View Full Version : Getting Used to Nitro Headaches

Rbick
March 20th, 2007, 01:51 AM
From what I understand, what causes a nitro headache is the dialation of blood vessels in the head, causing the headache. I also understand that Nitroglycerin is used in medicine to help people with blood pressure issues using this same property. But can you get use to nitro headaches? I use to get them all the time while making NG, NC and even TNP. But I havn't had this problem for a while now. Anyone else experience this?

chemdude1999
March 20th, 2007, 07:49 AM
You can get use to nitro headaches. In the good ol' days, workers in the explosives industry use to acquire an "immunity" to them through regular handling. Companies could also rotate their employees in and out of the nitro production areas to maintain the immunity.

March 20th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Yeah, but is it true that long exposures to nitro (breathing fumes, handling) can cause other problems like cancer or something??

chemdude1999
March 20th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Check this for OSHA information:

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguidelines/nitroglycerin/recognition.html

I'd wear gloves if I were handling it. It doesn't seem to indicate cancerous problems, but definitely nails the cardiovascular hard. Harder than just nitro headaches.

I never knew it had such strong side effects. Interesting.

Charlie Workman
March 22nd, 2007, 02:50 AM
Wearing gloves will help a lot, but the fumes may still get you. Black coffee and aspirin has been the traditional way of dealing with the headaches. Also avoid drinking alcohol.

plutobound
March 23rd, 2007, 11:40 AM
Anecdotal not scientific, but 25+ years ago I was working as a technician making lacquers for doublebase R&D propellants for tactical missiles from neat (99:1) NG. Some people's headaches were minor (luckily mine); some adapted by the headaches decreasing in intensity; while with others it was always severe (about 1/3rd).