View Full Version : IP Switching Script

Chaosmark
March 1st, 2007, 11:33 PM
I remember a while back someone had talked about and given a link to a script of some sort that changed the IP address that you broadcasted as you browsed, but I cannot find the thread after roughly 2 hours of searching EVERYWHERE.

Does anyone remember the topic I'm referring to?

Chopper
March 3rd, 2007, 09:18 PM
Nup, sorry. Never saw the thread.

If you're on a WinXP based pc, writing one yourself is an absolute snap. It'll take you less than a minute!!

1)Open up notepad and enter this one line:

ipconfig /renew

2)Save the file as a NewIP.bat and that's it. - just make sure notepad doesn't add the .txt extension to the end.

Alternately, you could just goto Start, Run and then type in ipconfig /renew.

Chaosmark
March 4th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Eh, that's all fine and good, but the one I was referring to was a plug-in for Firefox/one of the other OS browsers. I'm making a switch to Linux sometime within the near future, so the browser version would be better.

I'm not sure if the plug-in actually changed the IP you had, or if it just broadcasted different ones constantly. Chances are I could work one up, but I've not really got the time to do so, and if there's already one out there, why waste time reinventing the wheel?

Chopper
March 4th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Uh-huh. So is it a plugin or a script? Can't be both, gotta be one or the other. If it's a plugin, then it wouldn't be OS portable anyway - unless you had the source and re-compiled it..

In any case, it's really no more of a big deal to get a newie in unix anyway. Dunno really what you mean about broadcasting a different IP addr constantly. Your IP is your IP, it's the addr used to connect you to a LAN/MAN/WAN/VPN etc.

Each time you send a request for a page or other data, your IP is inserted into the header of each packet. This is done by software waaay beyond the reach of a browser. That gets done at Layer 3 of the OSI model. The browser operates at layer 7. Layer 7 cannot communicate with any other layer. Basically, it's not gunna happen.

Besides - even if you could fake the IP addr in that header, whatever data you wanted wouldn't come back to you since it would be sent to the IP addr that you faked.

The way to do it is to get a new IP. This either happens when your lease expires, or when you explicitly ask for it to be expired and a new one issued. This is possible in both Windows and Unix (linux).

Can't tell ya how to write the script to use in linux, it's been more than 10 years since I've touched the thing. But here's a page that'll show you the commands needed and the workarounds to get past the cache that store your last used IP addr.

Sorry I can't give you anything closer to what you're asking for. In anycase, if you're about to hit linux, then you'd better get ready for a lot more console work anyway...:p
SuSE Forum - Get new IP addr (http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/lofiversion/index.php/t11515.html)

Then of course there's proxies - but they're a whole different beast altogether...;)

ShadowMyGeekSpace
March 4th, 2007, 05:20 PM
He's talking about a rotating proxy list, probably tor or steganos.

Bugger
March 4th, 2007, 09:24 PM
That "ipconfig /renew" script trick, in either the command line or a BAT file, does not work at all! If you want to change your IP address, and have a dynamic (DNS) IP address, not a static one, all you have to do is to disconnect from the internet, e.g. by turning your moden off, for a second or two, then reconnect. You can also use proxy servers to configure your browser or download client with, updated lists by country of which are at www.proxy4free.com and www.samair.ru , but not all of them allow file downloasds or connections to FTP sites, and they do not seem to work with Internet Explorer 6 or 7.

chemdude1999
March 4th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Yes, a simple script, especially a bat file, isn't going to work.

If you want to change your IP address, and have a dynamic (DNS) IP address, not a static one, all you have to do is to disconnect from the internet, e.g. by turning your moden off, for a second or two, then reconnect.

Would hitting the reset or standby button do the same? I've always wondered this on cable modems.

Corona
March 8th, 2007, 06:42 AM
If you have Firefox, install the Torbutton. Then go to Tor's webpage...

http://tor.eff.org/index.html.en

... and get their latest Tor & Privoxy & Vidalia bundle. Proxy and Torbutton is included in the package (in case you didn't install it before).

Your IP changes every 2 minutes or so. And you'd better have DSL (at least 256kb in my experience... it doesn't like to work with anything less) or something because things can get slow sometimes.

Don't use Torpark. And don't use it to download stuff. That would be abusing this wonderful tool.

James
March 14th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I'm pretty sure he wants TOR and privoxy. Tor would proxy his web session through remote machines (disguising his IP) and privoxy would strip identifying markers. (you might want to turn off privoxy before hitting email and ecommerce sites) It will however require a Kerebos(sp?) enabled browser.

(rant)
DNS is a protocol for converting hostnames in IP addresses, There is a reverse DNS which converts IPs into hostnames (Handy if you want to privlege finns or block AOLers), but it has almost *NOTHING* to do with dynamic IPs.
The protocols you were thinking of were probaby DHCP (for ethernet, DSL, cable modems etc) and PPP (for analog phone modems, ick). Changing IPs via DHCP refresh/PPP logout/login would not change the issuer of the IP (Your ISP). It would be equivalent to giving the lions your neighbourhood.
(/raat)

FUTI
March 14th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Would hitting the reset or standby button do the same? I've always wondered this on cable modems.

When working with Rapidshare downloads from home last year I tried turning cable modem on/off (brute force way power off/on way not unmount/mount type action). It seems that modem is set to logon to server where it gets new IP number by default (which is naturally in 99,99% cases different then the previous one you've got). So it might work. I don't know has Rapidshare find the way to counteract this action by cutting-off all dynamic IPs. Anyway James is right it only screw your neighbours.:(