difficulty was overcome by using KOH rather than NaOH. This gave a more stable material, which had the added advantage of being easily converted to the equally effective potassium permanganate crystals.