View Full Version : purifiing calcium oxide & sodium bisulfate

BigArt47
April 28th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I need a method or recipe for purifying calcium oxide (lime)
from sack lime at home depot.. help!

Also need a source of pure sodium bisulfate or dirty with a way to purify..Thanx for anyones helpm in advance or will trade help with electrical or physics stuff.

megalomania
May 9th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I was just reading about this a few weeks ago in an old analytical chemistry book... and I have forgotten it all :(

Let me see if I can dredge up some thoughts. Ahh yes, the "lime" sold at stores is contaminated with a mixture of magnesium and calcium oxidess, hydroxides, and carbonates. You will need to react the "lime" with sulfuric acid to precipitate calcium sulfate, then calcine the sulfate in a hot furnace (above 2000 F if I remember correctly) to produce calcium oxide.

I am afraid there is no getting around the high temperature calcination. In which case you might want to just get plaster of paris, or some chalk, and calcine that instead of wasting your sulfuric acid.

As for me, I have been trying to find a local industrial supplier of lime that actually sells calcium oxide lime. Not all lime (calcium oxide) is really lime (calcium and magnesium oxide, hydroxide, and carbonate).

If you do not mind the presence of magnesium in you lime, calcining the lime you have will still remove all the hydroxide and carbonate portions, giving you a mixture of magnesium oxide and calcium oxide.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, high temperate calcination in an electric furnace and all, but that is the only way to do it I am afraid.