View Full Version : Medical Glycerine Trinitrate(GTN Spray)

Fourfifth
April 24th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Hi, I have recently aquired some of this from my father, its in a glass bottle(non pressurised, pump action) which is tinted red and comes in quantitys of 11.5g's per bottle. I have around 30grams of it.

From what I remember from college Chemistry, Glycerine Trinitrate is C3H5(NO3)3 and a quick search of google tells me this is the same as Nitroglycerine. But previous usage of NG tells me, when placed on a burner, it did burn quite ferociously. When I burnt a small spray of this, it didnt burn so well.

A quick look at the bottle doesnt show any other active ingrediants, and organic chemistry was never my forte. Im wondering if it could be mixed with an acid of some sort to take away the sensitivity of the NG/GTN and if so, if the acid could be washed out.

I dont plan on doing much with the NG, and will be working with maybe a gram or 2 at most.

So, any ideas if Im on the right track with my theory, or if its complete bollox :)

Edit, forgot to mention that after tasting, the headache followed.

Thanks.

Grapes Of Wraith
April 24th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Going by what I've heard, medical NG is really only a fraction of a percent NG so even If you could get it out it would be in really small quantities so it isn't very practical.

tomu
April 25th, 2007, 05:29 AM
The NG concentration in heart medication is between 0,2% - 0,83%. The heart spray burns so well because the main ingridient is alcohol.

It would be extremly difficult to get the NG out of the alcoholic solution because of it's low concentration, even dilluting the alc. solution with water wouldn't do it because NG is not totally unsoluble in water and the small quantity of NG would simply dissolve into the water.

Btw. NG cannot be made less sensitive by the addition of an acid, the opposite is the case acidic NG is much more unstable, hence the need for careful neutralization after nitration.