View Full Version : Incendiary Salute w/ videos

Rbick
April 3rd, 2007, 07:36 PM
I was doing some fun experiments with some extra chemicals I have lying around. Those being Fe powder (300 mesh), KNO3 and some Mg/Al alloy. Usually Fe and Al are used to make sparklers, so I thought it would be cool to make an exploding version of that.

First I tested out a mix of 50/50 Fe to AL (10g) and then mixed that with a mix of 7 parts KNO3 to 3 parts Mg/Al alloy (also 10g). The result was a bright and slow burning, extremely hot ignition. When I looked shortly afterwards, I noticed molten Fe on the rock where the mix was ignited. A Fe/Al mix will not ignite by itself, it needed help from the KNO3/Al/Mg mix as Fe requires a great amount of heat to start burning.
Fe/Al mix (http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u6/pudgedog69/Sparkler/?action=view&current=FeFlare.flv)

My next mix was the same as above, except I added a 10g layer of KCLO4/Al flash under the Fe mix. I had the fuse going into the Fe/Al/KNO3/Mg/Al first so it would begin burning before the flash went off. You can see in the video the burning Fe being shot upward from the flash powder. I'll try it at night so it is more prominent and post that later. As a side note, the 10g of flash was a little much, I think 5g is more sensible. And the addition of more Fe to the mix might make it a little more interesting too.
w/ Flash Powder (http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u6/pudgedog69/Sparkler/?action=view&current=KNO3-Fe-MgAl.flv)

April 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM
Cool! I have made random mixes like this, mix this with this and hold a match to it:D None of mine have exploded though:( .

Lewis
April 5th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Rbick, the flash blew the whole thing out! What was the point of that?

Rbick
April 5th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Well it didn't completely blow it out, you can see the burning Fe being shot outward. But thats why I suggested 5g instead of 10, it was a little more powerful than I expected :rolleyes: Good saftey lesson though: Never be complacent around explosives or pyrotechnics!

Shalashaska
April 5th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Ha, very nice... I love throwing things together in random ratios when I'm bored. That was one of the more entertaining videos I've seen in a while.