View Full Version : NC/NG/NM/NH4 stabilized Detonator

Voodoo0744
May 3rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
First off, I'd just like to say thanks guys for having a website where nobody is an unreasonable prick, like other sites. Anyhow.

I've been thinking about a compound detonator using perhaps 1-1 1/2 grams bullseye smokeless pistol powder, which is NC/NG/2% stabilized. It has TNT equivalent VoD and brisance.
-Could possibly be damp with NG, NM, EDGN, or PGDN to enhance sensitivity and Over Vod/ brisance.
-KCL03/04 for Oxy-balance?
-20-30% AP or 20% KCL03 for sensitivity to detonation?

Second, under that charge is a small amount of PLX liquid explosive, wielding 2.2 times the power of our previous material. This could be absorbed in a small amount of NH4NO3 instead of pure NH4 or other anilines, trading power for stability.

On top of this charge would be placed a normal primary explosive such as an explosive peroxide (not HMTD, it detonates after awhile on contact with the Bullseye powder.), an azide, acetylide, or fuluminate.

If this detonator can be successfully fabricated, we will have at least a small bomb with extremely decent capabilities.

Note: I am recieving an order of 99.5% Nitromethane in 3-4 weeks, beginning Chlorate/Perchlorate electrolysis in 5-7 days, and getting Bullseye powder from a mutual friend soon.

*VoD: Trinitrotoluene 6900 Meters per second, theoretically making this detonator hold extreme power. Even if the PLX charge didn't detonate properly, this detonator still has TNT power.

Container: large spent round, .223/7.62mm. drinking straw (Thick kind, but has to fit)

Pack in the BSP Charge.
Carefully press in the AP charge on top of it(practical, but dangerous chain-detonation charge)
Sealon both ends, add fuse or rocket initiator/wire to AP. Call this Det. #1

Take Epoxy paint or similar adhesive, pour in the empty shell, and pour out, letting it coat the inside for a thin, but durable seal.

Mix up a very small amount of PLX or AN/NM (very damp).

Pour/inject or pack an amount of PLX/ANNM explosive unitl the shell is 1/3 (? good enough?) full.
Insert Det. #1(sealed) on top/into the PLX/ANNM.
Crimp, seal generously with epoxy.

/ \
|[AP]|
-----
|[BSP]|
---
|=PLX=|
____

If this post is completely useless guys/ladies , I apologize.:o
Otherwise give me you comments/critisism! :)

Voodoo0744
May 3rd, 2007, 01:23 PM
On second thought, I bet any moderately powerful home synth'd explosive could match the smokeless (*IE: Picric acid, ETN, PETN, RDX, of that sort.)

I guess the point is: Quick, easy, powerful, Safe, Reliable.

I really bet it detonates ANFO. I intend to do tests as soon as I recieve my Nitro.

simply RED
May 4th, 2007, 07:38 AM
To detonate ANFO reliably you need at least 200g TNT equivalent.
I guess you use 200ml gelatinized NG or EGDN (with 5% smokeless powder) (booster in a small tin can) and 3 g HMTD for detonator.

300-500g AN/NM or 200g AN/HMTD (20-30%HMTD) also works as a good booster.
Making straight anfo is waste. Go for amonal, anfo-k, AN-terpentine-Al, AN-urea nitrate etc...

This is the 1000001 time this question has been asked and answered, btw...

Alexires
May 4th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Voodoo - You probably could have found a thread to post that in....

Personally, from a chemical standpoint, I would be hesitant to mix AP with a per/chlorate. It might form per/chloric acid, and as we know, acids and AP don't really mix well.... I'd go for the old AP putty with NC in it.

In the next part, if you are talking about ammonia, that is NH3 not NH4. NH4 is the Ammonium ion that really only exists when ammonia is coupled with something (nitrates, sulfates, etc).

Why would you use a liquid explosive? That just makes problems of needing to seal the initiator of all liquid so the PLX doesn't get in there and make it insensitive to whatever fuze you are planning to use.

If you wanted a liquid explosive, you could try just using MEKPAN without an initiator....

For what purpose do you design this initiator? If it is just for the sake of making an initiator, use someone else's that has been proven to work. KISS principle and all that.

If it does have another purpose that you have designed it around, please tell and we might be able to help some more....

Voodoo0744
May 5th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Okay guys, adjustments.

Scratch any chlorates if AP is used, for the danger of Perchloric acid creation.
(Thanks for the tip-off Alexires)

If AP is however used, make a shaped AP putty charge, 60/40 ratio (AP to SP) for extra power, and less sensitivity. (Is AP putty DTD capable?)

Again, under that is the Bullseye powder or any simpler high-order explosive with good capabilities. Such as: RDX, PETN, Picric, ETN..the works. You know.

PLX is still the 3rd charge, it's power versus simplicity is impressive.

The charge container is still the same, unless you are specifically detonating extremely insensitive compounds. If you are, it can be upped to a .50:rolleyes: shell to accomodate around 200-225mL. of PLX as opposed to 25mL.-ish in the puny .223.

Thanks a lot for your responses guys.

By the way, glass snaps (bubbles, breaks) could be added to the AN explosive you might be thinking about to enhance it's sensitivity.

simply RED
June 30th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Somebody criticized my post, as a reputation comment :).

For this very individual I have to make some explanation:

Dear forum member, the 3 grams HMTD is the detonator. The 200 grams high explosive is the booster, okay? You put the detonator in the booster and the booster in the AN explosive. You may make several hundred experiments to determine that 200g is quite sensible amount for AN explosives booster.

Some mistakes with AN mixes: wet AN, not crushed AN fertilizer prills, too much fuel oil, wet fuel oil, diameter less than critical, small booster, weak enclosing.

If you have more questions please ask as a PM.

Alexires
July 29th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Maybe its just this thread, simply RED, but someone didn't like my AP putty comment as well, for some obscure reason.

For that person, I'm assuming that you think that some kind of AP putty is a k3wl idea, but it has been mentioned here on the forum, and is a mix of AP with Nitro Cellulose.

The appropriate thread is here (http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=353&highlight=putty), I believe.