View Full Version : Nazi handgun!

knowledgehungry
March 29th, 2007, 03:03 PM
A neighbor of mine who was in WWII is passing away, and has given my mother power of attorney as he has no family to speak of.

While she was searching through his house to sort things to sell to pay for his bills, she found a WaltherPP with the US army paperwork that stated it was a legally taken from prisoners/enemy forces and the my neighbor legally claimed it as his.

The gun is chambered for 7.65 and has about 3 iron eagles stamped on it(so it was made by the nazis as well as used by them). I was wondering if any of you guys had any idea of its worth. I don't want to sell it but since it is not mine, I may have to "buy" it from my neighbor, at a price my mother chooses, as he is not able to make decisions such as that.

festergrump
March 29th, 2007, 05:03 PM
WOW!

To your neighbor on his deathbed I'm sure it's priceless, as are probably every single one of his memories to go along with his participation in the war.

It's really hard to put a pricetag on something like that. It's value is really only as high as the thickness of the heartstrings it tugs on... So long as I could sit down and listen to the man's story of how it was acquired, documenting it all on not only paper but also audio media, I'd almost be willing to offer my left testicle for it.

Since he has no family in which to heirloom his most prized possessions, you might find that the price he asks would be only to know that it will find a good home with someone who values it as much as he does/did. But since your mom wants to do the "right thing" and pay a dying man a financial sum for it, I'd easily peel off a couple of hundred dollar bills to appease her mind that she did good by him. He probably cares less about money so much as making his peace with God about now.

Please tell me you can provide some nice pictures, even if it doesn't eventually find it's way permanently into your hands. With good closeups of the Nazi insignias stamped upon it you are sure to find someone online more knowledgeable of the true monetary value it holds, which assuredly will be much less value than I would/could ever put on it.

Having it appraised by a reputable gunsmith with some WWII knowledge might be a good idea. Definitely worth a couple of bucks just to know it's bottom worth in estimation.

If you ever DO end up with it as your own, I'd make it a point to take it to the Antiques Roadshow when they're in your area. No shit. You'll almost assuredly find an expert there who will look at the markings and serial number and practically piss his pants as he tells you off the top of his head some real gems about it's history just from serial numbers and the markings alone. After he calls some colleages of his, might even be able to research the name of the gentleman officer it was issued to.

I don't think I have to tell you that I am envious of your (hopeful) new prized possession... :)

Does it just have the Nazi eagles or does it also have the Swastika? Original holster?

Sausagemit
March 29th, 2007, 06:39 PM
If it's in good condition and still fires (hasn't been deactivated) I would say a whole lot to the right person.

The markings on the gun will determine weather it was an Wehrmacht officers pistol or Polizei (police) pistol. There may have been more Walther PP's that were marked by the Nazi's but I haven't heard of them.

The two following links are pictures of a police pistol

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/sausagemit/ssPP-10.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/sausagemit/ssPP-13.jpg

And the next two are of an officers pistol

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/sausagemit/PPnazi-13.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/sausagemit/PPNazi-7.jpg

megalomania
March 29th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Since he is on his deathbed and all, wouldn't a better solution be to give away all the merchandise to the deserving while he is still alive and stick the banks with the bill after he is dead? After all, the dead care not for their debts, and the bill collectors can't go after any family if there isn't any.

I don't think anyone, even a knowledgeable person of antique firearms, could render a decision without actually seeing the item. You may have to find an actual appraiser who deals in such things. Actually, you will want two or three opinions since any one is likely to lowball you and offer to pay a few hundred bucks for your "toy" when it is really worth tens of thousands of dollars.

chemdude1999
March 29th, 2007, 10:39 PM
If you have difficulty locating an experienced appraiser, try flipping through Shotgun News. There is always a column near the front that goes over antique firearms. Contact the writer if you'd like. He seems quite knowledgeable.

I have to partially agree with Mega's post above. Although, he should not get ripped off of his last remaining possessions, he should not have to fork over thousands of dollars to the government. His family should not have to part with it either after his death.

I know of someone that had their father "gift" them 30 grand under the table. The son then took care of the father when needed and the government was stuck with some bills after the father died. The hospital sent the son some small bills, and he basically told them to fuck-off and try going after the wetbacks that pop babies out for free in their buildings.

Fuck the blood-sucking assholes. If at all possible, keep the items and cash underground. No checks or wires transfers. Do not report it, or drastically under report it. Use your head, but stick it to the fucking government.

I wish the gentleman a dignified passing.