Match
February 9th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I wonder how much they used for this.

http://poststuff5.entensity.net/020907/media.php?media=dynamitesurf.wmv

nbk2000
February 9th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I'm calling bogus.

How to do it:

Video dude swimming out and other dude throwing smoking 'dynamite'.

Either merge in stock footage of underwater explosion, or actual explosion of pre-placed charge of much larger size than three sticks.

Use the all-white zoom-in of water plume as cut point for merging shot of dude surfing in the tidal surge where river meets ocean.

There's no fucking way 3 sticks of anything would produce a surge of water like that.

Also, how would surfer dude in the water avoid organ pulverizing from shockwave from blast so close? Floating on the board?

I suppose this was done as a professionally arranged stunt, but as is implied by the way it was shot, there's no way some punks could have pulled it off as a jack-ass stunt.

NGfan
February 9th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Fuck me.
They may be kewls, but hot piss, that was amazing. I wonder if it's actually real... The ad for quicksilver at the end suggests otherwise and it does seem a little questionable. Still cool though.

anonymous411
February 9th, 2007, 09:48 PM
It's an ad, so I don't really care. Anything created for the express purpose of conning suckers into buying product is inherently false.

PYRO500
February 9th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I have seen that video in slightly higher resolution a few days ago. To me, clearly it isn't real. I see computer generated fog/smoke when he throws the "dynamite" into the water, and that mist is mostly computer generated. Also they try to make the video look "hand held" yet they have some very fluid and precise camera movements in the later part of the movie with very little shake, and no pan "lag" from those digital anti shake devices in modern camcorders. IIRC this was some company's viral marketing campaign.

nbk2000
February 10th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I got the impression it was an ad for an advertising agency...something to show perspective clients so they can see how 'hip' the agency's ads are.

Shalashaska
February 10th, 2007, 01:20 AM
I got an inkling right off the bat when I saw three sticks of unknown explosive material, then I saw broad daylight near a populated area. The guy would have had a welcome wagon of pigs to greet him when he got out of the water.
However, it was a funny concept. :D

Guerilla
February 10th, 2007, 09:05 AM
The first thing I paid attention to was the funny way the plain fuse separates in each of the "dynamite" sticks :P Nonetheless it isn't the worst kind of editing I've ever seen, the average joe might even buy it.