View Full Version : OTC KNO3 in Aus

ChippedHammer
April 26th, 2007, 07:22 AM
I'm having difficulty finding a otc source of kno3 in Australia, I've looked nearly everywhere (local hardware, supermarkets etc) where they don't ask questions but I've come up empty. There are a few places (large farm supply places, not exactly 'retail') that I know sell it but I don't feel too confident driving 30km only for them to take details and ask questions.

Would appreciate some pointers

NSW (western Sydney) BTW

Cheers

Charles Owlen Picket
April 26th, 2007, 11:48 AM
OTC applications reveal that KNO3 is utilized in the preservation of meat, as "stump remover", as a nitrate source in Hydroponic growing of a variety of plants, & of course in auto flares and fireworks. NaNO3 is also utilized in hydroponic applications. These are major applications. KNO3 is a VERY common chemical.

The standard method of obtaining OTC materials is to access the MSDS of the product(s) as many products will list their instructions in another language but not list the ingredients on the label! It's extremely aggravating to see such a waste of money but the liability laws supersede the need for the buyer to know what they are buying - what a world we love in.....

Find those products in your area and obtain the MSDS via the internet if not listed on the label. You will find KNO3 in a place like a big city. It's use is so vast that you have but to narrow the field to those items available and get the ingredients utilized, etc. Remember that the chemical MAY be described in a "C.A.S." number format. Obtain the needed CAS number and that may actually save you enormous time when finding the product.

fiknet
April 26th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Nope, only place to get it is farm stores sorry.

ChippedHammer
April 26th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I'll try to find someone older looking to buy some for me then.

Alexires
April 26th, 2007, 10:57 PM
ChippedHammer - I have no problem telling you how to find KNO3 in Aus. PM me.

Hint - Check rural stores.