View Full Version : Essential gear - You don't leave the house without...?

aikon
January 20th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I'm interested what kind of gear the forum members keeping with them all the time?
Here's my little list:

Inova X5 (you never know when the lights go out)
Swiss knife (Hey, it worked for MC Gyver)
Ontario RAT 3 (for delicate jobs)
FOX OC-mace (proven agressor stopper)
Cheap SouthOrd. pick set (I'm getting better with every lock)

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6435/546122le.jpg

c.Tech
January 20th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Nice set of gear you have got there.

I’m not sure what its like in your country but in my country if I got caught with that I would be expecting to get my ass pulled into the cop shop for interrogation.

I’ve been meaning to get a knife for self-defence but without the proper know-how to use a knife it's more likely to get turned on me, so I find it safer not to take one.

I take my phone, wallet and keys. It’s enough for me. My neighbourhood is safe enough.

Das Räumungskommando
January 20th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Among my EDC there is a knife (Benchmade Griptilian), my mobile phone, wallet and keys.

But I wonder what you need that lockpicking set for... ;-)

knowledgehungry
January 20th, 2007, 12:04 PM
I used to carry a 6 inch hunting knife, sometimes a homemade billy club(12 inches long Oak with 8 oz of lead in it, stained a beautiful cherry red :D), now I don't really carry anything except my car keys, wallet and phone, because I am so tough I don't need to carry anything else ;) (The real reason is that where I live if I am going to need to defend myself my assailant will be armed with a handgun, and my best bet would be to go along or take their gun not waste my time with a knife). My car keys do make a perfect fist pack however.

As for pepper spray my thoughts on it are that it takes too long to get out and use for the amount of damage it does. I'm not going to waste my time trying to fumble for pepper spray so I can try to spray somebody with something that has absolutely no guarantee of stopping them. I can do more damage quicker with my fists.

aikon
January 20th, 2007, 12:11 PM
By now it's not illegal to carry that stuff in my country.
I don't display the items - neither in public nor to my friends, except the swiss knife and the flashlight.
The mace, pickset and the rat-3 (wich is not that big and easily concealed)
are stored away from prying looks.

Defendu
January 20th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Weapons I always have on me when I step outside:
CRKT M16-03Z - For reinforced hammerfist strikes, wetwork.
"Combat" boots with composite safety toes - Kicking, stomping, foot protection.

When I go out at night I carry a flashlight and sometimes wear sap gloves.

In reply to c.tech, read Kill or Get Killed(in my uploads folder on the FTP) if you want to learn knifing basics.

What Kill or Get Killed teaches about knife defense summed up in a minute and a half:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3314413849946719103

A street knife attack for comparison:

http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/1148816560/Innocent_Kid_Gets_Fatally_Stabbed_Through_the_Hear t

knowledgehungry: Striking with car keys between your knuckles is not a good idea in my opinion. How are you going to react if you stab so hard that the keys cut into the webbing of your fingers? Why waste time putting the keys between your fingers(or between your thumb and index finger) when you could simply jab your finger tips into the enemy's eyes as a distraction before applying something more effective?

For a more effective personal protection plan, I recommend you ask for advice from a "womens' self defense" instructor, and do the exact opposite.

knowledgehungry
January 20th, 2007, 02:12 PM
The car keys I have are the big ones with the hard plastic looks like this http://http://www.motorsadmin.com/images/car_keys.jpg, I hold it in my fist with the tip protruding slightly from in between my ring and middle fingers. I use it as a fist pack, not as a stabbing instrument really.

The way it is held makes it very unlikely for the webbing of my fingers to be cut as I am really holding the plastc part not the key itself, and even if it was to cut my fingers it really wouldn't faze me. When your adrenaline is pumping you don't notice stuff like that, believe me. I have been in fights and afterwards seen cuts that I have zero clue how they got there, hell I have been at work and found some pretty bad cuts that I don't know how I got them.

EDIT: As to the time it takes to put it between my knuckles, if I see any potential for trouble i.e. A male over the age of 15 at night(if there aren't other people about) the keys are already being held in my hand in the manner described. I'm not paranoid, it just really isn't a lot of work to hold your keys in your hand that way. If I was surprised by someone I would just use fists, I would not waste my time trying to grab something.

nbk2000
January 20th, 2007, 02:33 PM
A name-brand multitool, a light of some kind (either a surefire or a panther-vision hat), and a lighter (of course! :)).

Jacks Complete
January 20th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I've got it pretty tight now.

Ear plugs
Full size SAK/multi-tool
Torch
Lock pick
Money + Keys + other modern essentials
Boots
Vest (after dark mostly)
Gloves
Phone

file
January 20th, 2007, 11:17 PM
My list:
A little folding knife
My keys
My picks
No ID
Cash in pocket(never in a wallet, too easy to steal)
A pair of small vicegrips

That's all...

zeocrash
January 21st, 2007, 11:21 AM
Things i always have on me when i go outside:
Keys
Phone
Wallet

Bert
January 21st, 2007, 06:37 PM
A multi tool, primarily for the cutting tools it carries (knives, saw and files). A flashlight. Something that can make a fire, either a lighter or large "metal match". Clothing that I would be able to walk home in if a vehicle is incapacitated. (The weather here kills people). If I thought I needed a specific weapon to leave the house, I would not leave the house.

nbk2000
January 21st, 2007, 08:20 PM
I have to wonder what's up with the carrying of the lockpicks?

Are you guys planning on seizing an opportunity for an impromptu burglary?

I don't know the laws about such things in your states/countries, but here, possession of lockpicks by others than licensed locksmiths can be considered prima facia intent to commit a felony burglary.

Unless you're intending to do so, why risk it? Very un-RTPB.

I, myself, don't carry ID with me unless I speciifcally intend to buy something requiring it. No sense making it easy for Mr. Piggy. :p

Oh, and I leave the multi-tool and surefire at home, unless I anticipate needing them, as the pigs love to steal such things for themselves if they arrest you.

I leave the pre-paid cellphone turned off and at home unless, again, I anticipate a need for it. No need to drag around a mobile locating beacon.

Regarding cellphones, you guys are using the keyguard function of your phones, correct? Keeps piggies or muggers from snooping through your phonebook or using your phone to impersonate you. ;)

Gerbil
January 21st, 2007, 08:48 PM
nbk, don't you think that you might be just a little bit paranoid? I mean, are the police really going to want to track your every movement?

ultma
January 21st, 2007, 09:55 PM
you better belive it

even more so if you catch there interest (drug ring,terror suspect)

dont forget they can activate your cellphone and use it as a remote listening device to.:mad:

nbk2000
January 22nd, 2007, 02:42 AM
They may not want to track the every movement of a Gerbil, but they certainly would those of a Natural Born Killer. ;)

ShadowMyGeekSpace
January 22nd, 2007, 07:41 AM
you better belive it

even more so if you catch there interest (drug ring,terror suspect)

dont forget they can activate your cellphone and use it as a remote listening device to.:mad:This is not true. Through e911 compliance the phone can be told to not hang up if you call 911 however. I believe you're refering to a post on slashdot awhile back... the phone was just bugged.

aikon
January 22nd, 2007, 12:42 PM
Well, I guess is NBK is right (as always - never question the master :D ) about the carrying of lock picks.
Although it's not illegal in my country I'll leave it at home from now on.

festergrump
January 22nd, 2007, 02:40 PM
A while back, while searching the statewide online offender database for a felonious friend of mine who happens to be presently incarcerated, I noticed several people with the same last name as him in my inqueries. A few of them (all convicted of felony offenses or they would not presently be in state-run facilities) were charged only with "Burglary Tools" as an offense.

I'm not sure what all exactly would constitute "burglary tools", but one should assume that lock picks are amongst the items on the top of the list of tools this felony charge encompasses in this part of the US...

---------------------
On original topic, my situation has recently changed, somewhat.

While I really don't need to drive anywhere often anymore and I rarely leave the confines of my own property, when I do venture abroad there are only two things I am always sure to bring along... my dog and a handgun. Both are intimidating and will bite when provoked but neither ever ensures safety, thus the doubling up on defensive advantages.

Not driving = no wallet. Not purchasing anything = no money (which is never carried in my wallet, anyway).

One could say we (dog and I) make an intimidating target with so little reward for a what could be a difficult victory... ;)

A knife would be the only thing I can think of that I should add to my short ventures. Just a relatively small, sharp drop-point or tanto-tip blade with rope cutting serrations the length of the backside would be nice for those 'better to have it and not need' it situations (LOL... such as to relieve an attacker or enemy combatant of body parts my dog refuses to let go of :D ).

Match
January 22nd, 2007, 03:54 PM
Since I visit the gym a lot, I find my self never to be with out my gym bag.
I have it quite full of necessities, all of which are concealed, some of the contents include:

Screw drivers + -
Muliti tool
Needle nose
Locking grip pliars
Electrical tape
duct tape
Wire
latex Gloves

L.E.D flash light (2)
Army issue knife fork and spoon
Pocket knife (with knife fork and spoon)
Spare cell phone and charger

Water bottle
Bowl
hand sanitizer (getting sick sucks)
Tupperware containing my meals for that day
Razor, tweezers, soap, deodorant, cologne, tooth brush, toothpaste, gum ( women are important too :) )
Change of clothes (work out attire)
Small work out journal
Fisher space pen

and right now I have some winter stuff in there;
Gortex gloves
un-issued trigger finger mits with liners ( :D )
Lined toque

This all fits into a rather small gym bag, I bring it in with me when I go somewhere, but I normally just leave it locked in the car. I had my under-amour bag stolen a couple months ago with over $1000 worth of shit in it, so there is a down side to accumulating so much in one place.

I keep my I.D cards, debit cards, etc in liners( like those used to protect hockey cards) but not in any wallet, as I believe that I'd rather loose just one then all.

Since I live out of town, I always have to take my vehicle with me, which I must admit is equipped with quite the pack aswell. I could live (better then most) out of it.

I'd like to start bringing around some sort of personal protection device, (aside from these lethal fists) and I'd also like to develop some form of concealment for them on my person.

metallicash
January 22nd, 2007, 04:46 PM
you all seem to take alot of "equipment" with you it could be very incriminating. all I take is money (not much), my phone and if i know someone is after me my folding lock-knife (I call it son) :)
I would only take the lock picks etc if I was upto something.

nbk2000
January 22nd, 2007, 07:17 PM
duct tape
Wire
latex Gloves

Seems you forgot to list Ski Mask, Lubricant, and Condoms. :p

And you should know that zip-tie's are the new duct tape. :)

I don't even want to know what you plan on doing with the tupperware and spork set. :eek:

Carrying lockpicks just to be carrying them, is k3wL'ish - or rather, Mall Ninja behaviour.

When carrying cash, you shouldn't carry more than $50. Less is better, actually.

If you carry hundreds of dollars around on you and pigs pull you over, they'll assume (depending on the neighboorhood and what you look like) that you are either a drug dealer, a robber, or a thief. Especially if they find lockpicks and weapons on you. :rolleyes:

Plus, if some fuckers do take you down, you don't want to reward them with a grip of cash and a bunch of neat tools, eh?

As for remote turn-on of telephones, that IS possible, if your phone is capable of running programs, such as java or flash. It's not possible if you have a disposable POS phone (like mine ;)) which doesn't have all the optional bells-and-whistles computing capability.

ultma
January 22nd, 2007, 08:11 PM
This is not true. Through e911 compliance the phone can be told to not hang up if you call 911 however. I believe you're refering to a post on slashdot awhile back... the phone was just bugged.

I found it at dailytech in december

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5184

not sure if its 100% or a hoax like you said

tiac03
January 23rd, 2007, 12:49 AM
If you are going to keep lock opening tools with you keep them in your car. If you are good enough to use them they are always nice to keep around incase you or someone you know accidentally locks themselves out. Keeping them in your pocket is just asking for trouble unless you are a locksmith. Plus if the cops stop you they will take the picks and you will have to go out and buy somemore. Unless you pick for a hobby or as a job don't carry picks on your person.

(Anyways If you can use picks properly you can improvise picks on the fly, for simple picking.)

As for me, I travel light.

If walking by myself late at night I will carry my trusty K-BAR or my cheaper toy of similar size. (Best to make sure the only time you take it out is to kill them though, Surprise is your best friend, If they don't expect you to have something to defend yourself with, you are better off.)

I Also carry 2 bobby pins on different parts of clothing Incase I need to get out of cuffs or jumbo zip-ties (tie-wraps). (Non police use though, you don't want a cop catching you after you picked your cuffs...) Although I will probably never need to pick cuffs, for their weight I'll still carry them.

Apart from that, I carry my wallet and Phone. (I'm not as "Dangerous/scary" to the Gov't as NBK so I'm not worried about being harrassed by the law too much.)

Gave my Gf a Kubotan I made, for when she is walking alone. (Simple directions I gave her: "Hit them hard with it somewhere on their face neck or head (Good for cracking skulls), and run away")

I find the more stuff you carry the less likely you are of managing to use any of it.

Use the Macgyver approach, Pack light and pick up things along the way.

DMSOnMyVeins
January 23rd, 2007, 01:30 AM
I never go anywhere without my Springfield Armory 1911A1 TRP. She's my pride and joy :)

Bert
January 23rd, 2007, 01:48 AM
Since I visit the gym a lot, I find my self never to be with out my gym bag.

In my old neighborhood, if you didn't fit the demographic and were carrying a gym bag, the cops asumed you were out to burglarize. Plenty of people got to have their sneakers (or whatever) inspected by the local police for the crime of being scruffy or black and possessing a gym bag.

Match
January 23rd, 2007, 08:16 AM
In my old neighborhood, if you didn't fit the demographic and were carrying a gym bag, the cops asumed you were out to burglarize. Plenty of people got to have their sneakers (or whatever) inspected by the local police for the crime of being scruffy or black and possessing a gym bag.

Good, Thats expected, what kind of scruffy nig-nog is going to be able to afford a gym membership anyway? :o

festergrump
January 23rd, 2007, 09:03 AM
The kind of nig-nogs police forces nowdays regularly attempt to train to hold a pistol upright long enough to hand them a badge and send them out into the world to "bust a cap" in some crime (read: adjust things in the neighborhood, and that's only if they don't make them mayor, governor, or congressman, instead :eek: ).

Now when you are on your way to the gym in your polo shirt and Dickies while carrying your duffle bag full of goodies you'll be even more suspect than a couple of knuckle-dragging 14 year old niglets sprinting down the street throwing signs, sporting 'bling' out their grills, with even a smoking Glock in each hand... spilling diamonds out their pants like Antwerp just blew up in their pockets!

Honestly, though, Match. Lose the duffle bag. (and the serial rape kit inside it ;) ).

Match
January 23rd, 2007, 04:45 PM
Now when you are on your way to the gym in your polo shirt and Dickies while carrying your duffle bag full of goodies

Honestly, though, Match. Lose the duffle bag. (and the serial rape kit inside it ;) ).

Come on now, a rape kit :confused:
It's a small gym bag (not a duffel bag) and my goodies take up little space and their weight is not an issue. It's perfect for going from

Home->truck-> work(gym)-> truck->buddies house-> truck-> home.

The effects I have in it are mostly things that I found my self needing, so thats why they are there. I don't carry it around with me when I got shopping or take the dog for walks....:rolleyes:

Latex gloves are a life saver when you have to do anything with oil/paint/silicone and you'd rather not get your hands dirty, not to mention great for treating wounds, or picking up after your dog.

Not everything is about delinquency,

nbk2000
January 23rd, 2007, 09:16 PM
Being a cop isn't about arresting the guilty, it's about filling quotas and making 'good' busts that get you promoted.

Say you're walking down the street with your gym bag, and piggy pulls you over, tosses your bag, takes your name, and lets you go on down the road.

A week later, SWAT is kicking down your door because a rapie took place in your area, and the piggy remembers stopping a guy carrying a gym bag with duct-tape, wire, and latex gloves.

The DA will add the ski mask and condoms for the jury, since you're obviously a dangerous predator who knows to get rid of such incriminating evidence but, thanks to vigilant Officer Pork-o, your days of crime are over and you're One-Strike'd into a life sentence as a sexual predator.

Didn't do it? Who cares? The DA doesn't, because he's got another conviction to parade during re-election campaigns. The cop doesn't because he got a promotion. The jury doesn't because they're stupid sheeple who feel saaaaaaaafer

Nobody cares except your lawyer, and only as long as the money lasts, so you're fucked because you didn't have the good sense to keep from setting yourself up for a fall.

Charon
January 24th, 2007, 12:45 AM
gerber multi tool,
cold steel el hombre,
wallet, keys
cell phone
pad of paper and a pen
magnum steel toe tac boots

Alexires
January 24th, 2007, 03:33 AM
While carrying lock picks on your person is asking to get busted (in Aus anyway), I must confess that I have found quite a few times in the past that I needed to pick a lock and didn't have a) the skills or b) the tools to do so.

Situations from loosing the key for your room to needed to break into your own locker at school has popped up a few times. If the locks you use are just normal padlocks, carry a chainsaw file with you. They aren't very big, double as an effective weapon and will cut through most padlocks given enough time.

SpookyKid
January 24th, 2007, 11:19 PM
I bring
small flash light
A lighter & Smoke's
My knife

augoldminer
January 25th, 2007, 05:08 AM
A hook pick and a tension tool can be made that will fit in a pen or a flashlite and the cops will not find them. also a small shim to open cuffs can be put in a pocket cut in the inside of your belt. cut a small slot in the belt and push a sharp blade in to form a pocket.

I always keep a slimjim hidden on the outside of my car for lockouts.

One thing I carry is a home made metal scribe that when you flip your wrist becomes a tool that looks like a long ice pick. good for sticking "things".
I keep the inside spike coated with pepper spray for instant pain.
Closed up, If the cops find it I tell them it is a work tool. I am a home machinist.

A big cop type maglite makes a good weapon and the cops can not prove anything. It is even better if you replace one of the batteries with a lead weight and use the bulb for the next shorter maglite.

oxbeast
January 25th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Spyderco folder
Leatherman tool
Stainless steel pen
Mini-flashlight
Lighter
Pre-paid phone
Wallet with residence card. Unfortunately I have to carry that, since I am not a citizen here. Never been stopped though, since I'm white and can speak the local code as well as English.

c.Tech
January 26th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Thanks you your mention of the book Defendu, I had already had it in my collection of files having a quick flick through it looks quite good.

While carrying lock picks on your person is asking to get busted (in Aus anyway), I must confess that I have found quite a few times in the past that I needed to pick a lock and didn't have a) the skills or b) the tools to do so.

From what I’ve seen a bump key is both easy to make and use. It should work for your lock well enough when you get into those 'locked out' situations, I like many others just have a spare key hidden outside.

Talking about spare keys, I would like to mention a funny situation with a friend’s sister. To let her mum know where the front key was she left a note on the front door saying the key was under the mat. :p

nbk2000
January 26th, 2007, 05:18 AM
I'm assuming most people here don't leave the house without their shoes on their feet, so locking yourself out of the house or car is impossible if you follow this simple idea I've used for years - putting a spare key for your house and car under the soles of every pair of shoes you have.

:)

1 key in each shoe, of course.

This way, anytime you have your shoes on, you always have a way into your house and car.

This assumes that you don't have some weird key that can't fit in your shoe.

Another thing to do is buy a pre-paid calling card and copy down the numbers in permanent marker on the underside of the insoles.

This way you can always make a call, and no money required. $20 isn't a lot to have tied up in the assurance of always being able to call friends for help.

Cash is always helpful, so sewing a $20 (or more) into every pair of pants you have is another way of ensuring that you CYA.

Now, anytime you leave the house, you've got spare keys, cash, and a way of calling someone with no need for change.

tiac03
January 27th, 2007, 01:23 AM
also a small shim to open cuffs can be put in a pocket cut in the inside of your belt. cut a small slot in the belt and push a sharp blade in to form a pocket.

What if they double lock your cuffs.... Which everyone trained to use cuffs will do.

From what I’ve seen a bump key is both easy to make and use. It should work for your lock well enough when you get into those 'locked out' situations, I like many others just have a spare key hidden outside

Why make a bump key for your own house, Mightest well just carry a regular key with you that doesn't require extra work, And you still need to gain some practice using bump keys, not to mention different lock profiles require different keys... This means you will need a different bump key for each keyway.

Situations from loosing the key for your room to needed to break into your own locker at school has popped up a few times. If the locks you use are just normal padlocks, carry a chainsaw file with you. They aren't very big, double as an effective weapon and will cut through most padlocks given enough time.

Most of the cheap padlocks/ combo locks out there can be opened with shims (Not dudleys). It takes me less time to use one of those than it does to put the combo into my Master lock combo lock. (Not to mention it would take you less time to open than with a file ... and is easier to carry with you since it is much smaller. I keep a heavy duty one with me in my wallet just incase I need to open one, and disposable ones can easily be made with a pair of scissors and a softdrink/beer can.

ONLY
January 27th, 2007, 01:48 AM
When I’m in my car
Glock 27
knife
Lighter
Handcuff shim
Pen
Assorted tools
Wallet

On foot
Pen
Knife

Sausagemit
January 27th, 2007, 11:36 PM
When I go out for 3 am bike rides I never have my wallet or my phone on me because I may be up to some wrongdooing depending on my mood. What I do have on me is...

-my keys
-a set of needle nose vice grips
-a set of metric allen wrenches
-a 15 mm end wrench
-two 12" cresent wrenches
-a flashlight
-a pair of leather full handed non ventalated riding gloves
-a small folding knife
-a pencil and paper
-my mp3 player & headphones

It just so happens that the bolts for most gates happen to be 15 mm and so do the wheel nuts on my bike. The two cressent wrenches can be used to break almost any padlock and also to remove the crank bearings in my bike. Pretty much all the other stuff is self explanatory.

I have been stopped by the pigs before for lookin just plain suspicious riding a bike around at 3-5 am. I have let one of them search my bag but I didn't even give him my name, bassicly just to test the guy. He spent most of the time eyeballing the small folding knife and the flashlight and didn't even glance twice at the tools, which is exactly what I would want. And I sent him away laughing which is allways a good thing.

anonymous411
January 28th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Bare minimum? Wallet on a keychain, including:

Swiss Army Knife
LED flashlight
Monthly MTA bus pass
Two open-ended bus tickets (Chinatown bus and Greyhound)

However, day-to-day, I carry a portable travel kit in the bottom of my briefcase, which includes the following:

Travel-sized listerine, tooth floss, mini-toothpaste and tooth brush.
Kleenex, wet wipes, hand sanitizer, latex gloves.
Mirror, tweezers, deodorant, shampoo, chapstick, gum, mirror.
First aid kit, mini multi-tool, wire ring saw, matches, space blanket.
Spoon, nalgene bottle, padlock.
Insignia player, USB drive, camera, phone (battery out).
Pen, notebook, 39 cent stamps.

Since I work out a lot, most days I carry protein bars, gym shoes and a change of clothes. It's a great feeling to know I could jump on a bus and travel absolutely anywhere, any time I feel like it, and live completely out of my briefcase.

tiac: "I find the more stuff you carry the less likely you are of managing to use any of it."

I agree up to a point, but find that I use quite a bit of the hygiene stuff in my travel kit every single day. Since I always go for the smallest size possible, it's a lot more compact than it sounds--and in a neatly-zipped black pouch in the bottom of a briefcase, who's going to notice? Wet wipes are a godsend. I could certainly do without them, but it's a good civilizing influence. ;)

NBK: "When carrying cash, you shouldn't carry more than $50. Less is better, actually."

I have mixed feelings about this one. Depending on how much you can afford to lose, I'd say up to $100 is fine. $200, if you think you might need to travel.

Jacks Complete
January 28th, 2007, 10:06 AM
$50 might be a little low, that's about £25-35. That would be little enough for a good meal at a resturant, and in a big city it would likely cover the entrance to a bar for two, and perhaps a drink or two.

I'd say it depends where you are, and whether you can justify the amount. Anything above £250 would be suss around here, unless you can come out with something great, rather than just plausible.

I used to carry a lighter rigged for a huge flame. Just because people say "You got a light?" then try to mug you. A foot long flame hitting their baseball caps changes their minds fast!

I don't think much of the bag carrying idea, personally. Far to easy to leave behind, and not fast enough to be useful in 0 seconds if something did happen.

Anyone who thinks they can hide anything well enough to avoid the police should they be picked up and taken to the station is dreaming, imo. They pull everything apart, even pens, because they know full well that a tab of acid is a tiny dot of blotting paper in size, and if they can get you for drugs, they don't need to worry about making anything up. Hiding a lockpick would be near impossible. I might stop carrying mine, or I might start carrying a few small locks with me - for when I am bored.

nbk2000
January 28th, 2007, 10:42 AM
I base what I carry on the premise of being stopped by the pigs and taken in for questioning to the station.

Hence:

No weapons
I am the weapon. :)

Minimal cash
Just enough to pay for gas or bus fare and a little food. Not enough to be a drug user, let alone a dealer.

No ID
I am not a number, I am a Free Man! (What brit TV show is that from? ;))

No Cellphone
I don't carry cattle tags for tracking, nor beholden to anyones beck-and-call.

No 'Job' Related Tools Off-The-Job
Lockpicks, weapons, body-armour, etc. Just an RTPB violation in waiting. Why carry shit around that's going to get you in trouble for no profit? :confused:

If you have to have a pouch/purse/bag/tote/etc. to carry the shit, you're carrying too much and probably won't have it with you when you need it.

And if you feel the need to hide it, it's because you know you shouldn't be carrying it in the first place, so why are you?

No Snivel Gear
A lot of what I'm seeing listed is what's known as 'Snivel Gear'.

It's not actually important to the mission, just to pampering the users sensitive sensibilities. Don't be afraid of being cold, dirty, sore, or bleeding. Believe it or not, you'll live to see another day if you don't have your nappy wipes and Hello Kitty! Band-Aids. ;)

Chaosmark
January 28th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Perhaps the snivel gear is just pampering (heck, no maybe about it). However, during common interactions with people, they tend to have certain expectations as to what a 'normal' person will look like. If we don't keep ourselves at least partially clean, we stand out that much more from the crowd, and won't be able to do interactions in the same way that we might need to (though that arguement is probably better for including snivel gear in a survival pack, not a day-to-day to and from work case).

Hygine <i>is</i> at least partially important, if nothing more than preventing yourself from getting sick from eating with infected hands. If its available, we might as well avoid Africa's hygine habits.

ShadowMyGeekSpace
January 28th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Infected hands? You severely underestimate your immune system. That's not even an issue unless you're in a third world nation, and even then people get along just fine(just don't drink the water unless you boil it, this gos for mexico too).

knowledgehungry
January 28th, 2007, 03:22 PM
People's immune systems have been severely weakened because of over-cleaning. In terms of the immune system, what does not kill it makes it stronger.

There is also a growing number of scientists who believe that the incredible rise in allergies is due to a lack of natural exposure to germs and allergens.

A certain level of cleanliness is expected of someone, but this consists of taking a shower daily or semi-daily, not having germ free hands(unless you are a surgeon).

I would rather get sick now when I am young and strong and develop antibodies for when I am older, then leave in a sterile enviroment, and die at the age of 40 because my immune system is so weak, and my body is not strong enough to defend agaisnt a relatively benign infection.

anonymous411
January 28th, 2007, 10:19 PM
"Snivel gear"? SNIVEL GEAR?!? Heh, okay, good one. I'll remember that one whether I want to or not! LOL

Seriously, SG can also be classed as a subset of "perception management tools". I know for a fact that if you guys used a little MORE SG, you wouldn't have to be so concerned with getting stopped and searched by random pork. I never have trouble with the cops--ever--because I make it a point to never "fit the profile". Most cops are creatures of habit: If you look like shit, you get treated like shit. Look every inch the "fine upstanding citizen", and ninety-nine out of a hundred will smile and wave you right on through.

Any intelligence professional will tell you it's infinitely easier to bullshit your way into places you don't belong if you look like you "fit the part." My daily domain happens to be that of the Manhattan upper-middle class yuppie, so wearing sweats and sneakers just isn't an option. Good grooming may indeed be an artificial, oppressive, socially-constructed crock of shit, I won't deny it. But you have to admit, in the right hands, it's a very useful crock of shit. Frankly, I'm sick to death of getting lectured about using your appearance to express your "authentic self". FUCK authenticity. I know exactly who and what I am, and I don't need to fit anyone's preconceptions to do so. Conformity (of ALL kinds) is for suckers.

Like you, NBK, I loathe the system don't believe in nine-to-five work either. I'm probably the only other person here who spent this spring and summer rent-free by choice, establishing four different squats and "safe rooms" (and numerous caches) in the heart of Washington DC. The one difference is I did it while dressing professionally and wearing Gucci loafers. If I didn't have such an elaborate SG kit in my briefcase, it would have been a hell of a lot harder to do.

How many of you could pull off walking right through the front entrance of a private country club--and spend all day chilling out like you own the fucking place? Without the staff so much as asking a single question? LOL In this sorry excuse of a society, if you're intelligent, well-dressed, confident, and can pleasantly smile as you look people in the eye--you can get away with damn near anything. SG is just another means to an end.

Anyway, to each his own. Just for an experiment, you might want to try dressing like an upper middle class sheeple-- and observe the enormous difference in the way cops (and other sheeple) treat you. I guarantee you're in for a real shock.

nbk2000
January 28th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Here's a list from http://bouhammer.com/nucleus/AfghanBlog.php?itemid=335

'Snivel Gear' is a term used in the service, since the user of snivel gear would snivel if they didn't have it.

+++++++++++++

List of gear for A-stan
There are many people reading this blog that are getting ready to come over here in the near-future or have loved ones over here. I have put together a list of good to have equipment.

The following list is from my experiences and from friends in Iraq that pertained to here also. Some of these won’t be needed until you get in country, so you may want to set them off to side for mama to pack up for you and send to you once you get settled.

1. Any extra Class VIII you can bring from HS is good to have.
2. Wolfhook single point slings
3. Desert Tan Spray paint
4. Space blanket(s)
5. 100 mph tape, 550 cord, TP, other expendables you think would come in handy
6. Drop Leg Holster (blackhawk or SERPA) and Uncle Mike’s Holster for wearing around every day (drop leg will wear a hole in ACUs over time). I also have one for my IBA so I can have my 9mm handy when in the gun hatch going through towns.
7. Weapons lube that DOESN'T ATTRACT SAND. (MILTECH or Remington Dry Lube)
8. Two copies of addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.
9. 2 pairs of GOOD boot insoles
10. A Good Tactical Flashlight (SureFire, even though you will get issued one with M4)
11. Red/White light headlamp
12. Spare pair of running shoes
13. MP3 PLAYER W/ x-tra pair of spare headphones
14. Enough batteries to last you 30 days
15. Chapstick
16. Lotion
17. 30 SPF or higher Sunblock
18. Bar soap- for some reason its in short supply....almost always
19. Small compact rolls of TP. A lot of places make travel size, half the time you get to a port-a-potty the jackA$s before you ganked the TP
20. Baby wipes- 30 days worth. Expect that the power and water will either go out, or the water will be contaminated at least once a month.
21. Gold Bond Foot and Body Powder
22. Small clip on LED light-clip it to your IBA....it will come in handy....quite often.
23. Drink mix for 16/20 oz bottles of water
24. Weightlifting supplies
25. Small photo album with pics from home.
26. Hand sanitizer (small bottles to put in ankle pockets)
27. More books/magazines than you think you will need.
28. DVDs, for you and to loan out for swapping purposes
29. Tactical gloves- military gloves are sort of clumsy ( I love the $9.95 whitewater brand gloves from the clothing sales). Also standard flight nomex are good.
30. Lens anti fog agent. Shaving cream works in a pinch, but you have to apply it every other day or so.
31. Good pair of shower shoes/sandals. I recommend the black adidas....lasted me all year.
32. Small pillow (air inflatable)
33. Cheap digital camera (at least 2.1 mp)
34. Boot knife
35. Gerber multi tool
36. Fabreeze-sometimes the laundry is few and far between.
37. Armor Fresh
38. Extra boot laces
39. Stainless steel coffee cup with screw on lid.
40. Soccer shorts/normal t shirt to sleep in, hang out in your room in
41. Sweatshirts for winter times hanging around
42. A couple of poncho liners for privacy, nasty mattress cover, etc.
43. A set of twin sheets with pillow case
44. Good regular-size pillow
45. One or two good civilian bath towels
46. Buy a good set (>$200) of winter desert boots. All they will give you is a regular summer set and a set of goretex lined for waterproof needs. Desert is a cold place at these altitudes in the winter time.
47. Bring a laptop. Also may want a PSP or some other handheld gaming device.
48. Get an external USB hard-drive (>60gb). You will need this to back up data to, and to store movies and MP3s that you will fall in on from previous teams.
49. Get a Skype account and download the software from skype.com. This is how I talk to home 95% of the time. If you call computer to computer it is totally free. You can also skype out from your computer to a regular phone for $0.021 a minute. There is nothing cheaper than that.
50. Decent headset with mic for computer (skype).
51. Webcam for video calls back home.
52. Bring a min. of 18ea. M4 mags per person. 9 that are loaded and 9 that rest. Plan to do M4 mag changeover once per month.
53. Bring 8ea 9mm mags, for same reason above. Change these over every two weeks.
54. Order a LULA mag loader/unloader. It will be the best $14 piece of plastic you every bought. I have 12 mags loaded at all times and when I do change over it will do it in a fraction of the time and save your hands, and save the ammo.
55. Try to get your state or purchase yourself one 12v DC to 110 AC inverter per man for your trucks. There are crucial on mission to charge personal items, cell phone, ICOMs, and especially ANA radios (they only have re-chargeable batteries).
56. Dump the IBA tac vest you get issued. Get a Tactical Tailor MAV chest rig (does not matter if you get 1 or 2 piece one as you want to keep the front open for laying in the prone. You don’t want mags pushing into your chest making it hard to breathe) . I wish I would have bought mine at the start. It makes a HUGE difference on the back and shoulders when carrying a loaded rig.
57. Get comfortable pair of desert boots. I wear only the Converse 8” assault boots (non-zipper ones). Oakley, Bates and several others are similar in style and comfort.
58. Bring some good snivel gear for the winter time. Extra poly-pro winter hat, gloves, neck gators, etc.
59. Lock de-icer for the winter time
60. Disposable hand and feet warmers
61. Canned-air, lots of it for electronics weapons, etc.
62. Lens wipes for optics
63. Screen wipes for computers

There are probably many other things that could go on this list, but a lot of that is personal preference. The purpose of this list is to provide some insight into things that could make anyone’s tour easier.

cyclosarin
January 29th, 2007, 12:46 AM
No ID

"The Prisoner" (from google)

Sausagemit
January 29th, 2007, 01:30 AM
No ID

I allways here it on the Iron Maiden song aptly titled "The Prisoner". ;)

People's immune systems have been severely weakened because of over-cleaning. In terms of the immune system, what does not kill it makes it stronger.

And also overmedicating too.

My white blood cell count during normal day to day life is around 23 when normal for people around my age is around 13. Who do I have to thank for this, my mom for not stuffing tons of antibiotics and medicine down my throat when I was younger like most overmedicated kids of my age. Now when all my friends get sick I usually get a slight cough or runny nose but nothing no way near as bad as them. I havn't taken one sick day from work or school in the past 5 years.

How many of you could pull off walking right through the front entrance of a private country club--and spend all day chilling out like you own the fucking place? Without the staff so much as asking a single question? LOL In this sorry excuse of a society, if you're intelligent, well-dressed, confident, and can pleasantly smile as you look people in the eye--you can get away with damn near anything. SG is just another means to an end.

I often wear my suit around just to gauge the difference in peoples reactions. Walking around campus, not too many people care to notice, they probabbly think I have a presentation or something that day. Walking through a grocery store I garner all sorts of looks from the female persuasion, especially when I'm buying stuff for cooking rather than pre-made stuff (tostinos pizza's are a staple food of mine as it is with most college students). I've been to a few higher class joints and a couple of high class car dealerships and they pretty much treated me like a gentleman rather than like human garbage like they do when I'm in my normal day to day attire. It's funny how much a difference some cloths, a nice watch and some nice shoes can make.

anonymous411
January 29th, 2007, 04:05 AM
S: What's really sick about the significance people place on "dressing well" is that if you're persistent and resourceful, you can do it even when you're broke. Find the right thrift store, and you can score Brooks Brothers sweaters, Ralph Lauren polos, JP Tod's loafers, Ferragamo wingtips--the whole nine yards--for extremely little money. I seldom shop in real stores anymore. Why pay $595 for the very same shoes I can get for $30? E-bay is great too, check it out--can you believe the prices on this stuff?

Here's a whole outfit for you, dirt cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brooks-Brothers-Navy-Single-Breast-Suit-48-L_W0QQitemZ270083554771QQihZ017QQcategoryZ3001QQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270083554771
http://cgi.ebay.com/BROOKS-BROTHERS-WHITE-NON-IRON-DRESS-SHIRT-18-36-37_W0QQitemZ140078093614QQihZ004QQcategoryZ57991QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140078093614
http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-7-BROOKS-BROTHERS-SILK-MENS-NECK-TIES_W0QQitemZ270082396152QQihZ017QQcategoryZ52381 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270082396152
http://cgi.ebay.com/MEN-BLACK-BROOKS-BROTHERS-OXFORD-DRESS-SHOE-SZ-12D-12-D_W0QQitemZ180078292028QQihZ008QQcategoryZ63850QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180078 292028

Alexires
January 29th, 2007, 06:39 AM
You are shitting me right NBK? While yeah, if you were going to afghanistan for a while, that would certainly help your stay, that looks like a whole fuck tonne of SG.

Everyone, remember the title of this thread, especially "Wont leave home without".

Anonymous - think back to the last time you saw a bum who didnt interact with you. Can you even remember the last time? or what he/she looked like? People these days get jaded from seeing it so much that they just don't pay attention anymore. If you look nice, you have more chance of being noticed than if you look like a filthy street bum *grin*.

Back to the bare basics people. We aren't talking about if you think you might need it, we are talking something you NEVER leave the house without.

Personally, I must admit that for me its only keys, wallet and phone. *Mutter* stupid phone.

defiant
January 29th, 2007, 09:19 AM
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/7892/pictureww6.jpg

Also a carry permit.

ShadowMyGeekSpace
January 29th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I greatly dislike the DA triggers of sigs as well as the controls, but they won't fail you... I also dislike the slide riding high (increases felt recoil, but I have to admit the p220 series slams back into battery with authority - reducing muzzle flip), but great choice if you can get past those three issues. As for a permit, I'm pretty sure many of the members here are not elligible for an FFL licensed weapon(and thus a CCW).

Bert
January 29th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I'm pretty sure many of the members here are not elligible for an FFL licensed weapon(and thus a CCW).

Having an FFL has nothing to do with being eligible for a CCW permit in my state- If you meant that a majority of the US memebers may not be old enough to have either, or to even buy a pack of cigarettes, agreed.

nbk2000
January 29th, 2007, 12:54 PM
You can be too young to buy cigarettes, but old enough to own a firearm in the US, even if someone older has to buy it for you.

FFL's are for those who deal in firearms as a business. CCW is for private citizens to carry concealed firearms.

Alexeris, that A-stan list was an example of snivel gear. Though, if I was going there, I'd probably want all that shit myself. :)

defiant
January 29th, 2007, 12:58 PM
ShadowMyGeekSpace:

You're correct if you mean by "DA Trigger" that Sig's standard trigger is dorky looking (not elegant). Sig's short trigger is more elegant (pictured below on a 225) but not as comfortable:

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9417/sig225vl2.jpg

The only shortcomings with Sig "controls" is lack of familiarity with them. The Sig has no manual safety, making it less complicated and quicker to deploy. Its got relatively standard mag and slide releases, and a decocking lever. That's it. The ultimate in simplicity

With regards to recoil, the gun pictured is not a 220 - its a 226 in 9 mm. The 9mm doesn't produce much recoil, and the weight of the stainless slide/frame dampens muzzle rise. 3-4" groups firing 16 rounds at 25 meters is fairly easy.

Finally, the FFL license is for manufacturing, importing/exporting and dealers. Carry permits are governed (primarily) by State law.

anonymous411
January 29th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Alexires: excellent point, but it all depends on what you're doing and where you need to be "invisible". For instance, looking affluent and wearing a suit in downtown Bed-Stuy would be a really, really dumb idea. But in Georgetown DC, bums get the cops called on them pretty quick. A UPS delivery drone or a hard-hatted phone company worker? Well, that's another story, isn't it. ;)

I'm certainly not above being filthy if I needed to, but I suppose it's a matter of personal preference. It's a rich white person's world-- and I'm sure my not-insignificant degree of narcissism plays into it too.

ShadowMyGeekSpace
January 29th, 2007, 08:04 PM
By DA I mean double action. I'm aware its a 226, which is why I included the word "series".

As for the FFL/CCW issue, what I mean is that if you arent eligible to purcahse a firearm from an FFL licensed dealer, theres no way you're getting a CCW.

defiant
January 29th, 2007, 08:53 PM
The Sigs have a double-action/ single-action trigger. Without the hammer pulled back its a double action with a 12 lb pull. Once the hammer's back its got a shorter single action 4 lb pull.

There's a lot to like about Sigs, but there are a lot of other good manufactures/models to choose from. I'm not saying the Sig is the be all and end all - but it is one of those things I don't walk out of the house without.

As for the FFL/CCW issue, what I mean is that if you arent eligible to purcahse a firearm from an FFL licensed dealer, theres no way you're getting a CCW.

Why's that - the 2nd Amendment prohibits infringement on the right to own and bear arms ... :rolleyes:

ShadowMyGeekSpace
January 29th, 2007, 09:23 PM
That'd be DA/SA. I like having the same break every time - even on the first shot(means having to bring the hammer back though). They're also produced in double action only (DAO), but the pull is too heavy for my tastes. Like I said, I dislike DA.

As for the whole constitution thing, I'm going to assume you're kidding and not going to make me explain.

defiant
January 30th, 2007, 12:10 AM
No need to explain on the 2nd Amendment comment, I was joking (mostly).

No need to explain either why you don't mind pulling the trigger back on a single action but dislike doing so on a Sig - where doing so would afford you a single action pull. :D

knowledgehungry
January 30th, 2007, 01:23 AM
A UPS delivery drone

Be careful some people here might work for UPS :cool:. Although they may not be delivery drivers.

anonymous411
January 30th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Well, in that case, in my opinion they should definitely hook themselves up with some delivery uniforms, because it's a fantastic disguise. LOL! No offense intended. :)

Alexires
January 30th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Alexeris, that A-stan list was an example of snivel gear. Though, if I was going there, I'd probably want all that shit myself. :)

Nahhh, I fully dig where you are coming from NBK. I would want all that shit as well, to make the time fly. I was just wondering if it was a list of snivel gear, or if I was going mad and had ideas WAY off the mark.