View Full Version : what would do with if you found these

ultma
February 11th, 2007, 08:12 PM
1. 500g of fine antimony powder (is it any good for a fuel in flash or is better put to use in a conversion to something else e.g. antimony trisulphide etc.)

2. Selenium 100g (I do have fine zinc powder, these two are listed as incompatible and can ignite and or explode below a critical paritcal size in the formation of zinc selenide)

3. Thorium nitrate (I don’t plan on using it for anything just found some tucked away in a cubby hole)

Assume use of any other chemicals as I have a fair bit of stuff

atlas#11
February 11th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Antimony is a good reducing agent for many applications.

Selenium is good for killing alien lifeforms with ten base pairs in their DNA... Hold on to it, they're coming.

Thorium nitrate (or thorium in general) is fantastic at fucking with the EPA, try firing neutrons at it and leaving it somewhere people are likely to have giger-counters.

I'd recommend you search for applications for the compounds either on this site or a good chemistry experiment site. I haven't heard of many good uses for either thorium or selenium, but I'm sure there are plenty.

nbk2000
February 11th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Selenium-based OPA agents are a third again more toxic than comparable sulfur-based CW agents, so you can always use it for that. :p

Actually, reacting it with acids to make Hydrogen Selenide would be a great stink bomb, as well as quite toxic.

Antimony is good for impact-sensitive explosives and primers.

Thorium salts, reduced on a pumice or ceramic support media, is used as a catalyst for production of P2P (meth precursor) in a tube furnace.

Or make your own gas light mantles. ;)

Atra
February 13th, 2007, 07:20 PM
If you can make selenium chloride it creates a deep blue flame when thrown in a fire even at low temperatures, unlike copper chloride and copper carbonated which seem to have a more green color unless heated to very high temps in either a pyrotechnic device or with some sort of blow torch.