View Full Version : Homemade/ Custom Knives

_SAS_
January 23rd, 2007, 08:33 AM
I'm interested in constructing a sturdy type of combat knife.

I have done a brief search for making knives from scratch, but haven't managed to find anything.

From what I have found, you can make a quality knives from high carbon grade steels which can be acquired from metal shops, recyclers, merchants.etc.

From there, you can anneal the steel to soften it enough to be cut and or ground to the desired shape. Once you have shaped you blade it can be hardened or tempered where the final steps in contruction take place (final/ minimal grinding, sharpening and surface finishing. etc)

My idea of knife construction is a bit vague, so if anyone has suggestions or tips, (heat treating, construction...) they will be greatly appreciated.

Charon
January 24th, 2007, 12:23 AM
From the sound of it, You don't have much knowledge in the land of blacksmithing or forging, please forgive my harshness but making homemade knives (especially the combat ones you describe) can be a very tedious task.

What kind of blade point do you want? What kind of handle would you want? Full tang? Any serration?

There's alot that goes into knifemaking from block of steel to tool of sweet destruction. Granted, you can easily make a spike or rudimentary grade edged weapon, if your interested look up knife kits, and get a feel for it, forging knives is not impossible, but it is definetely something that you need to progressively learn about before you go full fledge into doing.

+++++++++

Improve your grammar before giving advice. It helps with your credibility if you don't come off like a IM n00b. NBK

ONLY
January 24th, 2007, 01:39 AM
A bastard file makes a great knife stock. I suggest cutting it with a band saw then bench grinding. After that it’s just a matter of putting an edge on it.

Alexires
January 24th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Well, I'm guessing that because NBK has edited your post, this is allowed.

Obviously your searching efforts were so brief that you stopped before you clicked the search button in google.

Google search - knife making

http://www.knivesby.com/knifemaking.html
http://www.knivesaustralia.com.au/supplies.html
http://www.felesmagus.com/pages/cutler.html
http://www.primitiveways.com/pt-knives-1.html
http://www.texasknife.com/TKS_Mainframe.htm
http://www.knifekits.com/kk_1mainframe.htm

When inquiring about knife making in the past, a knife maker told me to get one of the kits from KnivesAustralia (which come with a book) and start that way.

Good luck.

festergrump
January 24th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I highly recommend checking out Texas Knifemaker's site that Alexires linked to for a good blade to start with. Not only can some blades there be had relatively cheap (assuming your time is money), they also offer a deep cryogenic tempering process (-305 F) for many of their models which would be difficult for most people to duplicate at home.

Also, I just posted a link in the Rapidshare thread for two knifemaking books by Harold Hoffman. Highly recommended reading , covering all you'd probably ever need to know on the topic at hand, from start to finish and everything in between.

Here's the download link again:
http://rapidshare.com/files/13201349/Knifemaking.rar.sda.exe.html

Password is "www.roguesci.org"

rayman
January 24th, 2007, 05:07 PM
/quote
I have done a brief search for making knives from scratch, but haven't managed to find anything.

From what I have found, you can make a quality knives from high carbon grade steels which can be acquired from metal shops, recyclers, merchants.etc.
/end quote

first you didnt look vary hard, sounds like a spoon feed request, second " from what I found " so you did find somthing didnt you ??!!??

would it not be better to say " I have found little can some one point me in the right direction for more information on X " ?

InfernoMDM
January 24th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I have a bit of knowledge. First your looking for a hard enough Rockwell strength to keep a edge while having some flexibility in the blade.

I personally don’t think you will make a great combat knife that can’t be had for nearly the same price as it would cost to make one.

That being said, go to a place that either makes steel sheets or has some to sell. Pick out the width you want the blade to be. This is important depending on its application. To thick of a blade will give you a hatchet, and two thin will make it a scalpel.

You will need either a handheld power grinder with assorted cutting and grinding blades, or you will need to get someone that has a good power saw (with proper blades) and maybe a bench grinder (I used both).

After that cut grind with rough/cutting blades then transfer to something less aggressive to hone the blade. 1500-2000 grit sandpaper works really well to finish off the last bit of work, but takes a while if your doing it by hand.

Meawoppl
January 25th, 2007, 01:34 AM
You will save a huge amount of hassle just buying one. Making something comparable to what you can buy for $50 would require at least $100 worth of time and effort. If it a sentimental thing though, I strongly recommend the following book:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Bladesmith-Forging-Your-Perfection/dp/0873644301

Great read, takes you from the basics of setting up a knife shop to pattern welding. The same author has a much more advanced book as well, but the name escapes me.

Both are great primers on smithing knives, but assume some basic smithing whatnot.

As for steel, truck axles and drive shafts are good for tough knives, and can be decarburized for smaller applications.

orangeman
January 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I have tried and failed to make swords and knives of any worth while using a home made forge. Making a forge in its self is pretty easy. Forging the sword is quite hard.

I don’t have a digital camera so these pictures are not mine but they will work all the same. Plus while searching this picture out i found this website that may be able to help you.

http://www.instructables.com/id/F2Q1JCJYFOET9K4YG3/

As other stated above pick the steel for what you want to do with you weapon. Put a lot of research into it because if you go through with it, it will take time.

Here are materials for the forge its self.
•Building bricks with 2-3 holes, x8
•Solid building bricks (sand stone bricks not as good due to the heat) approximately x40
•Roofing tiles x5
•Breeze block x1
•Slabs x2-3 (depending on size of slabs)
•Hair dryer x2 (similar powers)
•Soft clay about 1kg

I would like to tell you how to hammer out the steal but I am no good at it. So I recommend folding the steel several times and grinding it out to the shape you want.

Sorry I can’t be more of a help.

paroxysm
January 25th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I have tried this on a few occasions , but never forged a blade myself, just cut a blank out of reasonably high carbon steel (with full tang)
From there I ground it on a bench grinder, and attached blocks of wood to the tang with adhesive in between sections, then I riveted over the end and left to cure. then, lots of time with a bastard file, rasp and adhesive paper. finish how you like, its the best way I know of (experience limited).

InfernoMDM
January 26th, 2007, 04:20 PM
orangeman - Very impressive atempt. I don't think I could ever take the time to hand forge a weapon. I believe one thing you might have overlooked is tempering your blades. Tempering is extremely easy to try, but difficult to perfect. Not sure if you did that or not.

orangeman
January 26th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the info. I will have to try it next time. I must not have really thought about it much at the time.

_SAS_
January 26th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks to everyone for all of your replies. :)
In the future I shall be more thorough in my searches for information :p

Regards,
_SAS_

kodiak31
February 14th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Don't forget about using an automobile's leafspring for materials. Ultra cheap at the junkyard.

darkknight1975
July 12th, 2007, 03:08 AM
If you want to learn how to forge a knife in a primitive forge as our forefathers had or at least as my forefathers had check out , hoodswoods at wwww.survival.com they have a video dedicated to forgeing a knife from junk . Also the knifesmiths in the video have their own web sites and videos that are also very good , but I can only comment on the hoodswoods video and Tim Livelys videos. another good source for home made knifes is to check out the FOXFIRE books available at the librarey in most southern states.

darkknight1975
July 12th, 2007, 03:13 AM
If you want to learn how to forge a knife in a primitive forge as our forefathers had or at least as my forefathers had check out , hoodswoods at www.survival.com they have a video dedicated to forging a knife from junk.

Also the knifesmiths in the video have their own web sites and videos that are also very good , but I can only comment on the hoodswoods video and Tim Livelys videos. Another good source for home made knifes is to check out the FOXFIRE books available at the library in most southern states.

Hitech_Hillbilly
July 12th, 2007, 02:54 PM
If you are looking for a military quality combat knife, buy one. If you are looking for a sharp, useful knife (and don't have access to them for some reason) then you can make a good one with out having to forge or heat treat.

You will need an anvil (any size will do, even a small one), a flat cold chisel, a ball peen hammer (or other non-woodworking type hammer), a hacksaw, a couple of files, and a tree trimming saw blade.

Get the saw blade and draw a knife pattern on it with a sharpie or other permanent marker that fits in the contours of the blade and handle. Using the flat cold chisel, score around your sharpie lines with your chisel and hammer on the anvil. Using your hacksaw saw around the curve parts of the point end of the blade and remove excess.

Now, here's the tricky part. Starting at the bottom of the handle end, lay the blade on the anvil, with the excess hanging off the end of the anvil. The score line should match as close as possible to the edge of the anvil. Next, Strike the blade on the excess part as close to the score line as possible and break off. This can take a few tries to get the hang of, so have a couple of extra saw blades handy in case you need to start over. Continue working your way around the blade until you have the rough outline of your blade left. Any further trimming needed will have to be hack sawed.

Now clean up the edges with your file. Then also using your file, file an edge to your knife, trying to keep a consistent angle along the length of the blade. Use about a 25 degree angle for general purpose use, 20 degree for fine slicing, and 15 degree for extreme sharpness but easy dulling.

To put on a handle, you can go with braided rope, tape, or go the extra mile and use wood. Mark a couple of holes in the centerline of the handle, one nearer to the hilt, and one nearer to the end of the handle.

Now either punch these holes out or a drill and carbide drill bit (your punch or drill bit should only be slightly larger than the brads or brazing rod you will be using to attach you handles).

If you use a punch, then you want the hardy hole on the anvil (hardy hole is the smallish hole on the striking face of the anvil) directly below where the hole in the handle will be.

If you drill the holes out, then place on a scrap peice of wood. Don't worry about heat if you drill. This will not hurt, and will actually help as long as you keep the bluish discoloring mostly on the handle and mostly off of the blade. After you have your two holes in the handle, drill corresponding holes in the wood blanks for your handle using the same drill bit.

Then place a brad (with point and head snipped off) or some pieces of brazing rod through the first piece of wood, then through the metal of the handle, then through the second piece of wood. Place the whole mess on the anvil, and using a round punch of same diameter as brads or rod, tap the end of one side of the brads. Stop after several sharp taps to see if the ends of the brads have flared, and are holding the wood snugly to the metal. Repeat if necessary.

I have made several knives using this method (my great grandfather showed this to me many years ago using worn out parts from an old horse drawn hay rake) and they work great. My current skinning knife was made like this (I've used it over 10 hunting seasons).

stupid939
July 13th, 2007, 05:39 PM
This has to be the best knife-making site I have found. It has links to tons of tutorials on everything that you would need to know from start to finish and beyond. Just scroll down to "Instructional Links" and take a look:

http://gbrannon.bizhat.com/old.htm

darkknight1975
July 22nd, 2007, 12:25 AM
If you are looking for a military quality combat knife, buy one. If you are looking for a sharp, useful knife (and don't have access to them for some reason) then you can make a good one with out having to forge or heat treat.

I have made several knives using this method (my great grandfather showed this to me many years ago using worn out parts from an old horse drawn hay rake) and they work great. My current skinning knife was made like this (I've used it over 10 hunting seasons).

That's the way it is done in the FOXFIRE books .

NoltaiR
July 23rd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Knives have always been of great interest to me. Mostly because the injury they inflict has a bit of primitive sport to it (in the case of hunting) as opposed to guns which often kill without any skill.

The two catagories that are of greatest appeal to myself are those that are handmade from chipped rock and fastened to any available handle, and any of the switchblade or spring-loaded variety.

On the topic of the chipped rock blade, a person making one probably has a good deal of knowledge about knives and therefore will probably know how to use it. While often not as sharp has a commercial steel blade, the naturally serrated edge(s) allow for extra damage to be done. More important than this though, since it was handmade, there won't be any inscriptions on it that would make it distinguishable if ever taken up as evidence (and they won't set off metal detectors).

Switchblades are also quite fascinating to me. While very commercialized and take no skill at all to use effectively, the ability to retract your blade into the handle makes it extremely concealable... enough said.