View Full Version : TABRE Armor system?

akinrog
May 7th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Dear Friends,

I've been after this armor system for a long period of time (about 2 years), but I'm unable to find any detail since it's quite new system.

Essentially, AFAI understand it's some sort of grit fixed by means of some sort of (proprietary) resin.

http://www.ihop-net.org/UniPub/iHOP/pm/11033186.html?pmid=16096564
http://www.jtrauma.com/pt/re/jtrauma/fulltext.00005373-200507000-00033.htm;jsessionid=GwjZXntXXT7DyLjjXQyMp9DGBmNTH F6xBTnL1232XLmJvtK0ntlw!50530596!-949856144!8091!-1

This system is quite effective in mitigating blast shock waves which effectively eliminates /alleviates land-mines and similar explosive threats which vehicles or boots are exposed to.

This system might be quite effective for hardening improvised armors, might even prove useful in NBK's explosive body armor.

Anybody know any detail regarding thereto? Regards.

tomu
May 9th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Do you know this PDF-file about rigid Polyurethanfoam used in blast protection

www.generalplastics.com/uploads/technology/PUFoamAT.pdf

My guess is such foam is an integral part in TABRE.

Quote: " The TABREshield works as if resembling a 'sponge' - the labyrinth of tiny air pockets in the TABREshield 'sponge' traps energy from the explosion and breaks-up and absorbs the shockwaves from the blast, capturing it in the air pockets and forcing it through a convoluted path to escape. The two other layers in the system catch any fragments and resist the pressure of the expanding hot gases."

Search google with terms "Tabre blast attenuation" and the terms "Technology for Attenuating Blast Related Energy".

Have a look at the BBC article which describes TABRE as minute grains of stone coated in resin. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/671647.stm

akinrog
May 10th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Do you know this PDF-file about rigid Polyurethanfoam used in blast protection

www.generalplastics.com/uploads/technology/PUFoamAT.pdf

My guess is such foam is an integral part in TABRE.

Thank you for the link. It might be useful. However the inventor, IIRC, Eric Chadwick is a British guy.

I have run into this, when I watched a documentary about armored vehicles on discovery. And since then, I've been after it.

Search google with terms "Tabre blast attenuation" and the terms "Technology for Attenuating Blast Related Energy".

I shall keep on searching.

tomu
May 10th, 2007, 10:55 AM
There is a patent for: Aigis Engineering Solutions Ltd Blast. attenuation container. Date Lodged: 29 May 2003. GB0312264.5

Unfortunately I couldn't get my hands on the patent itself, atleast for now.

I couldn't find anything on Eric Chadwick except a lot about an artist with this name.

Didi they blow up a Land Rover with an AT mine in this documentary? If yes then I've seen it to.

akinrog
May 11th, 2007, 10:15 AM
There is a patent for: Aigis Engineering Solutions Ltd Blast. attenuation container. Date Lodged: 29 May 2003. GB0312264.5

Actually the same patent (I guess) is also present in USPTO under the number of 6938533. However, the patent makes reference to TABRE but does not explain how TABRE is made. :mad::mad:

I couldn't find anything on Eric Chadwick except a lot about an artist with this name.

I might mispronounce it. Because I did not see it written but rather heard it in a bastardized (i.e. translated) manner. So it might not be accurate in way I've written.

Didi they blow up a Land Rover with an AT mine in this documentary? If yes then I've seen it to.

Actually after showing an UN guy (driving a SUV) who was saved by another armor system in Yugoslavia, they introduced it (i.e. TABRE) by using two other landrovers. However IIRC the charge was a plastic bag full of TNT or some other HE.

The first vehicle without TABRE is literally devastated, the second one which was protected with TABRE retained its integrity. :eek:

akinrog
August 21st, 2007, 03:53 PM
Dear hynishimura,

I believe mods and god of this forum generally hate people who are advertising something here especially if such thing is commercial in nature.

I humbly request you to edit /delete your post and better give some illuminating / contributing information. Regards

Jacks Complete
August 21st, 2007, 06:36 PM
Ah, but should we point and laugh at this guy? Or ask for more info?