View Full Version : .pdf coverter/editor dl

hammer
February 25th, 2007, 12:44 AM
The following files have been virus scannned using Zone Alarms. Only Scansoft 4.0 has been confirmed to be working. Ask any questions if you have trouble getting anything to work.

I believe that .pdf converters are important in the spreading of knowledge. They make files smaller and better quality meaning less bandwith usage and easier to follow. These converters will convert files to .docs and other editable formats. There are several different kinds of converters hosted to suit your size restrictions and memory usage but Scansoft is the best from what I've heard.

To dl scansoft dl it from herehttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=U6DY6WAJ and then use the serial off of www.mediafire.com,this link also contains other converters, I will soon edit this and add more and any assistance that is needed.

The Mediafire email address for login = controlv@gmail.com, while the password = controlc

nbk2000
February 25th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Zone Alarm is a firewall, not an AV scanner.

And why not provide the serial/crack in the same file on megaupload, (unless you're not the one who uploaded it) or provide it in your above post?

hammer
February 25th, 2007, 02:13 AM
zone alarm has a virus/trojan/spyware scanner built in it has some advantages over avg I'm not claiming its the best scanner but its decent. Also maybe scansoft was orginally supposed to be on mediafire but mediafire does not allow uploads over 100 megs.

I'm sorry you would have to dl a 125 byte txt file but I didn't upload them files.

Corona
February 25th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Try a torrent and download at a much faster speed with far less grief.

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/920547/540799/

Omnipage pro 15.... should include pdf convertor.

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/677541/77257/

Scansoft pdf convertor 4 pro.

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/418449/695313/

Scansoft pdf convertor 3 pro

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/919537/540799/

another version of ScanSoft_PDF_Converter_Professional_v4.0. Larger file size. (it's an image file, this one)

etc. etc.

One can search other torrent sites (use http://isohunt.com/) and get more torrents of the same.

hydra
April 11th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I believe that .pdf converters are important in the spreading of knowledge. They make files smaller and better quality meaning less bandwith usage and easier to follow. These converters will convert files to .docs and other editable formats.

DOC's are smaller than PDF's ??

Every file I've ever seen that was available in both doc and pdf was -larger- in doc. And I detest ms-Word anyway...lol

Personally, I'd much rather have pdf's. (they're editable too)

You said "pdf converters", but if you were only talking about converting -scanned- books to pdfs, then yes, as a rural guy where DSL isn't even available, I agree 500%! :D

I really hate 55mb scanned books. Not only do they take a dozen hours to download; but they also suck in the PDF reader....slow and jerky to scroll...and you can't SEARCH for anything! Nor copy text from; to make notes with. That really sucks.

Better than not having the book at all tho I guess... :D

Slow connection is also a problem for those software torrents.

Corona, I noticed that that Omnipage file is 470mb !!

Does anyone know where a "cleaned up" version is? I.e., not a full ISO image, but just the minimum file-set needed to run it ??

I have a bunch of useful scanned books that I'd like to OCR...

nbk2000
April 13th, 2007, 03:21 AM
The .ISO is the 'clean' version. A person could mail you a CD with it if it would prove worth the trouble. What books do you have?

hydra
April 13th, 2007, 04:13 AM
yup, ISO's are neat, no doubt about it.

...when they come on a CD... :D

Pretty much impossible to get one over a modem-connection though (i.e. the typical 300-600mb one).

And a lot of apps actually only need 30-70mb of files to run.

But of course, that's only after someone has done the work of 'prepping' the right file-set, and install files....which most folks don't have much incentive to putz with, naturally enough.

Anyway, as far as books go, I'm still trying to find a way to copy a directory listing to the clipboard. You'd think that'd be a simple thing! But as far as i can tell, the function is totally missing from Windows. I'm chasing down google-hits now; to find some piece of freeware that'll do it neatly. Will report back on that....

I have some electrochem, some micron metal powder production, some RF engineering......and in storage, about 1,000 hardcovers that I don't have any way to scan right now. Those cover a pretty wide range...from thin-film processing, to energy-conversion, to colloidal chem, to mechanics of materials, to steam power design, to high-power pulse and HV engineering...

gawd...I just can't remember them all....packed them away 6 yrs ago, last time I moved. No library space in the cabin here...sigh...

Are you looking for a book or subject in particular right now?

defiant
April 13th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Books on artillery and detonation/explosive from 1942-1946 (or more recent if available).

Also, I use Omnisoft's Paperport 8.0 for scanning. It works well, OCR's pretty effectively, and is only about 76 Mb's. Intuitive to work with too.

hydra
April 13th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Defiant, thanks for the ref to that OCR software. Is that already up on the ftp? I haven't figured out how to search the ftp yet...

OK, I did figure out how to capture a windows directory listing as text though. I found a little freeware called files.exe which I found at:

http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/program/files.html

No install required, and it's only 15k. You just run it when you need it.

I'm pasting one of my books directories below. I think that most of the chem stuff I have is probably already on the ftp....but if anyone sees anything novel, let me know and I'll upload it.

I have a number of other books on disk as well; but they're packed away in rar archives. I'll have to locate them and see what's in them. It seems that I should also make a "card catalog" of my HD someday soon too...lol..

Algebra_Demystified_(2003)_-_McGraw-Hill.pdf
Antenna\
Antenna\ANT-HF_Antenna_Design_Notes-RFID Tags-TI 2002.pdf
Antenna\ANT - Modern Antenna Design.rar
Antenna\ANT - Phased Array Antenna Handbook - 2nd ed.rar
Chem\
Chem\CAT-Biocatalysis_-_A._Bommanus,_B._Riebel_2004.pdf
Chem\CAT-Concepts_of_Modern_Catalysis_and_Kinetics_-_I._Chorkendorff,_J._Niemantsverdiet_2003).pdf
Chem\CH-Analysis and Purification Methods in Combinatorial Chemistry.pdf
Chem\CH-Mass_Transfer_-_From_Fundamentals_to_Modern_Applications_-_K._Asano_(Wiley,_2006)_WW.pdf
Chem\CH-Radovic_-_Chemistry_and_Physics_of_Carbon_0824740882.pdf
Chem\CH-Rhodium_Catalyzed_Hydroformylation_-_P._van_Leeuwen,_C._Claver_(Kluwer,2002_)_WW.pdf
Chem\CH-Scaleup_in_Chemical_Engineering_-_M._Zlokarnik_2002.pdf
Chem\EC-Electrochemistry_in_Nonaqueous_Solutions_-_K._Izutsu_2002.pdf
Chem\EC-Modern_Aspects_of_Electrochemistry_[Vol_16]_-_J._Bockris, 1985.pdf
CNC - Motion-Control-Hbook.pdf
Dynamic-System-Control-Modeling.rar
Elex\
Elex\430- Newnes Embedded System Design using the TI MSP430 Series.rar
Elex\430-Analog-and-Digital-Circuits-for-Electronic-Control-Systems.rar
Elex\ANA - Analog Circuits Cookbook.rar
Elex\Circuit_Design_with_VHDL_(MIT-2004).pdf
Elex\Delta-Sigma Data Converters - Theory, Design and Simulation.pdf
Elex\PLL - Deans-Book-NatSemi.rar
Elex\PLL - Digital_Frequency_Synthesis_Demystified_1999.rar
Energy-Fuels\
Energy-Fuels\COAL-Coal_Energy_Systems_-_B._Miller_(Elsevier,_2005)_WW.pdf
Engine\
Fabrication\
Fabrication\CNC-Computer_Numerical_Control_-_Programmig_Basics-Krar, Gill_(1999).pdf
Fabrication\FAB-Fabricators_and_Erectors_Guide_to_Welded_Steel_Con struction_-_(1999)_WW.pdf
Fabrication\MECH-Air_Bearings_with_a_Damping_Function_for_Metal_Cut ting_Machine_Tools.pdf
Fabrication\MECH-Nelson_Air_-_Air_Bearing_Primer.pdf
Fabrication\PR-Pressure_Relief_Valve_Engineering_Handbook_-_Crosby_(1997)_WW.pdf
GIS-Geodesy-For-Laymen-NIMA.rar
Hackers Delight (2002)- Algorithms-etc.chm
Handbook_of_Knots_and_Splices_-_Charles_Gibson.rar
HP Journal - 8568A June78.rar
Medical\
Medical\MED-International_Handbook_of_Clinical_Hypnosis_-_G._Burrows,_et_al.,_(Wiley,_2001)_WW.pdf
Medical\MED-Medical_Survival_-_Wound_Closure_Manual.pdf
Missile Guidance_124.rar
Optics\
Optics\OP-Notes_on_the_silvering_of_mirrors.pdf
Optics\SCI-Fundamentals_of_Light_Microscopy_and_Electronic_Im aging-2001 Murphy.pdf
PLC - Textbook.rar
Power\
Power\PWR - Electric Power Transformer Engineering.rar
Power\PWR - High Voltage Engineering Fundamentals.rar
Power\PWR - The_Power_Electronics_Handbook_(CRC-2002).rar
RF\
RF\Fundamentals Of Spectrum Analysis (Rohde & Schwarz 2001).pdf
RF\GPR-Design of Stepped CW GPR - alangman_thesis.pdf
RF\RAD-High-Definition_Vector_Imaging_(radar)_[jnl_article]_-_G._Benitz_(MIT,_1997)_WW.pdf
RF\RAD-Low_Cost_Technology_for_Multimode_Radars_[jnl_article]_(1999)_WW.pdf
RF\RAD-New_Radar_Pulse_Compression_Waveforms_[jnl_article]_-_F._Kretchsmer_(1988)_WW_00010956.pdf
RF\RAD-Technical Issues in UWB Radar Systems.pdf
RF\RF- Radio Frequency Transistors - Newnes.rar
RF\RF-FIL-Cavity-Ansoft-Tutorial-DOC.rar
RF\RF-PA-Advanced.Techniques.in.RF.Power.Amplifier.Design-Cripps-Artech.rar
RF\RF - Design of Linear RF Outphasing Power Amplifiers.rar
RF\RF - DS-Bandpass-AD-Ong-Stanford.pdf
RF\RF - Fundamentals_of_RF_Circuit_Design.rar
RF\RF - High-Speed_Circuit_Board_Signal_Integrity.zip
RF\RF - Lumped_Elements_for_RF_and_Microwave_Circuits.zip
RF\RF - Modern Receiver Front Ends, Systems, Circuits and Integration (Feb04).rar
RF\RF - Nonlinear_Microwave_and_RF_Circuits_2nd.zip
RF\RF - Practical_RF_Circuit_Design_for_Modern_Wireless_Sy stems_Volume_II.zip
RF\RF - Radio_Engineering_for_Wireless_Communication_and_S ensor_Applications.zip
RF\RF - RF and Baseband_Techniques_for_Software_Defined_Radio.rar
RF\RF - The Rf And Microwave Handbook (CRC2001).rar
RF\RF - Ultra-Wideband_Radio_Technology.rar
RF\RF and Microwave Circuit Design For Wireless Applications - ROHDE.rar
Sci-Semi\
Sci-Semi\Feynman,_Richard_P._-_[Lectures_On_Physics_2]_Cavity_Resonators.PDF
Sci-Semi\SCI-Crystal_Growth_Technology-2003-Scheel-Fukuda.rar
Sci-Semi\SEMI-Ericsson-Inside_the_Power_Transistor(pdf).rar
Sci-Semi\SEMI-Feynman,_Richard_P._[Lectures_On_Physics_3]_Semiconductors.pdf
Sci-Semi\SEMI-The_Physics_Of_Semiconductors_Schmidt_V_V_(Djvu).r ar
Sci-Semi\VAC-Electronics.Getter.Materials.for.Vacuum.Tubes.1950 .pdf
Sci-Semi\VAC-Fundamentals of Vacuum Technology (Dr_Walter_Umrath).pdf
SEIS-TheoryOfImaging-John Scales-ColoSchMines-poor-scan.rar
Solar\
Solar\ST-Solar_Heating_of_Buildings_and_Domestic_Hot_Water_ US_DOD_(2004).pdf
SynFuel\
The Foundations Of Vacuum Coating Technology (Donald M Mattox).pdf
Turbine\
Turbine\STM-Advances_in_Steam_Path_Technology_(GE,_1996)_WW.pd f
VT - Electroceramics Materials, Properties, Applications.rar

defiant
April 14th, 2007, 12:26 AM
No, its not on the ftp, nor do I have the .exe with me to upload - its in storage. It's a retail version with no bugs. If anyone's interested remind me to upload it if I forget.

Acrobat 7 is also available, but don't let it call home.

PaperPort uses .max files, which are in PaperPort terminology stackable image files. In normal nomenclature that means they can be assembled into multipage documents. They (.max files) can be saved to a number of other formats, including uncompressed multipage Tiff's, which can then be converted to PDF's using Actobat with a pretty small file size for decent quality images.

A good way of reducing Acrobat files (in B&W) is to print the Acrobat file to Paperport, save the .max file as an uncompressed multipage tiff, and then convert the tiff file back to Acrobat PDF. Ordinarily it cuts the file size in half.

The process involves tweaking with greyscale and color images.

With regards to the files your offering - PM TMP and ask him for access to the ftp. Its not kill and destroy material, but you don't know till you ask, and a scan of something particularly interesting will assuredly grease the wheel...:D

hydra
April 14th, 2007, 01:10 AM
hmm....not clear on what you're saying...

Is Paperport only for running with a scanner then?

Or will it take in an -existing- PDF file?

I have a couple PDF's which weren't OCR'ed; so they are 55mb instead of the 5.5 mb that they should be. That's what I'm focusing on at this time...reworking the non-text PDF's.

In regards to my stored books, I don't have a scanner any more to scan them with. My old scanner was SCSI, and now that we live off-grid, I can't run a full-boat tower PC any more....and of course the laptops don't have scsi; so I got rid of it. Need to pick up a USB flatbed one of these days it looks like...

My main interest is in the -processes-...and the equipment to carry them out...so I probably don't have much in my library that's E/W specific anyway.

But some of the electrochem, colloids, catalyst, and analytical material, is generically useful no matter what the field of interest is of course.

Now that I'm getting started here, I'll start investing some time into combing my HD for files, producing text-lists of what's in each giant RAR archive, etc. etc..

ps; tmp kindly set me up for the server a couple days ago...but I don't yet know where to put uploads. I need to search the threads here and find whatever instructions that exist. Also, I haven't figured out how to do a search of the server yet...so I don't know which of my items are already on there. All in good time I guess.

edit: just realized that I probably shouldn't have posted that books list here earlier. Is there a 'best' forum/thread for posting 'availability' lists in?

nbk2000
April 14th, 2007, 08:02 AM
The Scanning anything interesting? thread seems most relevant.

weeds
June 16th, 2007, 01:35 AM
I just copy the whole pdf article and then paste it in doc. format,so perhaps it might work.