View Full Version : Bristar Non-Explosive Demolition

InfernoMDM
February 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I figured a few of you would find interest in this compound. From what I can tell, and I am not very knowledgeable this stuff acts almost like ice would, but faster. The website has far more detail, that I honestly don't know where to begin with.

http://demolitiontechnologies.com/index.html

Bert
February 20th, 2007, 11:50 AM
The concept has been mentioned here before, it's the modern outgrowth of an ancient technique. In the REALLY old days, they would outline a slab to be broken loose with holes bored into the rock, drive dry wooden pins into the holes and soak water into the pins. The force of the expanding wood was enough to break out the slabs- Modern expanding cement type breaking compounds require a minimum depth of the slab to prevent the expanding mix from just pooping out of the bore hole, but are certainly quicker to apply.

atlas#11
February 20th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I have actually ran into this stuff quite a while back. Doesn't look too appealing for any kind of militant use to me though, you'd have to drill too many holes for my liking.

The MSDS says its 77-96% calcium oxide. So it's probably viable to be made in the home lab, but the ease of explosives for any purpose this stuff would be used for would probably make it practically useless to anyone not adhering to the regulations.

Still, something that expands and creates tonnes upon tonnes of pressure with the simple addition of water is worthy of attention.

I looked up several patents relating to it, most of the other ingredients are water retaining materials, i.e. acrylic acid/vinyl alcohol copolymer and whatever else is cheap. It's defiantly capable of being manufactured in the home. Though I doubt there are many regulations on civilian purchases, since its little more than a special concrete.

Skean Dhu
February 20th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I think the timetable involved in this product would be a significant obstacle for any uses we would come up with here. According to the graphs it takes approximately 6 hours for the product to generate any exciting pressures.

chemdude1999
February 20th, 2007, 08:35 PM
It might serve a use for sabotage. However, like atlas#11 said, it does require a fair amount of holes to use properly. A person would need time, equipment, and plenty of concealment (noise, dust, etc.). The chances of leaving forensic evidence behind are way to high for most.

It's great for its specified practical application, but hard to implement as a weapon. Unless, others have ideas.

Hirudinea
February 20th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Actually this stuff sounds quite interesting for sabotage, basicly put it into anything that has a hole in it, fill a gas tank with it, no more gas tank, it has to be replaced, in the rad, no more rad, in the oil, no more engine.
Put a bottle cap full in a gun barrel and you've quickly and cheaply spiked the gun.
And if you're into torture you could take a mixture just viscious enough to push through a tube and give someone an enema, it would not be a quick or plesant death, but some people migth be worth it. Hey you your imagination!

chemdude1999
February 20th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure how useful it would be on soft tissue. The material was designed to crack/demolish hard and relatively brittle materials like rock. But if it expands enough, it would fuck a colon up nicely. I suppose a test could be done on an animal to determine the effectiveness.

I like the idea of using it in a gas tank or similar structure. However, I think one of the expanding foams on the market would be cheaper, more effective, and quicker. They are a bitch to remove even with acetone, so the mark would have to replace the item.

Speaking of the foams, imagine injecting something like that into a vien. I don't know if the foam would go through a small hyperdermic needle (even 8 gauge might be too small). Also, I'm unsure how it would react with out the presence of air in the blood stream. Injecting air is far easier, but the foam would be diabolical if it worked. But, I digress.

nbk2000
February 20th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Considering how it's a powerful caustic (quicklime), it'd dissolve any soft tissue it was in prolonged contact with. :)

Removing a spark plug and filling a cylinder with it would crack the head or block, making the engine scrap.

Another material that I've wondered about is the water-absorbing polymers used as soil moisturizers.

The stuff absorbs 200x its weight in water, with a corresponding increase in volume.

Measure out the powder, pour in the water, and walk away. Whether or not it expands with enough pressure to shatter something, I don't know, but I know it'll be one hell of a mess to clean up. :p

With these cracking agents, why not use existing holes and cracks and 'assist' them?

InfernoMDM
February 21st, 2007, 02:28 AM
That was my thought as well. Cracks in stone, walls etc. It would be a interesting substance to have in prison where noise would give you away, but this stuff might not work in small quantities?

Alexires
February 21st, 2007, 05:25 AM
Let us use the disadvantage to our advantage.

At a place that I have been to before, the building is held up by concrete pillars (assumably with steel in them). Break in at night, drill a couple of holes through the pillar and pack it with expanding concrete. 6-8 hours later, the pillars crack and stuff starts to fall down. Even if it doesn't fall down, the building will have to be evacuated and repaired.

We can make something to break through concrete in an instant (explosives) so let us add something to our arsenal that doesn't require timed detonators or too much fuss.

Maybe use it as a quick set concrete? We know from previous experience that seiges (house or whatever) can go for days on end. Maybe you could use this stuff as a quick barrier maker?

nbk2000
February 21st, 2007, 06:32 AM
How about using it as a silent self-destruct for any concrete fortifications or structures you had?

You know you're going to be abandoning the posiition, but still want to have use of it until the last moment, and use the least amount of explosive possible to do the job.

So, using pre-cast holes, you fill them with the agent, which will proceed to crack and weaken the joints of the structure, while still providing enough strength for the structure to remain intact until you finally blow it with a few small charges as you run out the back. :)

FUTI
February 21st, 2007, 09:59 AM
Good idea...I still remember the time when a friend of mine placed some CaO in plastic bottle up to a neck. Very soon bottle changed shape from square to round one :-D. Now are those polymers needed in that composition and if so why?

Alexires
February 22nd, 2007, 05:04 AM
Also note that it talks about needing to add water to it for it to work. You could have pre-implemented cavities already filled with the compound, just awaiting your addition of water. Perhaps running some kind of garden dripper system through the structure, surrounded by the powder.

All you simply need to do then is to turn on the water (having calculated how long you need to have it on for) and run. A timer turns the water off and in a few hours time (depending on what formula you use) the building is ready for your soft touch.

Another possible use would be in bridge demolition. I can't think of many bridges that are made of concrete these days, but a night or two full of work with a masonary bit will have you ready to bring down a bridge.

Instant demolition, just add water and stir for 2 minutes *wink*.

Jacks Complete
February 22nd, 2007, 05:58 AM
Can't think of bridges made of concrete? How about the hundreds of thousands of ones over motorways and railways? You could easily pack the expansion holes/gaps full of this stuff, then go away and wait for the rainy season! POP! Motorway closed for three days. Old style brick "humpback" bridges the same, and if you brought something down in front of a train, it would be weeks or months of disruption, and many deaths.

The polymer parts will be there to stop the water from pooling on the surface, as otherwise the top layer would soak, and the lower layers would remain dry, causing surface bulges rather than deep cracks. Also, you have to add the water afterwards! Adding it first means you will expand it before putting it in place.