View Full Version : Tetranitromethane - Archive Thread

Anthony
March 5th, 2003, 06:05 PM
shady mutha
Frequent Poster
posted February 11, 2001 01:10 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to Roth,pure tetranitromethane cannot be detonated even when using 10g of tetryl as a detonator.However,the ability of tetranitromethane to detonate increases considerably when it contains organic impurities,even in small quanities.
Tetraniromethane forms very powerful explosive mixtures with combustible substances,for example with nitrobenzene,and toluene.The explosive properties of such mixtures were investigater in detail after an accidental explosion had occurred in Munster University in 1920.
Naoum gave the following data on the explosive properties of tetranitromethane and of its mixtures.Alone tetranitromethanr gives a lead block expansion of only 40cm3 including 8cm3 for the detonator.
A mixture of 83.8%of tetranitromethane,4.9% of toluene and 11.3% of cotton wool gives a lead block expansion of435cm3,ie of the order of the most powerful explosive.The above mixture contains a 13%excess of oxygen.
A stoichiometric mixture,with its ingredients taken in such quantities as to have all the oxygen consumed,containg 86% of tetranitromethane and 13.5% of toluene give an expansion of 465cm3.
The density of the mixture is 1.45.According to the Chemisch Technische Reichsanstalt measurememts, its rate of detonation is excemtionally;
In a glass tube of 12mm diameter 7100m/s
In steel tube of 25mm diameter 8300-9300m/s.

ALENGOSVIG1
posted February 11, 2001 01:47 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was very interested when i saw the file on this explosive on meglomania's site. I would consider producing a small amount of this explosive if i could get anhydride. am planning on doing some research tommorow hoping to find a souce of anhydride in canada. The downside of this explosives is the fact that unwanted contaminants can cause very sensitive explosives and it takes a long time for the explosive to form out of the solution.
You would have to be extremely carefull that you used pure chemicals and pure, very clean additives so you dont get more than you bargained for.

------------------
technology is a wonderful servant, but a bitch of a master.

Explosives Archive

[This message has been edited by ALENGOSVIG1 (edited February 11, 2001).]

cdg3851
A new voice
posted February 11, 2001 01:58 AM
un can you tell me where you got that file? it would be interesting to know
[you obviously have not been lurking at the firum and you just registered to get the information, so im not going give it to you. Its on the forum enterance for christ sake - ALENGOSVIG1]

------------------
---I am bored! If i am being lame, please tell me to shut up---James---

[This message has been edited by ALENGOSVIG1 (edited February 11, 2001).]

shady mutha
Frequent Poster
posted February 11, 2001 09:45 PM
Shishkov obtained tetranitromethane by treating nitroform with a mixture with a mixture of fuming nitric acid with sulphuric acid.Pictet found that tetranitromethane was formed when nitric acid was reacted with acetic acid,or acetyl nitrate with acetic anhydide.
For preperation of tetranitromethanr on the laboratry scale Chattaways method is commonly used.It consists of treating acetic anhydride with fuming nitric acid at room temperature or below,causing the oily tetranitromethane to separate.
Tetranitromethane is also formed during nitration of aromatic hydrocarbons under very vigorous conditions,for example when benzene or toluene in nirated to the trinitro derivative.
MacKie and orton found that tetranitromethane could be obtained by reacting anhydrous nitric acid with acetylene in the presence of mercuric nitrate.
During World War 2 the germans manufactured tetranitromethane by this method on a semi-commercial scale,after they had developed the industrail process.
The reaction takes place in the presence of mercuric acid as a catalyst at temperatures ranging from 45.c to 50.c[max 60.c}

sadsakjoel
Frequent Poster
posted February 13, 2001 01:50 AM
Is tetranitromethane just chloroform?
------------------
All there is to fear is your own co-ordination