View Full Version : Lead Azide Big Crystals

deady
May 30th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Hi Guys

first sorry for my bad english. i'm a swiss guy trying to ask some questions :D

The Synthesis of Leadazide told me that without adding dextrine it can happen that big crystals can be formed wich can detonate themself if they are broken. so my question: whats the size of this crystals? Because i did some Leadazide without dextrine. And i become this result:

http://www.freestyledesignlab.ch/images/bleiazid.jpg

This are potions of fine leadazid powder dryed and they stick together. (in german: zusammenkleben) Is it dangerous to grind the sticky powder softly with a spoon? no, not grind.. how to say.... to take away from the ground... i want to take the powder away without detonation ;)

Thanks for answer ;)

Greetings deady

The same in german (if someone can speek ;))

Bei der Synthese von Bleiazid entstand eine Masse die Gipsartig ist und zusammenklebt. Habe kein Dextrin benutzt. Nun die Frage: sieht man die berüchtigten, zu grossen Kristalle? Kann ich das zusammengeklebte Pulver gefahrlos abkratzen?

Gruss deady

Zajcek
May 30th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Hi, I have the same problems when I make silver azide. It always sticks itself together when it drys. I bend the filter paper and it simply falls off, then I break the lumps with a plastic spoon. (I make silver azide instead of lead azide, because I get silver for free from a friend)

You could probably do the same and break those lumps apart with a plastic spoon very, very carefully. Do not use metal spoon!

It would be a good idea to dry it on a paper (filter paper, news paper) next time, because if it goes off on a ceramic plate, you will be full of shrapnel.

Be very careful breaking it. Use as little force as possible and do not forget about personal protection. (leather gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection)!

Again, be very careful and good luck.

+++++++++++

If you don't brake your car in time, you'll break your bones. NBK

nbk2000
May 30th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Once it's caked and dried like that, it's rather dangerous.

Better to resuspend it, add the dextrin, and filter out again.

deady
May 31st, 2007, 06:47 AM
Thanks a lot for your helpfull informations. So i'll try with a plastic spoon. Yesterday i took 0.3g of Leadazide and hold with a long firelighter a small flame on it. The detonation was so f***** loud that my neighbours runs out to their garden to see whats happened :D Only 0.3g!!!!!! Unbeliveble.

Now my question:
Is it possible to burn a small amount of Leadazide without an explosion? Like TATP or DDDP. If you take a small amount of TATP you can burn it without a detonation. Only a short flame occurs.

Greetings deady

Charles Owlen Picket
May 31st, 2007, 12:32 PM
Most all mil-spec formulation either use dextrine or other water soluble DV agent. From the volume viewable upon that plate you could loose some fingers fast. Friction from the breaking of caked material occurs on a very small level but may occur with enough acuity to detonate a bit which would spread to the whole sample.
This is very good advice as the caking of the material can also hide what may be a very serious problem (foreign matter, etc). Azides are a military standard for several reasons; one of which is raw power.