View Full Version : Using TCAP in thermobaric charge?

simply RED
December 18th, 2001, 05:57 PM
I have always doubt if TCAP can be used in thermobaric charges. The idea is very simple, the AP has very poor oxigen balance. The fuel parts in its molecule are much more than the oxidizer(oxigen). When the TCAP explodes it does not produce any carbon, only gasses(as i've read the TCAP makes ethane and CO2 when it detonates). If you use big AP charge(i know everyone uses big charges http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif . Such as 100-200 grams(it could be desensitized by some napta, benzine, acetone) and the gasses can ignite in the air it will produce a thermobaric effect. Other question is how to ignite the gasses. You may use lots of flashpowder to do that or burning Mg, Al or Nitroglycerine mixed with Mg, Al...
What do you think...

------------------
In case of perosnal hatred, lost life of unrequited love, the poisonous mushrooms, very tasty and insidious, - will bring consolation to the suffering...

Pu239 Stuchtiger
December 21st, 2001, 01:47 PM
The gasses expand to quickly to allow ignition. If you have ever held very small amounts of wet AP over a flame, it will make a large fireball; that is because the moisture slows down the expansion of the gasses enough that it is ignited by the heat produced by the AP decomposing.

EP
December 21st, 2001, 09:06 PM
This is a bit random, but in the paper a few days ago I saw them say "baricthermal" and had a good laugh.:D

Detonator
December 23rd, 2001, 04:44 AM
Try adding 20% Chloroform to AP then leave it couple of days...it will turn to yellow color and will become stronger than useuall AP...

------------------

Live with victory or die with honour

a_bab
December 23rd, 2001, 07:00 PM
...And more sensitive ?...
Which are the reactions involved ?

------------------
Damn, I got a nitro-headache again...

http://move.to/pyromania

Pu239 Stuchtiger
December 24th, 2001, 12:35 AM
If you want a fireball effect with AP just wet it. This will slow down the expansion of the produced gasses enough for them to be able to burn. I have tried this successfully by igniting VERY small amounts of AP over a lighter flame. All the gasses produced in the decomposition of AP are extremely flammable.

Decomposition of tricycloperoxyisopropanone:
(CH3CO(O)CH3)3 --> 6CO + 3CH4 + 3H2

CodeMason
December 24th, 2001, 12:38 AM
Carbon monoxide is not extremely flammable.

------------------
Live free or die! | http://codemason.cjb.net

Pu239 Stuchtiger
December 24th, 2001, 12:45 AM
The oxidation of carbon monoxide is quite exothermic. Carbon monoxide is also used as a blow torch fuel. At my local hardware store, they stock as much carbon monoxide blow torch fuel as propane blow torch fuel, so it must burn hot.

PYRO500
December 24th, 2001, 04:08 AM
Carbon monoxide does burn, it is made by incomplete combustion of a substance, instead of CO<sub>2</sub> you get CO witch can get one more O molecule but since you cant balance it that way you get 2 CO + O<sub>2</sub> = 2 CO<sub>2</sub>

I haven't ever herd of it being used as blow torch fuel but there is something called water gas witch is used in factory's for burners beacuse it is cheap and easy to mass produce, the stuff is made by heating coal till it's super hot then blasting it with superheated steam and you get a mix of H2 and CO.

------------------
Society creates the crime, the criminal completes it.

[This message has been edited by PYRO500 (edited December 24, 2001).]

PYREX
December 25th, 2001, 02:03 PM
ERM...
Struchtiger, AP will always produce a fireball when lit with a flame unless it detonates. So you dont have to wet small and unconfined amounts of AP. The function of the water is to prevent bigger amounts from detonating.

What source did you take the decomposition formula from? Regarding the molecular structure of TCAP the decomposition would be rather like:

(CH3CO(O)CH3)3 --> 3 C2H6 + 3 CO2

Pu239 Stuchtiger
December 27th, 2001, 02:25 AM
When I expose an amount of any size of dry AP to flame, it always explodes without a fireball. My AP needs to be wet to get the fireball effect. :/ Weird. Sorry about that chemical formula fuckup, I hadn't slept for 40 hours when I posted that. http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/frown.gif I knew something looked strange...

(edited to add: )
When I was talking about me using very small amounts of wet AP I didn't mean that you couldn't make a larger fireball with larger amounts of AP.

[This message has been edited by Pu239 Stuchtiger (edited December 27, 2001).]