View Full Version : Considering RapidShare ?

tmp
April 14th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I would really like some opinions on getting a RapidShare(paid) account. The
FTP has served the community fairly well although my ISP(Comcast) won't
provide any more upload bandwidth, currently limited to 768 kbits. This is
annoying as hell to me and I'm sure many members. I have no issue with
paying for an account to host my files provided they aren't deleted after some
capricious period of time. I know this would benefit the community greatly
with, above all, INCREASED DOWNLOAD SPEEDS !

Does anybody out there know if there are restrictions on the contents of
files that can exist on RapidShare ? If so, does anybody know of a similar
service who doesn't give a shit about content ?

As a bonus, I want to give administrators and moderators, NBK2000 and
Megalomania immedately come to mind, DIRECT access to the account. I do
this already with private accounts on the FTP.

All opinions, negative or positive, are welcome ! I eagerly await your replies !

defiant
April 14th, 2007, 10:02 PM
According to rapidshare, a premium user's files will not be deleted as long as their paid membership continues. Rapidshare is the only server (I've used) that claims it won't delete paying members files, but its changed its policies before... It seems most files are safe to upload as long as they're zipped or rarred with password protection.

On the downside, non-paying rapidshare users could only download one file an hour. It used to be 100 Mb's an hour using free downloads, but they changed this policy and reduced the limit (while increasing the waiting time). Now it seems that one 7 Mb - 100mb download is the limit for a free user.

Uploading to rapidshare also occurs at about the same rate as uploading to your ftp. Your ftp allows for resumable uploads/downloads, whereas resuming with rapidshare requires payment.

Finally, shareing your account with others is doable, but if there's too much activity on the account (I forgot the exact number of Mb's) rapidshare will suspend your account for a day. If daily downloads higher than rapidshare's limit for premium users reoccurs regularly, rapidshare reserves the right to suspend your account permanently.

All things considered an ftp is far superior to rapidshare (except for the troubles involved from your end...)

nbk2000
April 15th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Megaupload has a 500+MB download limit for any one non-paying downloaders IP, which clears after a few hours. :)

MIHD.net says no download limit, and they don't use annoying CAPTCHA's either, though there is a reliability issue.

I would check out the alternatives first, as everyone is trying to one-up each other on giving more for less (though don't expect longevity).

Regardless of which one gets used, use non-descriptive file names and a good passphrase on the RAR, encrypting the filenames too.

akinrog
April 16th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Does anybody out there know if there are restrictions on the contents of files that can exist on RapidShare ? If so, does anybody know of a similar service who doesn't give a shit about content ?

Sir, unless you personally host the files (in our case the FTP), many file hosting companies impose restrictions on what is shared. If a complaint is filed, then they first hash the file and remove the file everytime you upload it to them.

As for megaupload, they are serving solely to US based IPs, even if you purchase a premium account. :mad: :mad: Been there and done that. :(

Regards.

megalomania
May 10th, 2007, 02:32 AM
I have recommended including a randomly generated text file into password protected archives in order to change the values of any hashing. NBK just reiterated the importance of using meaningless filenames and password protection to obfuscate the true identity of a file.

A niche operation like The Forum will not have the copyright fags submitting the rat button quite so often, but it could still happen. With a paid account I wonder if that is less likely to occur though. In my experience those who pony up the cash get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to a reported file, vs a free file that just gets wiped for any, or no, reason.

Since I stand to benefit, I am all for it :) I would upload a lot more stuff if I had an account. I don't download much, but when I do I sure wish I had an account. Uploading, though, is a royal pain for freebies unless you just have small files.