View Full Version : Homemade Flashbang (Def-Tec No. 25) - Archive file

zaibatsu
March 15th, 2003, 01:35 PM
hydrashok
A new voice
posted January 12, 2001 10:51 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone knows how to make a simple but affective flashbang let talk.

NightStalker
Frequent Poster
posted January 12, 2001 12:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get a 50 ml plstic springe fill with flash powder (KClO4/Mg) attach a pull ignitor and you have what you want...
this flashpowder is a bit unstable by the way....

------------------
Death stalks silently....

SafetyLast
Frequent Poster
posted January 12, 2001 01:19 PM
You are going to need some 1000 mesh magnesium powder
a party popper charge
a straw
a matchbox of AP putty
a toilet paper roll
a 6"x18" piece of Al foil
a 4" piece of waterproof cannon fuse
a piece of paper
some double base smokeless powder
and a some duct tape

steps:
1. cover an open end of the toilet paper roll with 3 layers of Al foil and tape it to the roll
2. bend the last inch of the straw and tape it to the side of the straw
3. pour 5 grams of a slow burning smokeless powder into the straw
4. cover the whole fuse with duct tape but leave 1/8" uncovered on each end
5. push the fuse into the straw until it touches the smokeless powder
6. push the party popper charge into the straw so that it touches the fuse and sticks 1/8" out of the straw
( this step can be ommitted if you want fuse ignition)
7. drop the AP putty down the tube
8. cram some paper (not a lot) down the toilet paper tube
until it touches the AP putty
9. push the straw into the toilet paper tube
10. fill half of the tube up with magnesium powder
11. taper the end of the tube and seal it tightly with duct tape
12. wrap the whole toilet paper tube with the rest of the Al foil and tape it in place
finished device should look like this
____
[AOM>--~~
t s s ___
u t t [___ = Al foil
b r r
e a i A= AP putty
w n O= paper ball
g M= magnesium

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted January 12, 2001 02:40 PM
plstic springe?
do you mean Plastic Syringe(Doctors use them to give injections).

------------------
A wise man once said:
"... As He Waits For The Time When The Last Become First And,
The First Shall Become last"
--RATM

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

NightStalker
Frequent Poster
posted January 12, 2001 04:46 PM
yeah, this is what i meant...

ahem SafetyLast, your one is more a bang than a flash uhh??
flashbangs are normally 100% non-deadly...
throwing yours in a room with hostages could be a bafd choice...
------------------
Death stalks silently....

[This message has been edited by NightStalker (edited January 12, 2001).]

SafetyLast
Frequent Poster
posted January 12, 2001 06:22 PM
ummm oops, my bad
my name describes my nature

remember the movie Universal Soldier?
those guys did'nt care about human life they just shot through the hostages to kill the terrorists, Well I'm not that evil, but I do hate damn terrorist bastards
(and carnies, they smell like cabbage) my idea is flawed only because I forgot to take into account that if this thing landed within 10' of somebody that they would be badly injured. I should have used less AP putty

Flashbang grenade model SL2
you will need:
a matchbox
15 grams of 1000 mesh Mg powder (for flash)
a 1.5" straw section of AP putty (5 grams) with 1" fuse cast in
3" of waterproof fuse
duct tape

1. pour Mg powder into matchbox
and close the cover
2. peirce a 1/8" hole at the top and the matchbox
3. push fuse from AP putty into the bottom of the matchbox and tape in place
4. push the 3" fuse into the top of the matchbox and tape in place
5. tape straw to matchbox

the way it works is:
fuse on top of matchbox ignites magnesium powder (hopefully)
Mg powder burns from top to bottom igniting fuse attached to AP putty which gives a loud bang and concussive force

questions:
1. is it still too powerful of a bang?
2. would the fuse alone ignite the 1000 mesh Mg powder or is an oxidizer needed

I have done this with Strontium Nitrate and AP putty but the SN was in an open matchbox and the AP putty was a matchbox full

results:
fuse ignited SN producing a very bright red flame for about 4 seconds and then a 2 second delay and BOOOM!!
small bits of torn up paper were found in a 30' radius and a 10" wide burn mark was left on the pavement

oh and for the syringe that would cause plastic shrapnel flying everywhere which could injure people I use paper and very thin straw plastic as the casing

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted January 12, 2001 06:44 PM
I think a syringe would not break-up in to shards and also would not have a lot of energy. I think it would be fine.

------------------
A wise man once said:
--RATM

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted January 12, 2001 07:17 PM
I found a can of brasso, (metal polish) that had the same shape as a flash bang, i filled it with a mixture of AP, 50%, and Al/Mg 50%
as fine as i could get it. it would not be good to throw in a room, i designed it to ruin night vision if someone was chasing me (at night) (like cops) the fuse was constructed by taping a party popper fuse to a black powder fuse, which went into the filling. The party popper puller was attatched to the 'pin' on the side. I set it off by pulling the pin with string, it exploded immediately, so use safety fuse!!! if i had of been holding it i would have lost my hand.

Anthony
posted January 12, 2001 08:30 PM
Surely a flashbang is just a flash filled firecracker with an excess of Al/Mg?

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted January 12, 2001 11:15 PM
Anthony;
That is the general jist of a Flash/Bang. I would Use Mg Because I find it to burn Brighter that Al.

SATANTIC;
you are a Fairly diluted Individual...Aren't you.

------------------
A wise man once said:
--RATM

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

Sgt_Starr
Frequent Poster
posted January 17, 2001 06:00 PM
Wouldnt a hair spray bottel work? You could cut the end off of a nail and put it in the push part and put a Percussion cap bellow it or just us a fuse I was thinkg maybe with the percussion cap thing you could throw it and it would hit on the cap and blow it but you would have to wieght the end of it so that it would hit on the pin part. anyone like the idea?

------------------
"Oh Sh".::BOOM: :((later
in front of saint peter))
"it"

MacCleod
Frequent Poster
posted January 18, 2001 01:12 AM
On a high-tech non-lethal weapons show I recently saw they showed illustrations of a new Flash-Bang;it looked like a 2 in. I.D. aluminum pipe about 5 inches long,capped on one end.It had a dozen or so 1/2 inch holes drilled through the sides.The top cap was removable,to replace the explosive charge,which was about 5/8th's in. in diameter,and ran from top to bottom in the center.The way they explained it,when it exploded,the sound passing through the holes had a very disorienting effect,coupled with the blinding flash.You could build one with a 2 inch diameter by 5 in. long pipe nipple.a matching cap,a 2 in. to 3/4 in. reducer,a 3/4 in. plug,and any high power M-80 style or larger salute(or home-made equivalent).Just drill staggered rows of 1/2 in. holes through the nipple(all the way around),cap one end.Drill a 1/8th. in. hole down through the 3/4 in. plug(to facilitate placement of fuse or pull-wire).Connect your salute to a cardboard or PVC tube,running your fuse or pull-wire assembly up through it's center;insert the tube up into the reducer (making sure your tube/salute isn't too long to fit into the closed casing),glue it in place.Screw the plug down into the 3/4 in. opening while feeding the fuse,etc. up through the 1/8th. in. hole in it's center.Then simply slide the salute end into the open end of the nipple,and screw the reducer on tightly.Then light/yank on the pull-wire,throw and enjoy!.The only major drawback I've encountered with this design is-it's TOO DAMN HEAVY!!!.Someone with a metal lathe could feasibly manufacture one from aluminum,but the iron would likely be stronger,withstand a more powerful explosive charge.If I can get access to a scanner, I'll try to post some pic's of a dummy model.

------------------
"There can be only one!"

wiredfreak
A new voice
posted January 30, 2001 10:22 AM
it would look cooler if you threw a crater maker in the room. oooo look at the blood!!!

SafetyLast
Frequent Poster
posted January 30, 2001 06:10 PM
or a AP pipe bomb with one of NBK's BB fragmentation sleeves on it
damn hostages shouldn't have been there in the first place <a href="http://www.mkballisticsystems.com/thor.htm" target="_blank">http://www.mkballisticsystems.com/thor.htm</a>
go there to see some diversionary equipment

[This message has been edited by SafetyLast (edited January 30, 2001).]

green beret
March 20th, 2003, 12:49 AM
In reference to SATANIC's post:

How did your flash bang perform? Do you think the Al and Mg ignited properly? Did you find any traces of unburnt powders? Was it very bright? Also where did you get your Mg from, was it AMPS?
Thanks.