View Full Version : Sulfuric Acid

February 27th, 2007, 09:24 PM
The other day I was at the BIG Hardware store and was looking around for some stump remover, it's a shame because I can get my hands on lab grade stuff anymore. Anyway, I happend to walk down the cleaner section and found a 5.5 kg bag of Lye. I had to smile to myself because I had such a bitch of a time buying 200 grams of lye at the pharmacy because the guy thought I was trying to make crystal meth :rolleyes:.

Right next to the bag of lye was a bottle of "industrial drain opener". It was enclosed in a plastic bag thingy. I read the ingredients and its said "caution, contains sulfuric acid". Being that the last of my Sulfuric was used up in a failed Picric Acid synth, would I be able to somehow use this drain opener for the sulfuric used in many HE synths?

Is there some method of extracting the acid out of the drain opener or is it just a waste of money?

Shalashaska
February 27th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Hardware grade is about 93-94% Sulfuric Acid, which is about 3x the amount from battery acid, which ACB or other sites tell you is the best place to get it from.

I suggest from now on you don't waste other members' time and use this-
http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/search.php

... so that you can find threads like this
www.roguesci.org/theforum/archive/index.php/t-1835-p-2.html

Or this
www.roguesci.org/theforum/archive/index.php/t-3692.html

Or this
www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=3124

Or, most important of all, this, the legendary "Great OTC Survey.
http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=1877

chemdude1999
February 27th, 2007, 10:33 PM
You know, I usually ignore this stuff being relatively new, but this irritates me. I read the rules thoroughly before joining. They made good sense and exist for a reason. UTFSE is what some might consider a cardinal rule along with a few others.

From my observations, Mega and NBK have this rule in place to minimize repeat of information. The forums are manageable with out a ton of useless and repetive threads. I wish more forums were like this.

The OTC thread is the main one for this particular information. Why don't you try to use the stuff on a synthesis or analysis that is relatively safe and inexpensive to verify if it meets your needs. Then post about it under the OTC thread. It has been discussed, but you might discover a nuance that could be enlightening. Just my 2 cents.

I'll now go back to some OCRing and possible translating for myself and the fine members of this forum as repayment for the excellent info this site provides.

nbk2000
February 27th, 2007, 10:37 PM
The other day I was at the BIG Hardware store and was looking around for some stump remover, it's a shame because I can get my hands on lab grade stuff anymore.

CAN means you are able to obtain the material, but CAN'T means you are NOT able to get the material, which is what you meant.

Grammar is important, as the lack of 't from one word completely changes the meaning of a sentence.

I've noticed this similiar grammatical failing in another member. Both need to improve ASAP.