View Full Version : User details

NGfan
January 19th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Although I have read and agree with the rules in these forums, the user's details confuse me. It says 'Newbie' under my name, which is probably because I have only been registered for a month, but what affects the change in title? Can I post questions in places other than the water cooler if I am a newbie, even if I have contributed to the form in some way?
I'm thinking of a video/picture walkthrough on the synthesis of NG, and troubleshooting, but am sure it has probably been covered already. Should I, as I woldn't like to go through the whole process, post it up and be banned/flamed... Opinions wanted.

knowledgehungry
January 19th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Your title is based on how many posts you have and that is all(unless you are a moderator or NBK gives you the title "banned" or "asshat" or the like which means that you are no longer with us).

Be careful what you post. Don't ask silly questions outside of the Watercooler, always search before you ask a question or post a new topic. Don't respond to old topics unless you have something useful to add, not just witty. Look at the date the question was posted(if it was a question) and if it was more than a year ago assume that the person really doesn't care about the answer at this point, or has found it out themselves. If you truly have some new information to add to the topic, post away, just make sure that is worth it.

As to the NG find the existing threads on NG read them and make sure what you have will be beneficial if it is post it in the most related NG thread such as Manufacture of NG as opposed to detonation of NG. There is nothing I hate more than 25 different threads about the same topic that more or less say the same thing. Posting new RELEVANT information in an old thread is better than posting it in a separate thread IMHO, this makes the forum better organized and assimilation of data easier.

stupid939
January 19th, 2007, 06:01 PM
There are plenty of NG synths out there somewhere, but some of them are hard to find. The first one I think of is Brainfever's site, and he does it with H2SO4 and NH4NO3/Nitric Acid. His site is here:

http://www.geocities.com/brainfevert/home.html?200617

I also have one that I put up awhile ago. See what you think. When I dream about making new explosives, I usually take pictures the 2nd time, and that way, I could put together tutorial (which I use the next time) and can put some pointers on there for myself and others. Here it is:

http://stupid939.tripod.com/id16.html

And BTW, I pretty much put the site up because its hard to find synths with pictures. :(

ultma
January 20th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Although I have read and agree with the rules in these forums, the user's details confuse me. It says 'Newbie' under my name, which is probably because I have only been registered for a month, but what affects the change in title? Can I post questions in places other than the water cooler if I am a newbie, even if I have contributed to the form in some way?
I'm thinking of a video/picture walkthrough on the synthesis of NG, and troubleshooting, but am sure it has probably been covered already. Should I, as I woldn't like to go through the whole process, post it up and be banned/flamed... Opinions wanted.

Have you done a nitro synth before?! start small have some where safe to work and practice your chemisiry.

How much chemistry experiance have you had!

Start small get a feel for the power your working with,
and please dont blow yourself, your house or somone elses place up.

QzarBaron
January 20th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Good site stupid939, I have been having a hard time finding good picture tutorials on making different compounds and I must say you really solved a lot of my problems. I also really enjoyed the section on chemicals, great collection of ideas there. I would be fantastic if you could finish some of the sections (I'd like to see the thing about blasting caps).

As for NGfan, I must agree with ultma that you really need to have a solid grasp on chemistry (and it would be a good idea if you are comfortable with performing different kinds of experiments) before you go into any type of explosive. This might appear to be a little childish at first, but this book helped me understand chemistry and many reactions and concepts. It is dissapointing to see that books like these can't be found at bookstores or schools these days, It is probably one of the few textbooks that I've found enjoyable to read.

http://duggmirror.com/general_sciences/Banned_The_Golden_Book_of_Chemistry_Experiments_60 0_book_for_free/

NGfan
January 20th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Yes, I aprecciate your concern, but I have already made NG quite a few times. In the process I seem to have also had the weirdest problems too - e.g the whole mix turned dark yellow, and the addition of water made the mix go green where the two met and produce NO2 gasses, akin to uncontrolled nitration, only proportional to the amount of water added... So you haven't really answered my question. Do or don't?

stupid939
January 21st, 2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks QzarBaron. I haven't worked on it for awhile, but I have been trying to add some stuff lately. I am working on a homemade hotplate today, and I may do some blasting caps. I have seen maybe 1 or 2 blasting cap tutorials, but they usually suck. I may do some low-power cap tutorials today or tomorrow, but I need to have some dreams about making some base explosives for higher power blasting caps. Thanks for the opinion of my site.

As you also said, a good chemistry background is needed too. I took chemistry awhile ago, but forgot everything, so a few months ago, I bought a book called "Beginning Chemistry". The link you provided is great too, but once you get into explosives more (probably before you do), you will need to purchase/find some organic and inorganic chemistry books. This is an alternative to taking semester long chemistry courses at the local community college.

NGFan, if your acids are dyed, that color may be carried over to the end product. This has happened to me a few times, but it doesn't affect the performance.

One other big thing. You always ADD THE ACID TO THE WATER. This is the way it has always been, and you can control the heat this way. Add the acid to the water slowly and monitor the temperature. That may be why you are getting NOx fumes. You should also use distilled water so that you don't have anything contaminating your reaction.

QzarBaron
January 21st, 2007, 06:54 PM
Yes, I aprecciate your concern, but I have already made NG quite a few times. In the process I seem to have also had the weirdest problems too - e.g the whole mix turned dark yellow, and the addition of water made the mix go green where the two met and produce NO2 gasses, akin to uncontrolled nitration, only proportional to the amount of water added... So you haven't really answered my question. Do or don't?

Yeah I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were asking whether you should post one or not... my brain assumed you meant where can I find a video/tutorial on the making of it. You could always put up a website like other people have done and then link people to it whenever the question is asked on the forum. Make sure you have your process down before you do so. Any visual aids and resources are priceless in a hobby as secluded as this.

megalomania
January 21st, 2007, 11:21 PM
I think I can best answer your questions out of anyone since I’ll be the one with my finger on the trigger so to speak… Yes, it is true user titles are based on post count. You may post in any section you wish as a newbie, just be sure the material you post is relevant to the thread, section, and The Forum. In general the higher your post count the more latitude you get when asking questions, and the more favorable your responses will be from other members.

Asking stupid questions is a quick way to get yourself banned. Contributing useful unique information is always welcome, and is the best way to get yourself credibility. The Forum does depend on people providing information after all. Just be sure the information you provide is not ripped from somewhere else and repackaged with your name instead of the original contributor.

A visual guide on the synthesis of nitroglycerine would be most welcome. A picture is worth a thousand words, and video consists of 24 pictures a second :) Just be sure you don’t include your face or other personally identifying characteristics if you are not properly licensed with a BATF high explosives manufacturer license (if you are a US citizen). I will assume you are…

As an aside, I am in the midst of revamping my website. One new feature I intend to add is a sort of Forum thread directly on the individual synthesis pages for people to comment on my procedures and add their own variations or alternative methods of synthesis. I also want to add a form where people can submit their own content for explosives or other chemicals that I do not have listed, and I will include that content on my website. Full credit will be given to the contributing author of course. In this way I hope to encourage people who may not be up to the task of creating their own website from scratch to utilize the popularity of my name, and the longevity of my website as the basis for getting their material out. I will be celebrating the 10th anniversary of my website this summer. I officially placed it online July 4, 1997.

I will act as editor in chief to make sure the contributed information is grammatically and technically accurate, as well as to format the writing to fit the website’s style. Keep me in mind when you get your write up done as I will hopefully be flogging this feature heavily to get the word out and scare up contributers.

QzarBaron
January 22nd, 2007, 09:38 PM
I will be celebrating the 10th anniversary of my website this summer. I officially placed it online July 4, 1997.

Congrats Mega, I can't stress it enough the importance of the things that you have done. I don't know where any of us would be without you or nbk.

I feel that I was extreamly fortunate to find a source of reliable information among the fog of crap that is found on the internet. Just yesterday I found a website that showed how to make a zippo with an Acetone Peroxide core... and the guy set it off in his hand.

http://www.textfiles.com/uploads/zippo.txt

I just hope no one is stupid enough to try something like this.

NGfan
January 27th, 2007, 08:15 PM
O.K then I will. It may take some time, though, as my exams are upcoming, but I found time yesterday to make some :rolleyes: Hah, I put 4 droplets of it on some tissue paper and sprinkled some Al. powder. Then, sandwiched said paper between two, 4 Kg steel plates I told my unsuspecting, earmuffed, dad to give it a whack with a hammer. After gingerly striking it, he was surprised, to say the least, to find that it leapt up to head height (more than 1m up from current position) with a deafening bang. Almost brained him. I did tell him to stand back. All he could say was "That was so wicked, what was that?" and then go for a lie down.

I have pictures of the finished product, I used a different method and got great yeild, unfortunetly though I didn't catalogue it, so that's a must for next time.
Also, how do I put pics on the page without having a URL, just from my computer?

Megalomania, have you ever considered giving templates out to other administrators, and if they are good, patching them over your web page/s? It would take half the time than doing it by yourself, and wouldn't be giving them direct access to the site. Just a thought.

It's weird, my water is pH 7, but my NG around 2-3. I have been washing it for ages now.

Btw, all my ingredients are lab-grade and undyed. I still get color varying from clear to yellow, or milky inbetween. It's just that sometimes, say, the whole mix turns dark yellow, and the addition of it to water turns it green, or blue, or black and lots of NOx gasses produced. Or, the addition of glycerin does not change anything, and nothing is at the bottom of the water after. Or, when neutralizing the NG, it dissapears into white crystals, that was when my friend added the NaHCO3 by hand... Still, I don't mind, it's not my acid, and you live and learn. Also, what is the end product of uncontrolled nitration? I mean, if you can salvage something... I heard it was used as rocket fuel.

I would type some more, but the blisters on my fingers say it all. Goodnight...