View Full Version : AgNO3 + S ---> Explode under hammer blow?

ultma
January 25th, 2007, 09:38 PM
This could make a good replacement for sulphur alone in KMnO4 flash or be used instead of KMnO4 in flash

Well should I try some tests with it alone then combine with Zinc or possibly as a Sulphur replacement in my KMnO4:Zn:S flash

Or is it far too sensitive.

Anyone know the reaction products AgS + NOx? Doesnt seem right to me.

nbk2000
January 25th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Silver, costing $13.27 an ounce, is a good replacement for sulphur, sulfur costing less than $0.25/pound? :confused:

ultma
January 25th, 2007, 11:18 PM
You misunderstand mixed with sulphur, and I just want to experiment since I have a ready supply of lab stock which is past its usefulness under the ISO 17025 scheme ( >5years in my lab)

nbk2000
January 26th, 2007, 05:20 AM
If you've got enough to use in pyro, why not convert it into base silver and sell it, using the money to buy more chemicals for real pyro?

FUTI
January 26th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Not bad idea but only as catalyst of some kind. AgNO3 is too costly to be used as main ingredient in pyro.

My guess is that reaction isn't simple but starts like you proposed. I believe that NOx generated propagate other chemical reaction through interaction with sulphur (maybe converting sulphur to polysulphides), and then God knows where does it ends.

ultma
January 26th, 2007, 05:27 PM
any ideas on what would be a good ratio 1:1 1:3, AgNO3:S

cracker
January 26th, 2007, 06:45 PM
If you've got enough to use in pyro, why not convert it into base silver and sell it, using the money to buy more chemicals for real pyro?

This is a very new idea to me, is this something that can be done to Cadmium Sulfate? I have 182 lbs of this substance.

nbk2000
January 26th, 2007, 08:58 PM
You could do it with cadmium sulfate too. UTFSE (AKA Google) and figure it out.

ultma
February 4th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Well that didn’t do much apart from the emission of copious amounts of red NOx, ignited with KMnO4 and glycerol it did leave a dark melted mess of sulphur so it could have a use for yellow powder since it only heated it enough to melt the sulphur.