View Full Version : Polyhydrocarbon

flashpoint
June 26th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Ok, well I've been to several places looking for plastics, to store some mixes in. I prefer not to use Polyhydrocarbon for the sake of being able to store wet AP and MEKP, and other stuff :eek: Any ideas or brand names I can look for? I've been everywhere looking and even fuckin' googled it. I requested on another forum, and they are not sure, either. Anyway hopefully I don't get banned for this dumbass question ;)

megalomania
June 26th, 2007, 02:12 PM
By polyhydrocarbon, do you mean plastics made from polymerized organics. Finding a plastic not made from a hydrocarbon base would be a tall order. I think by definition that's what all plastics are. Maybe something old like bakelite or melamine would fit the bill.

DF90
June 26th, 2007, 06:55 PM
If by not poly(hydrocarbon) you mean not a plastic made of just carbon and hydrogen there are a few options. There are thermoset plastics (formaldehydes) like bakelite and melamine as Megalomania suggests... Another possibility is to use a polyester... as you have not defined whether it needs to be a polymer or not, another option is epoxy (another thermoset). However you will need to check the compatibility of the substance with the plastic to make sure there is no unwanted reaction.

flashpoint
June 26th, 2007, 08:52 PM
According to, http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=349&highlight=MEKP, which was orginally by Vegeta...it says not to use that to store MEKP.

I'm guessing because it will soften/melt the plastic...like PVC cleaner/primer does to PVC fittings before you glue them.

nbk2000
June 27th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Glass.

Microtek
June 27th, 2007, 07:16 AM
I'd try a PE or PP container anyway; they are quite resistant to most solvents. If that doesn't work you could always go for a PTFE container which would be very expensive but is impervious to almost any chemical.

DONMAN
July 7th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Well I have a plastic bottle that was for nail polish remover that I am currently using to store small volumes of acetone. On the bottom it says diamond plastic inc. . It seems to work fine for me, so if you need some thing to store non-polar liquids I would start in the nail polish remover section and look for plastics. Glass nail polish bottles are excellent for storing MEKP. :)

stupid939
July 7th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I would try storing your various chemicals in HDPE (high density polyethylene). They are resistant to things like acetone, many acids (including nitric) and things of this nature. I would thing these would be your best bet.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=14952&product%5Fid=14915

These bottles are nice, and if you look around the site, you will see that Nalgene is a brand name that is pretty well respected and not too expensive. Take a look at those Teflon bottle prices... $53 for a 4oz wide mouth.