View Full Version : RDX Synthesis Problems ??

89GTi16V
March 27th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I am somewhat new here, and have already been warned, after a careful reading of the rules I am trying again...
USE
I am having problems with making RDX. I am using Megalomania's method and following them to the number. I have wasted around 1500mL of 75% nitric acid, and i need some help.
PARAGRAPH
To start with I have no trouble keeping the temperature below 30 degrees Celsius and am adding the hexamine slowly as not to spike the temperature, i have variations between 7 degrees Celsius and 13 degrees Celsius. After stiring the mixture of hexamine and nitric acid for 15 minutes I add it to 1 liter of ice and shake. The crystals form just fine and i filter them out with no trouble.
BREAKS
Once i try to add the crystals to more water, no matter the temperature (I have tried about 5 different variations of water temperature from ice water to near boiling), the crystals seem to dissolve into the water. What could i be doing wrong?
NBK
I am currently drying some crystals that did not under go filtration so they have a extremely acidic pH. I dried some of the acidic RDX in the sun today and it did detonate with the help of .75 grams of acetone peroxide - seems to be powerful but it isnt safe unless it is neutralized. Is it possible to neutralize in acetone or other such chemical.

Notice the i's? Those are hints to what letter is ALWAYS capitalized when used in reference to yourself. That's in the Rules.

fiknet
March 28th, 2007, 05:24 AM
...75% nitric acid...

Sounds like you have just been making HDN the whole time, you need around 96-99% fuming Nitric Acid for RDX

The_Duke
March 28th, 2007, 05:27 AM
You have already recieved one warning, I don't think you'll be given a second...

This post is an example of laziness in it's most purest and contemptuous form, for shame on you.

stephenb25
March 28th, 2007, 06:16 AM
"Put 335 mL of 100% nitric acid in a 500-mL beaker" megalomania's site
a stated you need 96-100% HNO3 in order to make RDX
Try reading a bit better next time. It saves acids and harsh criticism

89GTi16V
March 28th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Yea, I see that now and feel like an idiot, but still it did answer my question so thanks guys!

But, this is still an explosive so does anyone know how to neutralize it, apparently not many people know about this stuff because the threads on it don't seem to go into detail - I guess it is pointless to make this when you could just make RDX, but still, I am curious now.