View Full Version : Adobe to release a freeware version of Photoshop

megalomania
March 21st, 2007, 02:36 AM
Adobe announced its intention a few weeks ago to release a freeware version of Photoshop sometime this fall. The freeware version will be called Adobe CS3 Extended Edition and may be downloaded from torrent websites possibly be next week when the program is officially released… Oh, wait, I am getting my versions confused :)

The freeware version will be quite stripped down and available to all the lamers who like such things. Not to be confused with all the hipsters and trendsetters who will be downloading and using CS3 for free anyway.

It looks like March 27, 2007 is the expected release date for CS3 from what I am reading (I am probably wrong, like the weather I will believe it when I see it). It will come in two flavors, Photoshop CS3 and Photoshop CS3 Extended Edition. The extended edition adds some nifty enhancements for rendering, editing of motion graphics, measurement, and analysis tools for video and scientist types.

I am willing to bet the Extended Edition will dominate the warez releases.

LibertyOrDeath
March 21st, 2007, 11:34 AM
I wonder how that free version will compare to the GIMP, which is also free and seems to be very powerful. The GIMP is said to be less powerful than the full-blown version of Photoshop, but the GIMP is more than enough for most peoples' needs.

megalomania
March 21st, 2007, 05:41 PM
Likely the freeware version will allow people to better use the Adobe file formats. By people I mean it will allow Adobe to better flog their own proprietary file formats gaining them increased market penetration. Since they are interested in sticking it to Micro$oft right now, I say that's just fine.

I have always contended that photoshop would not be nearly as popular as it is if there was no piracy of the product. A significant percentage of the customers who learned the software on pirate copies are now the ones who drive the sales of new versions and all the accessory attachments. The large userbase creates demands for better help files, documentation, instructional websites, and tutorial videos that then attract vast hordes of users to get the program, legit or otherwise.

Wholesale piracy is good news for the little guy and small business owner since they can support a product they would never otherwise purchase until they truly know the product. Only businesses and those with bucks should pay for software. Each according to his financial ability, a truly equitable system.

Nothing like having a demo of a product to get you hooked. So what if that demo lasts 5 years and 7 version upgrades... Eventually the pirate will become a customer, even if it is for better hardware.

Bugger
March 21st, 2007, 06:15 PM
I agree with Megalomania, - but I am very surprised at and suspicious of Adobe's intentions. That freeware Adobe CS3 "Extended" (?) Edition will no doubt be very "cut-down", with very limited functionality (some functions may be save-disabled), and probably unable to handle many file formats. It will probably be little better than currently available free "demo" versions.

Sausagemit
March 22nd, 2007, 04:47 AM
If the new "Extended Edition" will be as easy to crack as the current version of CS3 that was available to download from Adobe's website for a 2 day trial, I say, what's the point of grabbing the lesser edition when you can grab the full version for a trial and change one file name and have it indefinitely :D .

It's not actually steeling if you just change one of the file names on your computer.

nbk2000
March 22nd, 2007, 07:03 AM
They likely figure that if they give away a 'free' version, people will be less likely to 'steal' the full version. :rolleyes:

megalomania
March 22nd, 2007, 05:41 PM
Remember, there are loads of soccer moms and state indoctrinated sheeple childrens who buy the propaganda of the RIAA and MPAA wholesale who actually don't know current copyright law has overstepped its bounds and is itself illegal. No, they actually think piracy is a crime, not justice.

The freeware version will likely only be suitable for children and the elderly (training wheels or depends, pick your analogy).

megalomania
April 12th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Oh happy day, Adobe has released Photoshop CS3, but is still dragging its heels on the collections. The website says the versions will ship at the end of April.

You have your choice of "Design Premium," "Web Premium," and "Production Premium." And of course the big daddy of them all, the "Master Collection."

The Master Collection is of course the all inclusive product suite that everyone will want even if they never use anything but photoshop and adobe reader. It weighs in at a mere $2500.

I find their new marketing slogan particularly appropriate, and maybe somewhat ironic. The slogan is:

"Creative License. Take as much as you want."

Oh, thank you very much, I think I will take all I want and then some.