View Full Version : Cole Parmer Chemical Supply Company

emptysoulsavior
May 1st, 2007, 02:49 PM
I have been looking around a lot for places to buy chemicals because it's hard for me to create chemicals (17yo, suburbs, parents) and I recently came across a website called Cole Parmer (they also have a catalogue). I have not purchased anything yet, I was hoping to find out if there is anyone else who has used this website or know whether or not it is trustworthy (and if prices aren't too high). It looks very nice, they have a ton of chemicals at prices I think look reasonable, and they also have safety equipment and materials. I do plan to buy some KNO3 in the near future, and I'll let you know how that goes. I haven't bought chemicals over the internet before, so we'll see how this goes

Here is the link:
'http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_index.asp?cls=17460'

plutobound
May 1st, 2007, 03:45 PM
Cole-Parmer is a large publicly traded lab/industrial supply company. The company I work for use them frequently for lab equipment and supplies. They are trustworthy, but I don't know if they will sell to a private individual.

Bacon46
May 1st, 2007, 03:54 PM
Hey emptysoulsavior

I have never purchased from Cole Palmer but I can tell you the prices are way too high.
The only KNO3 is saw was a 10% aqueous solution at $30.00 for 500ml and $84.25 for 500g of Sb2S3. If you think that’s reasonable you have a larger chemical budget than I do!

You can get KNO3 on Ebay for $1.50 per lb and Sb2S3 for around $15.00 per lb including shipping. I’d try there first.
That’s too bad about your parents. I have children your age. I would never encourage them to do anything dangerous or illegal, but I strongly encourage them to experiment in chemistry and I try to get them involved in some of the things I am working on. It’s one way to keep them interested in mathematics.

Good luck and be safe.

emptysoulsavior
May 1st, 2007, 04:59 PM
Thank You VERY much for your responses.

Pluto- From what I had checked it looked as though it was an option for individuals but I guess I wouldn't have figured it out till I bought something. Good to know they're trustworthy

Bacon- I was looking on Ebay a month or so ago looking for KNO3 and I didn't actually find any, now looking again there is some. Thank you very much! You saved me. I do have a rather large budget; the only stuff I buy is gas, guitar stuff, and chemicals basically, so thank you. I always test stuff with safety. Thanks for your concern! ^^

THANKS AGAIN!!

chemdude1999
May 1st, 2007, 08:45 PM
I use to deal with CP. The best thing to do is set up a business account. It use to be easy, but not sure how difficult it is now. Use to, one could simply enter a fake business name without all the trade references and ID numbers that Fisher wants.

It may be difficult to get those watched chems like NA and forget about drug precursors. The chems are expensive because they are usually ACS grade.

Check the Great OTC Survey thread if you want to stay below the radar.

Gumby
May 18th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Post Apple Scientific might be another option, they seem to be easy to deal with, their prices aren't that bad, and at least last year they would sell to private citizens.

Mauser7
May 19th, 2007, 05:57 PM
For potassium nitrate go to Home Depot or another store like it. It is sold as stump remover and is alot cheaper than the prices you are saying.