View Full Version : storing HMTD

February 10th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I realize this may be breaking the law about newbies on this forum, but please, let it slide just once. I really need any advice on the utmost SAFE method of storing HMTD, I usually use it right away but I need to store some until next week, please, what is the safest way I can go about storing it? Other that storing underwater. Any advice appreciated.

nbk2000
February 11th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Store it underwater. :p

fiknet
February 11th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Store it under Acetone? Then when you want to use it evaporate the solvent until its dry. However this might alter the crystal structure for better or worse, you might wan't to try it with a smaller batch first.

Chopper
February 11th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Just make sure it's very pure and keep away from sources of potential ignition. I often wash a 70gm batch with about 20 litres of water, in 10 2liter runs. I never neutralize with bicarb or anything else basic. Just water to rewmove traces of the acid. Since adopting this method, the shelf life has increased amazingly. HMTD does not like basic conditions. I've got about 4-5 gms left in the mother liquor. This has evaporated over time and is now strongly acidic. A quick wash and dry, and the material is fine. Stored with bicarb at even 1/2 the concentration leads to rapid degradation.

I've had sample stored dry in open air and in plastic bags for over a year. If it fucks up between now and next week, then to be perfectly honest, you probably deserve it and should find a more pedestrian hobby.

It's also not a huge fan of elevated temps. At 70 deg C and over it starts to get a bit shitty.

Remember, research, research, research. Compare notes from different sources, cull those who can't string 2 words together or whose huge departure from the generally described experience cannot be explained by reason, then research some more. Not that I really care - they're not my fingers/eyes that are at stake here. It's going to be your problem if it fucks up, so it's your responsibility to prevent it.

I won't mention what with, but I've had samples of the compound plasticized for in excess of six months. It's the same for all intensive purposes as it was the day it was plasticized. Same colour, maleability, and mechanical properties. Sensitivity is effected immeasurably as is power. With explosives, as long as you use your head, you'll probably get to keep it attached to your shoulders. They ARE NOT something to be trifled with. Nor are they for kids.

Stay Safe.