View Full Version : Thors Armor

Mr Science
March 20th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I know this isn't weapons, but this is the most relavent thread I could put it in. It this is new type of body armor called Thor's Shield, and it apparently can protect the wearer from any stun-weapons up to 900,000v. These two links were the most informative I found:
'http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=615'
http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=860

These are only sold to military and government entities (hmm wonder why), but I am wondering how it can block both electricity and microwave weaponry. My closest guess is that the fabric has some kind of heavy insulator, or perhaps some thickness of a layer of lead for the microwave weapons. I mean, these vests DO seem like a handy thing to have. So if anyone has any input on perhaps the type of materials used I would find helpful and interesting.

Jacks Complete
March 20th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Quite the opposite, it's conductive, and simply shorts the tazer. That means it doesn't go through you. Likewise, the skin effect stops the microwaves, a bit like wearing a partial faraday cage.

Easy to make one, line yourself with tinfoil under your clothes.

InfernoMDM
March 20th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Am I the only one having issues with the first link.

chemdude1999
March 20th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Am I the only one having issues with the first link.

Seems to be acting up. They obviously don't allow remote linking. Try this:

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=615

nbk2000
March 20th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Our redirector doesn't play nice with URL's that contain certain characters, such as ?

The URL has been corrected, but people should always check that their URL's work by clicking on them after they are posted, to ensure proper functioning.

Mr Science
March 20th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Sorry nbk I'll do that next time. So back to this armor, basically it makes you grounded? Jacks complete you say it doesn't go through you; in this case does this gear somehow have a conductive patch to the ground? This isn't something I know too much about, but I do find it interesting on how stun weapons work, for instance the person who is being tazed can touch you and you wont be affected whatsoever.

Jacks Complete
March 21st, 2007, 06:12 AM
Tazers use two prongs to zap you. Two darts fire, and stick into you, with the Air Tazer. Voltage is applied through one, and returns via the other. No need for grounding.

I read of a case where an air tazer failed partially, only one dart stuck, the other fell to the ground, and it still worked, as the voltage was high enough to travel through the target and the ground to the return dart. This would be unlikely, but could cause your vest to not be 100%, as the voltage would travel through you as well as the vest, to get to ground. The way around this would be to add a wire on each leg, that it within a few mm of the earth/floor, which would connect to your vest's lower edge. This would provide the path to earth should one be required. I'd also add a resistor each side at a few Kohms, to limit current surge.

You wouldn't get static shocks from sweaters any more, but you would get shocked by anything at all charged. Good for an ESD free zone. The resistors would help slow/limit the current, so reducing any static shock effects.

Alexires
March 21st, 2007, 06:19 AM
I'm sure this has been talked about in another thread.

In the other thread, experiments were done using a stun-gun and the bags that RAM, HDD and other sensitive equiptment come in.

Can't find it for the life of me though.

nbk2000
March 21st, 2007, 06:56 AM
It's spelt TASER, not tazer, the Z is a k3wL misspelling.

James
March 22nd, 2007, 11:38 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw something vaugely simmilar. A vest for women(?) that was made with an outer layer of conductive fiber based cloth. I can't remember where the heck I saw it though.

nbk2000
March 22nd, 2007, 08:25 PM
http://www.no-contact.com/ is the item you're referring to.

InfernoMDM
March 28th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Just by watching the videos on no-contact makes me wonder how effective the jacket is. When you get nailed you should lock up and not be able to move while being zapped. I don't think there will be a big line for the jacket but at least someone is thinking.

Jacks Complete
April 3rd, 2007, 08:34 PM
TASER. Brand name, from "Thomas A. Swift's Electric Rifle". Arizona inventor Jack Cover designed it in 1969; naming it for the science fiction teenage inventor and adventurer character Tom Swift.

From wikipedia. You learn something new every day!