View Full Version : Cyclonite "k method" - Archive Thread

Anthony
March 5th, 2003, 06:08 PM
shady mutha
Frequent Poster
posted February 13, 2001 04:50 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This method was worked out by Knoffler,and is known as the :K method:
It is based on the fact that hexamethylenetetramine contains 6 methylene groups per 4 amino gruops,i.e the number of amino groups is lower than required for obtaining two molecules of cyclonite.In order to supply the additional two amino groups the appropriate amount of ammonium nitrate is added to the nitrating nitric acid in accordance with the equation;
C6H12N4+2NH4N03+4HNO3-->2{CH2N*NO2}3+6H2O
An increase in yield over that calculated on the basis of the hexamine used is thus obtained.The reaction proceeds only at a high temperature{about 80.c}This has gained favour because the reaction mixture of nitric acid,hexamine and ammonium nitrate may be heated to the desired reaction temperature without fear of an explosion,whereas a reaction mixture without ammonium nitratr may be dangerous even at a temperature just above 25.c.
According to the investigations of T Urbanski and Szyc-Lewanska,cyclonite in also formed by the action of nitric acid and ammonium nitrate on hexamethylenetriperoxidediamine.
It is assumed that the cyclonite is formed from this substance since it contains the grouping-CH2-N.Six methylene groups are attached to two nitrogen atoms.The deficiency in nitrogen atoms made good by ammonium nitrate,as described above.
According to a description from a factory at Elsnig nitration is conducted in reactors with a capacity of 500l.,in which 1 part of hexamine per 8.6 parts nitric acid plus the calculated amount of ammonium nitrate are added to 99% nitric acid.
A temperature of 15.c is maintained in the nitrator by cooling and the reaction mixture enters the reactor below,which is equipped with a number of vertical pipes warmed externally with hot water.Here the reaction mixture is heated to 80.c and this temperature is maintained for 30 mins while the reaction involving ammonium nitrate takes place.The mixture is then indroduced into the container below where the whole is cooled th 20.c

shady mutha
Frequent Poster
posted February 13, 2001 10:42 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cyclnite in approximately 90% yield is crystallized in the following way:the product is separated from the spent acid on a rotary filter and after being washed with water and neutralized with a 5% solution of sodium carbonate it is crystallized from acetone.
To produce 1000kg of cyclonite
480-500 kg of hexamine
4800 kg of ammonium nitrate
8600 kg nitric acid.
The consumption of ammonium nitrate amounts to 1200 kg and of nitric acid 1400 kg.

Jumala
Frequent Poster
posted February 13, 2001 10:57 PM
What is the source of this informations?
Do you have access to the Urbanski books?

Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted February 14, 2001 01:11 PM
Shady, crystallised in what way using acetone ? By pouring it into the acid solution or what ?
Plus, what's the AN for ? Does it help to increase the yield of the cyclonite ?

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted February 14, 2001 02:44 PM
So the method also apply if Hexamine is substituted with HMTD eh? Interesting.

Cricket
Frequent Poster
posted February 14, 2001 04:24 PM
A couple months ago I, I think someone said that they wondered if you could upgrade some HMTD to RDX with mainly 98%+ nitric acid. I thought it was a good idea, but too good to be true. Hmm guess I was wrong. Im glad too. Thats neat. I hope someone can post more info (like the exact process) on the method of making RDX where you warm it and use AN in the process. Sounds safer if YOU warm it, so you can controll the temp more.