View Full Version : OTC Dimethyl Sulfate

nbk2000
April 8th, 2007, 12:00 AM
It is a colorless, odorless, oily fluid at STP, with non-irritating vapors that allow a lethal dose to be inhaled without warning, and with a 4 hour delay between exposure and effect, making it insidious in nature and on par with Mustard Gas (except for it's resistance to hydrolysis).

Acute exposure to the vapors of DMS causes severe inflammation and necrosis of the eyes, mouth, and respiratory tract. Acute oral or inhalation exposure to DMS primarily damages the lungs but also injures the liver, kidneys, heart, and central nervous system (CNS). Even at low concentrations it has a vesicant action on the skin.

The LD50 is estimated at about 150mg/M3.

From DuPont's website (http://www.dupont.com/dms/safety/index.html):

Vapor Exposure

Effect of Vapor on Eyes
Dimethyl sulfate vapor may cause injury to the eyes and adjacent tissues that varies from slight irritation with tears to severe inflammation and edema of the eyelids and the eyeball. Irritation of the eyes may not be noted until several hours after exposure to low concentrations of the vapor. After the acute effects have subsided in severe cases, increased sensitivity to light, partial color blindness, and reduced visual acuity may persist.

An early symptom of overexposure to dimethyl sulfate vapor is a fiery red inflammation of the eyes (possibly accompanied by a delayed burning sensation). If this occurs, first aid should be given promptly, and appropriate preventive action should be taken to ascertain presence of possible leaks. Because of variation in individual susceptibility and possible delayed effects, these symptoms should not be relied on in lieu of other methods of monitoring air concentrations of DMS.

Effect of Inhaled Vapor
Dimethyl sulfate vapor is extremely irritating to all parts of the respiratory tract. This irritation may not be noted until several hours after exposure. Mild exposure leads to dry, painful cough, chest pain, and irritation of the nose and throat that may pass in 1 or 2 days, leaving only dryness of the throat. Moderate exposure causes reddening and swelling of the nasal mucous membranes and the vocal cords. The lungs and trachea are affected; there may be foamy, white sputum. With proper treatment aimed at reducing cough, the patient may recover in a few days; otherwise, more serious injury to the lungs may follow. In 6 to 8 hours, severe exposures lead to great difficulty of breathing, with general malaise and fever as well as a rapidly developing inflammation and edema of the lungs. Severe exposures may be fatal.

Effect of Vapor on Skin
Skin exposure to high concentrations of the vapor may produce reddening and possible burns. In exposure to high vapor concentrations, dimethyl sulfate may penetrate the skin and produce systemic poisoning.

Liquid Exposure

Effect of Liquid on Eyes
Contact of liquid DMS with the eyes rapidly causes severe irritation of the eyes and eyelids. Unless the liquid is quickly removed by thorough irrigation with water, prolonged or permanent eye damage may result.

Effect of Liquid on Skin
Contact of liquid dimethyl sulfate with the skin produces initial reddening and possibly itching, followed by severe burns that may extend through the skin to the underlying tissues if the liquid is not rapidly removed. These burns may heal slowly. In lower concentrations, the corrosive action on the skin is accompanied by prolonged analgesia. Dimethyl sulfate may be absorbed through the skin, and absorption of large quantities may produce pulmonary effects, circulatory collapse, convulsions, and unconsciousness. The effects of dilute solutions may not appear for several hours.

Good stuff! :)

http://rapidshare.com/files/24871755/OTC_DMS.rar.html

The usual password for the above.

In summary, the process uses a Sodium Sulfate, Sulfuric Acid, and Methanol in a distillation process to produce DMS in a ready-to-use state.

To convert concentrations in air (at 25 °C) from ppm to mg/m3: mg/m3 = (ppm) × (molecular weight of the compound)/(24.45)

akinrog
April 9th, 2007, 02:54 AM
On a note about DMSO4, it's a probable carcinogen and most probably effects reproductive system of the one who s exposed to it.

Source : http://www.google.com/search?q=Dimethyl%20Sulfate%20Cancer&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

So unless you have specific equipment (a fume hood), stay away from it NEWBIES. Regards.

nbk2000
April 9th, 2007, 03:53 AM
This is NOT DMSO (Dimethyl Sulfoxide)!

DMSO is used in muscle pain treatment for animals (and people), and as a drug carrier.

DMS (Dimethyl Sulfate/Sulphate) was a CW used in WW1, and a TIM in modern times, that would be very useful as a poor-mans CW, giving it's OTC nature.

Though there's nothing to prevent mixing the two. :)

And, if I remember correctly, DMSO is made from DMS, so there's everything you need.

teshilo
April 9th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Hmm. DMS can be also used in nitromethane preparation..

nbk2000
April 19th, 2007, 02:06 PM
It also reacts with hydrogen peroxide to form methyl peroxide, a highly-explosive gas that liquifies at 13°C, which sounds like a good candidate for an FAE fuel.

The DMS precursor salt, I wonder if it would produce a useable amount of DMS if heated at atmospheric pressure, or if it has to have vacuum to release DMS. If the solid salt would generate at least some DMS, than that'd be useable for long time storage, prior to generating the DMS on target using a thermal generator.

Chris The Great
May 10th, 2007, 12:38 AM
DMS decomposes at it's boiling point, so the vacuum is necessary to distill it. I don't think the salt would product much DMS if simply heated, since it probably exists in equilibrium to make our lives complicated, so I doubt using it as you describe would work. Methyl sulfuric acid itself exists mostly as DMS and sulfuric at 140°C, of course it will just cool down rapidly and change back if it's sprayed around for example... Possibly it could cause some buildup of fumes but it would really be a fairly half-assed weapon imho compared what else one could do.

The procedure could use a bit (A LOT) of work... it DOES work however, but I think it could work far better. Patented processes using essentially the same general procedure generally get 80% yield for example. So I'm working on an improved procedure, and will post my results (success or dismal failure) when they are ready.

nbk2000
June 29th, 2007, 08:55 AM
I found this quote from a cyanate manufacturers website:

When heated in the presence of dialkylsulfate and anhydrous sodium carbonate it forms the corresponding alkyl iso-cyanate ( RNCO )

'Alkyl' is chem-speak for 'alcohol', such as methyl or ethyl. In this case, by using methyl in the above quote, we get dimethyl sulfate and methyl isocyanate AKA 'Bophal Fumigant'.

From US Patent 4206136:

...there were used 93 grams (1.4 mols) of sodium cyanate (98% pure), 49 grams (0.4 mol) of potassium cyanate (99% pure), 20 grams (0.4 mol) of calcium oxide, 9 grams (0.08 mol) of sodium carbonate and 4 grams (0.04 mol) of calcium chloride and the 189 grams of dimethyl sulfate were dropped in during the course of 110 minutes. The yield of methyl isocyanate was 99 grams, corresponding to 87% based on the alkali cyanate added.

All ingredients are OTC. :)

megalomania
June 29th, 2007, 06:30 PM
'Alkyl' is chem-speak for 'alcohol',

Your definition is correct, but I think you meant to say alkane, as in straight chain, rather than alcohol.

nbk2000
June 29th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Yo, Iz trying to keep it streat nigga, fo' real! and you come around with dis schzool lrning!!!!!

In other words, I know that, but I'm trying to avoid complicating the issue of alkyl/alkane for n00b's, though I suppose they need to learn sometime.