View Full Version : one order, or two?

mark
March 10th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Hey yall. I finalley got a credit card, so Ive decided to get some flash before I piss away all my money. Now the stuff Im getting from pyrotek is all the makes for 100 cherry bombs:
1lb of 600 german dark
1lb of potasium perchlorate
10 feet of blasters fuse
100 sets of 7/8" cup sets

Now, should I order it all at once( I think bad idea). Or, should I order the oxidiser and the cups first, and the blasters fuse and aluminum a day or two? Thanks alot, Ill make sure to post pics of the results.

Energy84
March 10th, 2003, 01:30 AM
Same card, same address. 2 days difference won't change much... :rolleyes:

Pyroboy
March 10th, 2003, 02:48 AM
If you're prepared to spend more money I think you should order a few other things as well. So that it's not just only the materials required for manufacturing cherry bombs. Mix it up a bit.

Macgyver
March 10th, 2003, 03:09 AM
If you are ordering from a place that obviously sell chemcials for pyrotechnical purposes it doesn't matter.

But if you're placing an order with an ordinary chemical supplier, they might think that certain combinations are suspicious.

Again, that depends on where you live.... My chemical supplier where I live is all cool about it, since he's and old pyro guy himself - and usually give good advice about what not to do. :D

I usually buy all chemicals from one place, but ignition and casings from other sources, but then again, my chemical supplier doesn't have anything besides chemicals.

But as long as you don't do something stupid and get busted for it you shouldn't have to worry about that unless you live someplace where they see a potential terrorist in everyone thats interested in chemistry and science.

Mr Cool
March 10th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Skylighter specifically say that if they think you're making a load of cherry bombs, they won't sell to you.
Get half from Skylighter, half from Pyrotek, for example.

Arkangel
March 10th, 2003, 05:06 PM
And get more perchlorate - 50:50 is not ideal with Dark Al.

Wish I could just order all the stuff you can :(

Anybody want to send me some Antimony Trisulfide?

(Oh, and Mark - take it from someone who knows.....if you can't pay, don't go. Don't fall into the usual credit trap - you'll never escape :mad: )

Aaron-V2.0
March 11th, 2003, 12:34 AM
Mark, if your going to have a hell of a time using 1/4" Blasting fuse for cherry bombs. I seriously recommend the 1/8" Visco, that's the intended fuse for salutes. Blasting fuse is a bitch to light with a lighter without splitting an inch of the fuse and inserting a matchhead...

EDIT: Also do some math on the required fuse. 10 feet of fuse for 100 salutes means 1/10th a foot of fuse per salute. That's 1.2 inches, I think 3" is the best starting length.

<small>[ March 10, 2003, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: Aaron-V2.0 ]</small>

NickSG
March 13th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Yeah, 1 1/4 inch length of fuse isnt much at all. Even considering most of it will have to be inside the casing for a more reliable ignition. 3 inches should be enough, but i always use 2 1/2 inches. I order all my stuff from united nuclear, so i dont have to worry about getting my order canceled (but the prices kind of suck).

Speakle
January 7th, 2004, 11:10 PM
You should definately order 2 pounds of perchlorate per pound of Al. I always use 3.5 inches of fuse per salute. Cannonfuse.com has got some of the best prices around on fuse and paper products. 100 feet for $20 is good and my experience is its nice to be able to light your creation and have time to actually turn around and see it explode as opposed to only hearing it because you were still running when it went off. I have also found better results with the eckhart (spelling?)super H aluminum powder. If you want some really good cherry bombs order the 1 5/8" plastic balls from cannonfuse.com. They are 2 piece and have the fuse hole aleady.