View Full Version : .32 NAA carbine?

sparkchaser
January 19th, 2007, 06:34 AM
A couple of years ago, I picked up a new in the box Mauser 8mm rifle for about $225. After some range time (and tons of cosmoline scrubbing!), I noticed that the rifle was wildly inaccurate (17 inch group at 100 yards was the worst grouping, 10 inches was the best!). Being that the rifle was inaccurate anyways, I decided to shorten it a bit to have a little fun.

What I wound up with was a great little point n shoot toy that makes a huge boom and lots of muzzle flash, using cheap surplus mil. ammo. Fun stuff!

I also have about 12-14 inches of barrel that I figure could be used for a basis of a Paul Luty-esq carbine (semi-auto of course!:rolleyes:) firing NAA's newish .32 round.

http://www.naaminis.com/32NAArel.html

Any comments or suggestions? Any ideas where I might be able to pick up a chamber reamer for this round?

AZDesertRat
January 19th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Because this is a new cartridge the availability of reamers are pretty scarce. The .32NAA is a .380 cartridge necked down to accept .32ACP slugs. Visit www.Brownells.com and review the chamber reamers for both the .380 and .32ACP. You should be able to design a one-off "D" reamer without much trouble. However, be sure to safely test the new chamber. You don't want to get stuck with the moniker of "Lefty":eek:

defiant
January 19th, 2007, 11:45 PM
http://www.mansonreamers.com/

If they don't have them they'll make em. They make quality tools, but they're not cheap. But even if one were available at half the price, its not economical buying a reamer for a one off (unless its something really special).

If you want to build a firearm and need a barrel google for surplus military barrel.

InfernoMDM
January 23rd, 2007, 01:22 AM
sparkchaser - I recently went around shopping for a pocket gun on a whim. I decided not to since I already had a 9mm in a compact size. However I came across your 32 NAA and was intrigued by the rumors about it. The simple information is, the round is apparently as effective as a 380, but isn't something so amazing it would make a carbine extremely effective. Although you would get a increase in many of the ballistic traits, I don't think it would merit a carbine. Also figuring the round has only one major benefit, it's size, the carbine would negate that .

Cobalt.45
January 23rd, 2007, 04:40 AM
This round answers a question that nobody asked.

It reminds me of turbocharging a Honda 50.

Docca
January 23rd, 2007, 07:49 AM
This round answers a question that nobody asked.

It reminds me of turbocharging a Honda 50.

Well stated.

It's about the equivilant of paying extra money to buy .22 magnum ammo.

Q - What can you accomplish with .22 magnum that you can't accomplish with .22 LR? Ammo costs at least double...

A - Nothing.

sparkchaser
January 29th, 2007, 07:04 AM
If you want to build a firearm and need a barrel google for surplus military barrel.

What I have is a cut off section of military surplus barrel.

Although you would get a increase in many of the ballistic traits, I don't think it would merit a carbine.

See above. Just making do with what I have, this is about improvised weapons after all. The reason I picked that particular round is that it has the best overall ballistic traits in a .32 (8mm) sized round. If you're forced to use an underpowered piece of shit, it might as well be the highest powered of the underpowered pieces of shit.

If you find yourself in a race with a Viper and a Porche and all you have to run is a Honda 50 with the stakes being life and death, that turbo might look pretty nice!

Q - What can you accomplish with .22 magnum that you can't accomplish with .22 LR? Ammo costs at least double...

A - Nothing.

After many years of hunting, I can honestly say there are many critters that I'd happily take down with .22 WMR that I'd never attempt with .22 LR, in a rifle at any rate. With pistols you are right, the velocity increase isn't enough to be concerned with. It's kinda like those fellas that are making .50 BMG pistols, great for the novelty, not so much for practicality.

By the looks of things though I may just go with .32 ACP to simplify things a bit.

InfernoMDM
February 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM
I agree with your look at the 32 NAA round. Like most of the gun dealers floating around they really think the new bullet has some merit for pocket pistols. I personally am not a big fan of turning it into a carbine, but I would be interested in seeing it done.

john_smith
February 21st, 2007, 09:37 PM
IIRC the 32NAA is actually made from shortened 9mm brass (380 casings wouldn't safely withstand it's high chamber pressure), and, come to think about it, might actually be quite useful in places like UK etc. Looks like it could - with proper bullets, of course - be actually made armor piercing, yet can be safely fired from a blowback. Also, pieces of rifled barrel and reloadable brass would probably be easiest to find in 7.62 and 9mm, respectively (barrels from assorted deactivated rifles, 9mm brass from shooting ranges frequented by mil/police personnel).

Perhaps a Stetchkin style FA pistol chambered in this - something like the Bill Holmes internal slide design with a longer barrel/grip + double stack mag, for example - might be a more practical alternative to trying to build a decent-powered (9mm or above), locked breech pistol without proper tools.

InfernoMDM
February 22nd, 2007, 02:21 AM
The more I see this post come back up I think it would be a great pet project.

Although I don't think you would get the velocities to penetrate armor.

THAT Dude
April 13th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by docca
A - Nothing.
I feel a need to defend the .22 Magnum.
A .22 Magnum out of a pistol is equivalent to a .22 Long rifle out of a rifle.
http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-941Ultralite.htm
http://www.naaminis.com/naaveloc.html
http://www.gunblast.com/Paco_BlackWidow.htm