View Full Version : Appeals Court Overturns D.C. Gun Ban

defiant
March 10th, 2007, 11:56 PM
As of last Friday its legal to own and bear loaded firearms in D.C.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/03/09/D8NOSR480.html

:rolleyes:

tmp
March 11th, 2007, 06:18 AM
It's about fucking time ! But do fully expect the D.C. local politicians,
U.S. Senators - Feinstein, Kennedy, Schumer, and of course the Violence
Policy Center - led by Sarah Brady, to scream at the top of their collective
lungs about the blood that will flow in D.C.'s streets. Too late assholes !
It's been happening for years. It would be nice if the average D.C. citizen
had the chance to fight back and cap off some of these gang banging thugs !

festergrump
March 11th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Excellent news, indeed! :)

What can they say when the crime rates drop drastically over the next few years in such a crime-ridden shithole as DC? Now they just need to adopt the Castle Doctrine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Doctrine) or the Make My Day Law (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;sessionid=10B2NQ2HU4IYDQFIQMFSM5OAVCBQ0 JVC?xml=/news/2004/10/31/nburg231.xml) and all forced to live near there will be so much better off. More and more states are adopting such laws. It truly gives a breath of hope for people yet.

Maryland still needs to become a Shall Issue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shall_issue) state, though, Tmp. Hopefully that'll be the next good news you hear, and it cannot come soon enough!

I'm all for Open Carry Anywhere, myself.

InfernoMDM
March 11th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Apparently you guys haven't seen H.R. 1022 although I don't think it will pass, its making a good initial run.

knowledgehungry
March 11th, 2007, 12:38 PM
For once the judges in this country actually are doing their job. Their job is to go to the contstitution, see what it says, and make a ruling based on that. Not a ruling based on their opinions as they so often do. It gives me hope!

Take a look at what should be Federal lethal force law(Texas) http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/PE/content/htm/pe.002.00.000009.00.htm#9.42.00

It allows you to use deadly force to protect your property. (a) A person in
lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is
justified in using force against another when and to the degree the
actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to
prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful
interference with the property.

Puts some meaning to the sign "Trespassers Shot on Sight"! The law allows you to shoot someone in the back who is running away with your TV IF you believe that there is no other way to stop him from running off with it! The law regarding protecting yourself is even better. I should move to Texas(as soon as I learn Spanish!).

As to H.R. 1022(reinstitution of the Assault Weapon ban). I knew that the liberals would be at it as soon as they could. I hope that if it does get passed Bush will use that veto power of his. I guess I should start buying some banana clips while they are cheap. I shudder at whart sort of gun laws they will pass if they get the White House too!

megalomania
March 11th, 2007, 11:47 PM
How do you know if a person is running away, or running to get better cover from which to return fire? If you are acting like a thug, robbing, raping, murdering, beating up people in the streets, than you should expect bad things to happen to you. You should expect to be put down like a rabid animal.

defiant
March 16th, 2007, 10:12 PM
You're off topic. :D

British Common Law provided that it was an individual's right to protect themself and their property, and the to some measure the Constitution incorporated this right under the 2nd Amendment ... but the right to bear arms as instituted by Congress has a somewhat different meaning. Some say that when it was enacted, there was a consensus that the intention was to preserve the right to revolt against a tyranical government.

Don't know much about the law though, or so say the [c]ourts - so its altogether incredious that a [c]ourt has legalized firearm ownership in D.C.

Maybe some judges are pissed about Bu$h forcing judges to resign so that the administration can replace them with more sympathetic ones. Balance of power and all that.

This isn't legal advice or anything, but I think the Court was giving the go ahead to kill off the present administration as well as administrations to come. Keep in mind that if this was legal advice I'd charge you for it.

Chaosmark
March 17th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Or maybe the judges finally sat down and looked through the Constitution and decided that the way the 2nd Amendment had been interpreted was wrong. Not everything needs an ulterior motive. I think perhaps some members here are a tad bit too jumpy. Watching out for the Big Man has made us spook at everything, looking for the secret motive behind every action.

tmp
March 18th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Fester, there's no chance that Maryland will allow it citizens to carry guns
given that Martin O'Malley is governor. He's like his father-in-law, the former,
actually retired, Attorney General, J. Joseph Curran. That asshole wanted to
ban all private handgun ownership. He wanted only cops to have them. I'm
surprised he didn't shout "Hail To The Police State !"

One of Bush's lasting legacies may indeed have an effect on gun control. He
placed Roberts and Alito on the Supreme Court. Alito wasn't liked by the
gungrabbers because in a dissenting decision in a lower Federal, he stated
that "people had the right to own machine guns". That's very telling !

As for the 2nd Amendment, there are those who believe that owning weapons
is a natural right and that the 2nd Amendment is a prohibition against
governments to restrict that right.

knowledgehungry
March 18th, 2007, 01:29 AM
As for the 2nd Amendment, there are those who believe that owning weapons
is a natural right and that the 2nd Amendment is a prohibition against
governments to restrict that right.

I find it amazing that many people do not believe this, as it is plain as daylight when you look at the history of America and who wrote the constitution.

The reason for the ignorance of the American student is teachers unions, sometimes I think their only purpose is to provide disinformation on the 2nd Amendment. It would make sense that public teachers would be against the citizens right to defend themselves against a corrupt government, as they are paid by said government therefore indoctrinated sheeple= job security.

I wish I were in high school again, I would love to see the rage on their faces when I whipped out a couple of choice quotes by the founders of our nation on gun rights!

nbk2000
March 18th, 2007, 02:15 AM
I remember civics in middle-school teaching the constitution, but they skipped right over the 2nd and were very brief on the 5th., focusing instead on freedom of speech, anti-slavery, and womans sufferage amendments. WTF?!

shooter3
March 19th, 2007, 09:49 PM
One must beware of crafty (not meaning smart) politicions. The Supreme court has said many times that Rights can not be taken, but they can surely be signed away!

Case in point; Here in Mass, anyone can go down and get a permit (they say you have to have a permit to have a gun). It's very easy, but YOU must remember that you don't need a permit to keep and bare arms.

I found a pamphlet that described the requirments. It says that the old permit which had to be renewed every 2 or so years, was done away with and the new permit was "good for life". What that means, is that instead of giving your rights away for 2 year periods, you can now give them away forever!

Also in the booklet, It says; now in order to get a "carry license" you must first have a permit. This makes sense, you only need a license if you have previously given up your right to carry which you were born with!

Our problem is that you get into a pack of grief if you are caught without their license!

Here is the legal solution; never sign anything without signing it "without predudice". That is a legalism that says, yes i will follow your rules, but I retain any rights that I have in the matter. This is found in the "uniform commercial code", 207.

So, If you retain your rights in the permitting process, your carry "license" will be a carry "permit" also signed "without predudice"! I don't think you will find them objecting, as they undoubtedly don't want to spill the beans, before everyone has signed away their right to carry!

I'll be getting the permit sometime before next fall. I'll post the story after I get it done.

PS, This is obvious fraud on the part of the State. I shows the utter contempt the have for the benighted masses!