View Full Version : How safety about KCLO4

CCC
April 15th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I am an amatuer of Pyrotechnics, I have try KCLO3 before without any problems even I store mixture of KCLO3 , S & C for months in summer hot seasons . But my friend get fire when he mix them by metal spoon and burn eye bow but luckily he has no serious hurt. I told him not use metal spoon to rub against the mixture again.

I know KCLO4 is much more powerful than KCLO3 but searching from this forum and read some books, they stated that KCLO4 is safer than KCLO3, I want to know how safe about KCLO4 than KCLO3? Can KCLO4 rub against with S or C even Al ?
Is it ignite more difficult than KCLO3? Is it safe to store KCLO4 in glass bottle and plastic bottle in book self ?

Anybody can tell me to let me handle KCLO4 in safety mode? Thanks in advance.

tomu
April 15th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Nothing in Pyrotechnic is safe, you wouldn't do it if it were safe.

Compositions with potassium perchlorate KClO4 are safer to handle to a certain degree than chlorate mixtures. Mixing sulphur with perchlorate for example doesn't make the mixture so highly sensitve as it would be the case with chlorate.

Rubbing pyrotechnic or any explosive composition together, especially if they contain powdered metalls or sulphur is not a great idea. Rubbing perchlorate comps is a particular bad idea so it is certainly not considered safe practice. Rubbing chlorate mixture is just plain insane - suicidal.

Perchlorate as well as chlorate can be stored in a glass bottle without any problems, explosive mixtures should not be stored in glass bottles because of the danger of shrapnell.

Pyrotechnic composition with perchlorate as an oxidizer do ignite a bit more difficult as do chlorate comps, but just to a certain degree, for example perchlorate stars do require careful and good priming to ingnite for sure.

Try to get some books about pyrotechnic, there are some very good ebooks, e. g. Conkling, John A.: "Chemistry of Pyrotechnics: Basic Principles & Theory" available online and do some further research.

Shalashaska
April 15th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I know KCLO4 is much more powerful than KCLO3

That's not true. I'd say they're about the same, but KClO3 is somewhat more powerful.

peppovsky
April 15th, 2007, 01:26 PM
The thing is KClO4 gives more oxygen radical per mol then KClO3, but the KClO4 structure is more stable.

CCC - KClO3, in contact with Sulfur produces some sulfunic acid, as far as I remember, or even sulfuric acid (!!) which CAN ignite the KClO3/Sulfur mixture (ever tried dropping some concentrated H2SO4 on a KClO3/Sugar mixture? it ignites instantly...). DO NOT EVER mix KClO3 and Sulfur and keep it stored. You've had luck with it this time, next time you'll hurt yourself or others. Also, while doing pyrotechnics try to use KClO4 instead of KClO3 wherever you can.

CCC
April 15th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Many thanks to tomu,Shalashaska and peppovsky response so quickly ,many thanks your valuable info for me and I'll carefully handle KCLO4 as KCLO3. Your experience let me safer for fun with them.