View Full Version : Dihydrogen monoxide strikes again

drunkenpanda
January 19th, 2007, 02:16 AM
I saw the craziest thing on the news the other day, and thought that because of all of the dihydrogen monoxide jokes circulating around, some of you might get a kick out of this, as grim as it may be.
http://cbs13.com/local/local_story_017093935.html
Yes. Dihydrogen monoxide has claimed another victim. The verdict: water intoxication. I kid you not. Has anyone else heard of this?

nbk2000
January 19th, 2007, 08:01 AM
The DJ's all got fired and the family is sueing.

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/110323.html

I noticed all her kids have freaky-huge foreheads! :eek:

QzarBaron
January 19th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Yeah water poisoning is actually really tragic and it happens more often than most people would normally think. I've heard of a lot of unfortunate events, especially dealing with sports, where people have died from overhydrating themselves. It seems to have been a big problem with marathon runners who completely threw their electrolytes completly out of balance. There have been several cases, especially out of the Boston Marathon about this. http://www.thebostonchannel.com/newscenter5/1610699/detail.html

drunkenpanda
January 19th, 2007, 09:47 PM
In all seriousness, who would of thought that you could die by drinking too much water. I find that mildly disturbing.

Hirudinea
January 19th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Yea that dihydrogen monoxide is some nasty shit, I say we ougtha ban it, if ethonol is good enough for me it should be good enough for everyone! :D

cyclosarin
January 20th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Anything's toxic in the right dose, apparently water has a LD50 just over 80,000 mg/kg.

aikon
January 20th, 2007, 10:10 AM
...I noticed all her kids have freaky-huge foreheads! :eek:

You're right! :eek: :D
Maybe they all suffer from hydrocephaly. ;)

IIRC we already have a thread somewhere about poisoing a victim with water.

c.Tech
January 20th, 2007, 12:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax That’s priceless. :D

And to think that a few years ago I though something called dihydrogen monoxide existed, no wonder I couldn’t find the difference between DHMO and water.

I would have discarded the myth if I didn’t find a professional looking website saying its toxic, dangerous, and present at most high school shootings.

I put hours of research in trying to find what made it so toxic compared to water, little did I know it was water.

festergrump
January 20th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but when you look at the linguistics of the words it all makes perfect sense when you think about it for a minute or two, even to someone with absolutely no chemistry background or experience (ie: me).

The prefix "di" or "bi" gives the meaning of two. ("tri" = three, ect). "mon" or "mono" assumes the meaning of alone or one... therefore, dihydrogen monoxide would naturally indicate H2O.

Don't feel bad, though. My own mother nailed it before I did when I told her the story of the woman in the original post yesterday in casual conversation. :o

I would have discarded the myth if I didn’t find a professional looking website saying its toxic, dangerous, and present at most high school shootings.

This is sufficient enough to make a killing (pun not intended) off the "chemical" were it to be sold to k3wls on E-Bay, no? Just provide the link in the chemical's description... :D

NBK, you mention the size of the foreheads of the woman's kids... are you implying they might be waterheads? LMAO! Now that's fucking funny! :)

Chaosmark
January 28th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I recall reading that story a week or so ago. Made both my brother and I look at each other and go, "What in the world?! That's possible?"

Sure enough, Wikipedia agrees with the story.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

tweak
February 1st, 2007, 08:30 AM
A large number of deaths attributed to mdma overdoses, actually result from the victim drinking too much water(sorry, DiHydrogen Monoxide). It's not a very well known fact, but that's because mdma is an evil psychostimulant that kills teenagers and deserves to be ostracized. Or so they say! :p

droz
February 1st, 2007, 03:12 PM
Sadly enough the city counsel in my town, had a "Town Meeting" on Dihydrogen Monoxide, after an email circulated around the local city governments offices about the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide.

I really don't know how they found out it was indeed water they were talking about, but I have my suspicions some 5th grader who got out of science class figured it out.

Hirudinea
February 1st, 2007, 08:47 PM
Oh come on, the funniest thing about the Dihydrogen Monxoide hoax is that is shows the ignorance of general public, I will bet any one of you if you get a clip board, some lined paper and print out a couple dozen leaflets from the DHMO (whatever) website you could hang out for a couple of hours (assuming you have no life) at any local hippy hangout (try a university :) ) and you will have more signatures than you know what to do with, and if you get phone numbers and e-mails, well, thats up to you.

c.Tech
February 2nd, 2007, 01:45 AM
and you will have more signatures than you know what to do with

Try sending into parliament with enough info on it so they may not do their own research, see what their reply is. If you're lucky they will sell it to the media and you could see a story on it.