View Full Version : Acetone peroxide - HELP

March 3rd, 2007, 03:38 PM
I was just in the garage making AP and I noticed that the HCl looked a little yellowy. I didnt take any notice of it but now I can see that the liquid in the beaker looks really yellowy. Should I dump the solution or is this normal??

2 minutes later: The AP crystals have already started forming on the bottom of the beaker, my HMTD takes all night to form a couple crystals - what is going on??

mike16
March 3rd, 2007, 04:22 PM
I don't know why your HCI was yellow, maybe it reacted with something in the measuring cylinder?

I remember a while back when I made a batch of NG, I measured out the H2SO4 in an old but clean glass measuring jug, The H2SO4 turned bright yellow!, I don't know why, but I used it anyway and it worked fine for the NG, no problems at all.

Also if you are using above 30% H2O2, the AP crystals should start forming as soon as you add the acid, I use 35% H2O2 and as soon as I start dripping in the H2SO4, the AP immedietly starts forming.

March 3rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Nice! Thanks Mike16!

I used Brian's AP formula (budget pyro) I calculated the volumes of required reactants and mixed them (I am using 35% HCl) and the crystals started forming right away.

The yellow tinge in the HCl created a yeild of colourful AP! Maybe the HCl is just old, whatever the reason, It turned out fine, drying it now, thanks again.

knowledgehungry
March 4th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Impurities in AP= unnescessary risk. Use or get rid of the AP ASAP.

festergrump
March 4th, 2007, 02:51 AM
I'd be willing to bet you used alot more HCl than is needed for the reaction if you see crystals forming immediately and see any tint to the solution.

Keep it cool and neutralize the acid very well when finished reacting... and like Knowledgehungry says: Use it soon or get rid of it.

Now, before you start anew... READ READ READ!

c.Tech
March 6th, 2007, 04:15 AM
When I add my HCl to the acetone/H2O2 mix it also turns yellow. After some time I get a cake of yellow/white crystals at the bottom that I then wash with bicarbonate solution, this turns them a pure white.

I assume the instant colour change is because of a contaminant in the H2O2 but it never affects my final product.

I actually find the colour change quite useful because when the crystals are white I know they are neutral