View Full Version : improvised gun barrels

April 2nd, 2007, 12:09 AM
I am working on a 9mm submachinegun and have the trigger mecanism,lower reciever and uper reciever complete. Now I am stumped on a barrel for a 9mm bullet. Any ideas? I have heard that you can make the barrel out of a piece of hydraulic tubing, this tubing, convieniently is impossible for me to get. Is there other improvised barrels that I can use?

nbk2000
April 2nd, 2007, 02:16 AM
DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) AKA Seamless Steel tubing.

amachinist
April 2nd, 2007, 11:53 PM
If you have access to a lathe a grade 8 bolt or metric equilavent could be bored and turned to final size, an axle shaft or torsion bar from an old VW beetle.

If you do not have access to a lathe,McMaster Carr carries 4130 0.374"id with 0.75"od stock #89955K55, I imagine a local industrial supply house will carry something similar.

April 3rd, 2007, 12:44 AM
Looks like I won't have to have to worry about building a barrel (though I do own a lathe) , I called KMS tools and they are ordering in a piece 9.01mm X 400 mm seamless tubing. Now if it gets here before 2010 I will be impressed!

Jacks Complete
April 3rd, 2007, 07:25 PM
Subtle, that. A 40cm 9mm tube... Wonder what that's for?

You should have done it yourself if you have a lathe.

April 3rd, 2007, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I thought of that already. However, they don't know anything about me, who I am or what I want it for. If they do ask, I will think of something. Better bought, I can be assured of the accuracy.

TORCHed
April 7th, 2007, 05:15 AM
If you have access to a lathe a grade 8 bolt or metric equilavent could be bored and turned to final size, an axle shaft or torsion bar from an old VW beetle.

Very much agreed. If you are looking for a strengthened piece of steel, you might want to start looking in the local junk yards. You will easily find axal shafts that will accommodates.

Now, I have always wondered about proper rifling of a barrel. That I would love to know about.

raptor1956
April 9th, 2007, 05:49 PM
There are a couple of books around that deal with rifling. IMO the most useful are "How to drill & rifle a barrel", & "Building the antique rifling machine".

Alexires
April 9th, 2007, 09:08 PM
209 - Don't violate the RTPB. Remember the 7 P's - Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Think of your excuse now, and that saves you (at best) sounding like a fucking moron later when you um and ahhh in reply as to what you wanted it for.

akinrog
May 17th, 2007, 03:12 PM
While searching over the net, I came across this (http://technology.calumet.purdue.edu/met/higley/index.htm), which has a few PDF files and HTML files describing in detail the hammer forged rifling (hereinafter referred to as HFR) process.

Although HFR is not accessible to a single individual, I am of the opinion that if someone can improvise it (in relation to which I had such an impression), someone with a crappily (sp?) bored blank barrel may not only rifle the barrel properly but also correct the incorrect drilling process.

HFR process produces very good inside finish and very durable barrels.

Actually I may post this in another thread (about barrels) which was a few years old, but I prefer this since I don't want to resurrect a dead thread. Enjoy.

Kaydon
May 20th, 2007, 01:48 AM
http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/BarrelMaking.asp