View Full Version : Metal Lathe 101 torrent

Corona
April 19th, 2007, 12:17 PM
http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1117492/154514/

Total size - 2.65 GB

4 videos. Good quality. Supposed to be basic stuff, but has more than I know. Many would find it useful.

---------------------
This is a set of four instructional videos that teach the basics of using a metal lathe. Very good basic instruction.
---------------------

defiant
April 23rd, 2007, 11:32 PM
Finally got it downloaded, and though I haven't watched it in its entirety yet, its quite good from what I've seen thus far (and I'm not inexperienced on the lathe).

The instructor explains lathe fundamentals clearly and concisely.

The only thing I've seen thus far that's innacurrate is the instructor's lengthy explanation on the proper method of manual feeding (i.e. holding the handwheel knob in one hand in a defined manner), and shortly thereafter demonstrating a manual feed controlling the wheel with two hands (abandoning the knob altogether) - which is common practice because it results in better control and a smoother finished cut.

Other than that, from what I've seen thus far its dead on instruction and definitely worth seeing. Thanks.

Jacks Complete
April 24th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Can someone post the torrent file? It says you need to register to get the file now it is a bit older, but registrations are closed!

Corona
April 24th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Since... for some unexplainable reason... I can't attach anything to my posts in this section, I will try and send you by private message.

akinrog
April 25th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Thank you Corona for the torrent. The videos were very informative. But the thing which made me drool most is the Gunsmithing video ads in each videos. :D

defiant
April 25th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Gunsmithing videos are available as DVD rentals (in the US) from http://smartflix.com/. Metalworking videos too. Cost is approximately $6 a DVD with postage.

Corona
May 7th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Torrent on Rapidshare.

http://rapidshare.com/files/30039832/lathe.rar.html

springerslave
July 30th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Huntflix.com is a much better deal than Smartflix. Loads of AGI and similar vids.

Also keep an eye on alt.warez.binaries.educational for gun flicks.

megalomania
April 17th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I see on another website about this thread that this torrent is dead, and that the rapidshare file is gone. That complaint was a week and a half ago, and now Demonoid is open again.

I see there is only the one seeder for this file, and the rest of the leechers only have 93%. I would recommend those interested in this material grab it now before it is too late because if that seeder drops, this file is gone for good. There are about a dozen leechers, so this could be a good file to help your ratio on Demonoid.

Again, the link is http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1117492/154514/

Jefferson Davis
April 17th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Been trying to download this for 4 days now .. The seeder with 100% is not on for long runs daily. So like the above poster mentioned if you want it I would grab it now because it wont last forever. Also the home workshop .50 cal rifle mpg by Bill Holmes is another one that is slow seed with 1 person at 100% been on it for 6 days now..

megalomania
April 18th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Indeed the seeder is only trickling out data at an intermittent rate, which is why I am encouraging more people to join the swarm. The other leechers, collectively, do not have 100% of this file yet, but it is getting closer each day. There is only a little less than 100MB yet to be seeded before this torrent becomes self sustaining, at which point it will ignite and there will quickly be a bunch of seeders. Conservatively I give it a week before this happens.

I suspect the seeder has a ton of other torrents he is running. I hope he is not doing some circle jerk scam stringing everyone along considering there are missing parts from each of the 4 video files.

If anyone grabbed these files last year, you can seed them by downloading the torrent file (if you don't still have it) and directing the download to where you keep the files. It will check your completion rate and you will be a seeder. This is how utorrent works anyway, I can't vouch for other torrent programs, but many have similar functions.

megalomania
April 20th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Seems I misjudged that way the torrent winds were blowing. Yesterday evening a new seeder joined the swarm and the whole thing ignited. Now there are multiple seeders and several complete copies amongst the leechers.

Oss
April 20th, 2008, 04:16 PM
You never know, you could always assume someone saw your post and wanted to contribute something back.

Jefferson Davis
April 21st, 2008, 12:34 AM
I started re-seeding this last night. Good luck on getting it . I will leave my end running for another week or so hopefully.

ChippedHammer
April 24th, 2008, 08:33 AM
It has been on the FTP for nearly two months (UPLOAD\Microtek) along with some milling videos. Unless you get the listing file you would have never known it was there.

megalomania
April 24th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Ahh, that explains it. Because Mr Science's folder is so large, when I run a search for files on the FTP it craps out in his folder (hint hint to archive some of those collections...) For some reason WS_FTP starts the search at Z and works up to A, so I can't find anything in the folders before mr.

Microtek
April 25th, 2008, 05:55 PM
It has been on the FTP for nearly two months (UPLOAD\Microtek) along with some milling videos. Unless you get the listing file you would have never known it was there.

I requested the AGI milling videos in the "book and file requests". I uploaded the lathe course as a way of contributing something in return.

megalomania
April 25th, 2008, 09:53 PM
The torrent is much faster than the FTP, and using the torrent help alleviate the limited bandwidth of the FTP. I recommend everyone use a torrent to grab files when they can to free up FTP resources.

akinrog
April 26th, 2008, 07:40 PM
As a principle, I generally use FTP as a joint storage facility, a knowledge base for the community and rarely download anything from it. So I recommend the same to anyone.

My main sources for getting articles, books, videos are either internet (web sites), or P2P networks.

This M.O. is more efficient than connecting to and downloading something from FTP, since one is not subject to bandwidth limit other than your downstream limit.