View Full Version : Nitrous Oxide synthesis and by-products

zeppelin69
February 18th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Today I had an urge to make some N2O. I wasnt intending to breath it or anything, I just wanted to make it just to say i made it, you know?

So I mixed some ammonium nitrate with manganese dioxide (because I have heard this is a good catalyst for N2O production), and I bubbled the gases though water to attempt to removes impurities.

The process worked great and I got plenty of nitrous oxide, but now I'm curious what happened to the water I used. After the original experiment I tested the water with a PH meter and found that it was very acidic, and smelled similar to nitric acid. So to see if it was I poured some into a smaller container and put a piece of copper wire in with it, but i got no NO2 from it.

Does anyone have any idea what acid this is? Could it be nitrous acid? I thought the only products of heating ammonium nitrate were N20 and water, with small amounts of NO.

c.Tech
March 12th, 2007, 09:14 AM
What pH?

N2O production is known to produce NOx gasses, that’s why you have to be careful to remove them all. NO would oxidise to NO2 if there was any oxygen present, or HNO2 would oxidise to HNO3 in the presents of O2.

I would say its nothing more than nitrous and nitric acids.

If you haven’t already seen I suggest you should read this thread.
http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=6264&