View Full Version : July 17th Executive Order.

Ekilo
July 19th, 2007, 10:49 PM
While reading through another site, I came across this link.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/07/20070717-3.html?1

For a number of reasons, this got me fired up. I would like to see how folks here feel about this.

This could be very bad news for this site and the folks who "live" here.

sbovisjb1
July 19th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I believe this was on Reddit and Digg and numerous other Social Networking sites. Basically if you say anything the pigs don't like about Iraq(bet that word will be come ambiguous) they can detain you and confiscate your property as they see fit. With out involving such silly things as the Due course of law. And I live in Canada, where I thank God I do. (I'm a U.S citizen living here for a reason.)

Charles Owlen Picket
July 20th, 2007, 11:35 AM
After reading the piece in it's entirety, it appears to be directed at those who lend material support to those who would oppose us in Iraq.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/07/20070717-3.html?1

Reading the issues carefully does not on the surface appear to limit any Constitutionally protected freedoms. The thrust is directed at actions not verbiage. Mind you I am NOT saying I agree with the LEVEL of the Law's intent as (just like ANY law) it could be abused but they were careful to write in a defensive posture:

(i) to have committed, or to pose a significant risk of committing, an act or acts of violence that have the purpose or effect of:

(A) threatening the peace or stability of Iraq or the Government of Iraq; or

(B) undermining efforts to promote economic reconstruction and political reform in Iraq or to provide humanitarian assistance to the Iraqi people;

(ii) to have materially assisted, sponsored, or provided financial, material, logistical, or technical support for, or goods or services in support of, such an act or acts of violence or any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to this order; or

(iii) to be owned or controlled by, or to have acted or purported to act for or on behalf of, directly or indirectly, any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to this order.

(b) The prohibitions in subsection (a) of this section include, but are not limited to, (i) the making of any contribution or provision of funds, goods, or services by, to, or for the benefit of any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to this order, and (ii) the receipt of any contribution or provision of funds, goods, or services from any such person.

Sec. 2. (a) Any transaction by a United States person or within the United States that evades or avoids, has the purpose of evading or avoiding, or attempts to violate any of the prohibitions set forth in this order is prohibited.
________
Please note I am not defending the law;simply addressing the piece from a discussion perspective.

Jacks Complete
July 20th, 2007, 03:10 PM
This is not new. The USA has for a very long time had a law that prohibits the aiding and abbetting of foreign governments who work against the home country. Indeed, does anyone know of a country where Treason is not an offence?

I do like the double-speak that anything that avoids or evades breaking the law is also breaking the law. So if you choose not to give generously to the "Get the hell out of Iraq, it's their shithole, leave them to it" fund, then you are also technically breaking the law. ;-)

Of course, these types of laws are already in place. Go look at the "War on drugs" laws that let the fed's take everything you own if you get caught with a spliff. Hard to fight them when you are rich, but all your accounts are frozen and you are living out a motel room...

The War Against Terror is the new War on Drugs. Neither is winable, but that's not the point.

Joke time:
What's the difference between the US Govt. and the Terrorists?

The terrorists will eventually get bored and either kill you or let you go.
The US Govt. never gets bored.

Mr Science
July 21st, 2007, 05:54 AM
http://rense.com/general77/asset.htm
Here is an alternate source for it, a little more truthful and direct than the whitehouse press :). Seriously, this gets me furious, and Americans are running out of time to do something about this in a peaceful matter, as it is a matter of time until something HUGE happens over here.

It has been repeated before above, but the "War on Terror" is a complete lie. There is no clear objectives, only vague directions. One mans terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, and vice versa. This war will NOT end until the US controls and dominates all of the world, which obviously will be a huge battle. I can guess what will happen, but all I know is that we have some very scary times ahead of us.

EDIT- A very strong quote by Orwell in the above link I supplied: "If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

Unsunghero
July 27th, 2007, 02:18 AM
I agree with mark, to us they're terrorists but to them it's just serving they're country and god. I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I kind of admire the towelheads, anyone who would give their life knowingly for their country has some balls. On the other hand, why the hell would you blow yourself up when you could remotely detonate it? :rolleyes:

Charles Owlen Picket
July 27th, 2007, 12:28 PM
No flame what so ever, just a thought....As I recall there were some Americans & Europeans that gave their lives willingly for their country as well: facing the military of the opposition toe to toe, not hiding behind a house of worship or the skirts of their women folk.

Knowingly and purposely targeting non-combatants who are not working in munitions factories but simply taking their kids to day-care or their parent(s) to the doctor is not my idea of an admirable individual or a freedom fighter.

TreverSlyFox
July 30th, 2007, 08:26 AM
why the hell would you blow yourself up when you could remotely detonate it?

Because you believe your religion and in your faith the only 100% way to be assured you go to heaven is to die killing infidels.

The U.S. has been fighting Muslims since 1784, a year after we gained our independence. We were told then that Islam would either fight us and destroy us or convert us to Islam. It has always been Islam VS The rest of the World. The Koran tells Muslims to either convert infidels to Islam, tax them as slaves or kill them. They don't hate us because of our freedom, the way we dress or our foreign policy. They hate us because we are not Muslim ... Period.