View Full Version : Bit of confusion with BP and Flash powder

Fourfifth
March 22nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Hi, I've searched a few forums, with this being the main one I visit and have searched about and both forums have conflicting(and even different threads on the same forums) and my question is, which is the one that goes poooff, and which goes bangs.

I've looked around and it seems BP is the one, because it burns at a great speed rather than detonating. But before visiting the forums, I was under the impression BP and flash powder were the same.

The type of stuff I'm looking to make is the stuff the old cameras used to use, it makes a whooompppfff noise and a white cloud and a flash. Nothing better than a magic trick within amateur dramatics. I'm normally CG based, but something like this, that looks real is beyond my capabilities on a computer.

Thanks in advance

mil&co
March 23rd, 2007, 05:41 AM
You are looking for a slow flash composition, try using one with Mg and KNO3.

Bacon46
March 23rd, 2007, 09:32 AM
it makes a whooompppfff noise and a white cloud and a flash. Nothing better than a magic trick within amateur dramatics.

The composition used in the video linked below is 2:1 Potassium Chlorate/Atomized Aluminum.

Unconfined it makes the "Whooompppfff" noise as long as you don't use any more than 5g. Much more than that produces a loud, low bang.

Ignite electronicaly or use a long fuse.

The link will take you to a photo album that includes videos and stills of the flash composition ignited unconfined. The stills are a series of nine images taken from the video at .07 second intervals

All of the devises in the linked album used 2:1 KClO3/Al (Potassium Chlorate/Aluminum) KClO4 (Potassium Perchlorate) produces the same result, is easier to obtain, and is safer to use.

Click on the thumbnail below to view video and images.

http://videothumb19.webshots.com/thumb/8938/3086205950100688881EVAkmBth_003_0.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558263114ucdJBC)

Cobalt.45
March 23rd, 2007, 10:35 AM
Check out the PFP database. It contains ~40 different formulas for "Photo Flash".

One calls for beef suet as an ingredient, presumably as a binder- I thought that as a bit odd...

Bert
March 23rd, 2007, 11:01 AM
Be aware when looking at photo flash mixes that many represent a dated chemical technology reflecting the time that such mixes were commonly used (and often compounded by the corner apothecary or the photographer himself-)

Some more modern mixes use powdered Teflon and Aluminum or Magnesium rather than chlorate, perchlorate or nitrates. The more current uses have been largely military, such as night time aerial photography.

Jabir ibn Hayyan
February 6th, 2008, 02:12 PM
The flash mixture first invented for flash photography was a mixture of KMnO4 and Magnesium powder. Magnesium was used because it makes brighter flashes, which was perfect for photography. In terms of an oxidizer, the Nitrate mixture creates more smoke. Different fuels and oxidizers create different variations in noise, smoke, brightness, sensitivity, and even color. I would suggest experimenting until you find a flash mixture that you like best. Some of the mixtures you make may not even be flash powder, but if you know your chemistry, and you can do basic math, then you can create a burning pyrotechnic mixture from all sorts of things. Here are some very basic Fuels and Oxidizers to help you get started.

OXIDIZERS/COLORIZERS
-KNO3
-KMnO4 PURPLE UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS
-KClO4
-KClO3
-Sr(NO3)2 RED
-NaNO3 YELLOW
-CuSO4 GREEN
-Epsom Salt WHITE
-Fe2O3
-Fe3O4

FUELS
-Zinc
-Magnesium
-Aluminum
-Sugar
-Saw dust
-Charcoal
-Sulfur (Accelerant)
-Flour
-Dust
-Iron Filings

Have fun, and also please check the PFP data base.