View Full Version : info about KMn04 Flashpowder? - Archive file

zaibatsu
March 15th, 2003, 03:37 PM
the freshmaker
Frequent Poster
posted January 11, 2001 11:11 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just five minutes ago i made a powerfull firecracker/bomb it was filled with only
8 gr. flashpowder (KMn04/Al/S)
DAMN it was powerfull - my ears are still: iiiiiiiiiiiiii!!

As you can hear am I really crazy with KMn04
flashpowder, now i was wondering if any of you have any information about this flashpowder: Expl.power, stability, favour ratios. etc.

just bring it on

J
posted January 11, 2001 01:31 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is extremely unstable. It is a very powerful oxidizer, on a par with KCLO3. Mixtures made with KMnO4 need so little energy to ignite that they often explode on their own without warning. Don't make it! Stick to KCLO3/KCLO4, the flash will be just as powerful, and it will be safer.

I'm not trying to put you off making flash, but don't use KMnO4. Also, don't mix Sulfur with K/NaCLO3, it is also very sensitive.

J

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted January 11, 2001 03:44 PM
Also, many substances will catalyse the decomposition of KMnO4, which will gradually decrease performance.

Ever tried mixing KMnO4 with red phosphorous? I did, knowing it would be unstable, and it started fuming/smoking! When ignited, it made a little "WOOMPH!" and a smoke ring 45cm accross, which looked pretty good. Not a useful mixture though due to the instability.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted January 12, 2001 07:22 AM
KmnO4/S/C/NaClO3 ignite upon fricton on paper what S/C/NaClO3 doesn't do....

------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o )"

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted January 13, 2001 01:59 PM
Years ago when i was a little stupid, i did the following with a friend (i was dreaming the whole shit...):
I ground up about 60g KMnO4 with mortar & pestle to very fine powder. Seperately i also ground 20g Sulfur. This two powders i mixed with 20g aluminium powder of about 300 mesh and 3g mg powder of approx. 200 mesh.
I grounded thiss all rughly in my mortar, not knowing about instabilyty etc.
As a uniform powder wa achieved, we wrapped this in ca. 1 meter aluminiumfoil and inserted a fuse.
After lightenig the fuse we retired only 10 meter or so and nearly shitted our pants as it went off with a fucking loud boom! It made a 30cm crater about 15cm deep.
About a week later i read somwhere about the insability of kmno4 mixes and was VERY happy it didn't go oof in the mortar........

the freshmaker
Frequent Poster
posted January 14, 2001 05:23 AM
DaMn you were stupid!

Yes, I now that this flash composition is quite sensitive, but if you treat it with respect and NOT mixing 300 gr(!) with a motar and pestle you can save your balls:-

Until now I have only have had warnings not to make this. But it was not what I asked for!
If this flashpowder is so sensitive, why don't you send fuckn warnings to the guys who are making AP and HMTD - it really rips the balls off!!

Come on and give me some real info instead of warnings!!

[This message has been edited by the freshmaker (edited January 14, 2001).]

Anthony
posted January 14, 2001 09:23 AM
If you're not happy with the information that people have taken time to type, why don't you go search the web? The people on this forum are not a bottomless source of information so get off your hiney!

J
posted January 14, 2001 11:00 AM
The reason we some of us warned you was because we don't want you to get seriously injured (at least, I don't). There are relatively safe ways to make loud explosions, and there are dangerous ways. The safe ways usually require a bit more effort.

Personally I don't consider AP or HMTD to be safe enough to make, so I don't make them. If I warned people not to make them, I'de be flamed by all the people who have made them and not had a major accident yet. If people don't research these things properly, I really can't be bothered warning them about the dangers all the time. There are several people on the forum who have had AP go off unintentionally, do a search. Also do a <a href="http://www.deja.com" target="_blank">http://www.deja.com</a> search on rec.pyrotechnics about Permanganate flash. The archives before 1999 have been removed, but you should still get a few hits.

J

Starforce
Frequent Poster
posted January 14, 2001 02:27 PM
Try mix TCAP with kmno4/mg mixture its very powerful, and makes a Flash about 10meters.

Anthony
posted January 14, 2001 06:06 PM
KMNO4 and AP?!

sadsakjoel
Frequent Poster
posted January 19, 2001 10:18 PM
I have made a mix containing KMn04 and sugar mixed with ap, when I mixed in the ap, the mix heated ( Hot ap!) and formed a black pasty sludge, left for a few days it sets hard and I only put it in a matchbox for confinement but maybe it doesn't need any at all?

------------------
All there is to fear is your own co-ordination

[This message has been edited by sadsakjoel (edited January 19, 2001).]

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted January 26, 2001 10:46 AM
Starforce:
10m ok but with what amount?
Also playing with Mg and a peroxyde must be even worst than play with Mg and KMnO4
...sensitivity upon friction you know!

Sadsakjoel:
you find funny to see a mix of suggar/KMnO4 and CTAP heating when mixed...you fool.
Ever tryed glycerine and KMnO4...it heats also a little bit...you get flammes.
Suggar might do the same with a little friction or water...so CTAP may detonate spontaneously.Keep a safe distance when playing with such mixes.

------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o )"