View Full Version : Scratch built AR15 receiver

tdog49
March 5th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Alright, been a while since I've posted. Ran across this a while back and thought I'd share it......Kinda useless to upload it to the ftp since the pdf file is right on the site...

http://www.geocities.com/elmgrove1765/project6/project6.html

nbk2000
March 5th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Rip the site, save as a RAR, and upload to the FTP, as you never know when a site will go 404, never to be seen again.

amsci99
March 6th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Agree with nbk2000, such information are hard to come by. Remember seeing similar construction articles in the defunct magazine 'Firepower' when I was younger.

InfernoMDM
March 11th, 2007, 11:51 AM
I wonder how reliable that thing is considering the finicky nature of the AR.

borax
March 12th, 2007, 08:02 PM

After assembly and before live firing, I manually dry cycled the firearm and doubled checked that the safety, disconnector function, trigger, and magazine catch worked. Everything checked out OK.

I took it to the range and fired 60 shots. No major problems! I had 2 failures to go into battery - had to push slightly on the forward assist.

I'll keep shooting it some more to break it in, but other than that, I am very pleased with the scratchbuilt receiver... well on to the next project!

InfernoMDM
March 14th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Don't quote whole posts!

You are a braver engineer then I am. I know the best of AR's have had issues. Just a suggestion but piston driven conversion kits are being sold online for 399-4XX. You could get one and that MAY solve some issues.

I really want to see a report when you hit the 2000+ range.

I like what you did and its very impressive.

chemdude1999
March 14th, 2007, 09:29 PM
... piston driven conversion kits are being sold online for 399-4XX.

POF makes a great piston upper, but the price is outrageous I feel. Maybe someone could design an easy home-built alternative. An AR-15 that doesn't shit were it eats would be great, especially if it was cost-effective.

InfernoMDM
March 15th, 2007, 02:24 AM
They are on the market, and its a conversion of your old upper. Just saw them on a gun forum today. Apparently there are 3-5 companies making these upgrades and they very in reliability and quality.

tdog49
March 16th, 2007, 01:01 AM
alright ,

I followed NBK's request and the info is now on the ftp.

It is in the "upload" folder, lumped in with all the loose pdfs....

btw, am I the only one that is a little creeped out by festergrump uploading a pdf on butchering human carcasses???
LOL----I downloaded it anyway!

120mm
March 16th, 2007, 02:06 AM

It's not "that" finicky. If you are getting out-of-battery problems with a homebuilt AR, look at your ammo (Wolf tends to be low-powered and "sticky") the alignment of your gas-block. (I chamfer the hole in the barrel to make it easier to align, and make sure your gas key is properly installed and staked in the BCG.

The lower receiver in the AR is pretty non-critical. You can have all sorts of slop, machining-wise and still have a functional and accurate weapon.

nbk2000
March 16th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Speaking of Wolf ammo, I've read numerous times about how, after rapid fire and subsequent heating of the chamber, the plastic coating they use on the casing will melt and fuse with the chamber, making it impossible to use the weapon until the stuck cartridge is rammed out with a cleaning rod.

Cheap ammo, yes, but only use MIL-SPEC brass cased ammo for a war load.

festergrump
March 16th, 2007, 06:52 AM
IIRC, some Wolf ammo is lacquer coated and some isn't. I'm not sure if it matters more which factory manufactured it or the year it was made, but there is a difference which folks should be aware of.

BTW, Tdog49... You gotta do something with them. You can't be a bad boy yardie and just CREATE the bodies, now can you... and I don't happen to have a pig farm. :p :D

tdog49
March 23rd, 2007, 03:48 AM
alright......

I have uploaded a new folder of "how-to" info (starting with ar-15 stuff) onto the ftp. I think that this is new stuff that was not already on the ftp. I went through directories until my eyes bled and didn't see any duplicates but I am a welder so my eyes aren't worth much....

where to look:
folder:UPLOAD
folder:tdog49
folder:Ar-15

reddog_2711
March 23rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
Just yesterday, I came acrossed actual blueprints and cad files for the reciever, sear and housing. If I can figure out how, I'll post them

InfernoMDM
March 28th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Just yesterday, I came acrossed actual blueprints and cad files for the reciever, sear and housing. If I can figure out how, I'll post them

Yeah they are floating all over the net. I know several guys make there own weapons from blanks, etc. If I can find my old stuff I will post it.

chemdude1999
March 28th, 2007, 08:51 PM
http://www.cncgunsmithing.com/

He has CAD files.

festergrump
March 28th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Which version of AutoCad, if any, supports .IGS format? I know 2000 or earlier doesn't. Do I need to download a copy of Solidworks just to be able to transfer it to .DXF or .DWG format? Can this be done with SW?

I got all hot and bothered when you mentioned CAD files... .PDF files are a dime a dozen and won't do it justice, at least for me. ACAD is the only way to go. Many thanks for the link, though, Chemdude.

Must...... have........D.X..........Aaaaaaaaah!.............. .... "He's dead, Jim." :eek:

(so I'm an old Trekky. So what! :p )

chemdude1999
March 29th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Sorry I didn't mention the .IGS files.

I know SolidWorks is a pain. I use to have a copy on my machine, but dumped it since I needed the space.

I did find a possible viewer:

http://www.modelpress.com/igs-viewer.htm

If it doesn't work type "igs file viewer" in google. It has more listings.

Good luck.

Phanatic
April 1st, 2008, 10:40 AM
This is....interesting, considering you need some near-unobtainable license in NZ to get this. Maybe a project for the future when I have my own house and hopefully by then, workshop.