View Full Version : Copper Carbide

Unsunghero
August 21st, 2007, 02:12 AM
Ok, well I have had a couple of close-calls with AP and HMTD since I got into doing this, and I want a new primary. I was browsing another forum (not gonna mention names don't want to anger y'all) and someone said something about copper carbide being pretty cheap and simple to make.

After searching this forum, no posts concerned the synth of CuCarbide which got me a little suspicious about how well it performs. The only synth I have been able to find so far is here http://www.powerlabs.org/chemlabs/acetylide.htm

I haven't seen much information on it except that it is soluble in water, which kind of sucks. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with copper carbide that they would like to share, because I'm looking into making some as the materials are EXTREMELY easy to obtain.

nbk2000
August 21st, 2007, 03:12 AM
You're batting 0-2 with the search engine.

Once again...UTFSE pulls up four threads with your desired explosive in the title, not counting all the mentions in related threads.

FAIL.

You failed to find it (if you even bothered UTFSE) because the other place (that thankfully remains nameless) used the WRONG name for the explosive that you seek. It's not a carbide. I'd tell you what the proper name is, but that'd be spoon-feeding you. I've given enough hints already for you to find it if you wish to seek it out.

Oh, and it's a primary, not a High-Explosive, so this thread has been moved to the proper section.

FAILx2.

iostream333
August 22nd, 2007, 03:20 AM
Perhaps you're referring to copper (REMOVED, as we don't want to spoonfeed them, now do we? NBK)

If so, doing a search of the forum yields numerous threads discussing it. From what I've read, it's relatively easy to synthesize, but has the disadvantages of being quite sensitive. It is also somewhat impotent compared to other primaries given its low VoD.

I hope that helps. I don't think it would really be a suitable substitute for HMTD or AP, in any category.

megalomania
August 26th, 2007, 04:28 AM
The compound in question is dangerous and unstable. When wet it has its industrial uses, but it is completely unsuitable for military service as an explosive. The ragheads might tempt fate with it since it is easy to prepare, but I think even they would steer clear. Under small scale controlled experiments using safety precautions there would be little to fear, but any device large enough to maim or kill should not use the likes of this.

tmp
August 26th, 2007, 05:51 PM
The member in question is lacking in chemical knowledge. The compound in
question is among the unstable substances that are FORBIDDEN to transport
by any means in the U.S.. This according to Federal Motor Carrier Regulations
and specifically the HAZMAT section. Most compounds with that particular
anion are also illegal to transport. That's very telling about the instabilities
involved.

Unsunghero
October 12th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Yes, I lack in chemical knowledge, learning little by little. Anyways, I saw a couple of discussions on google including powerlabs but nothing on the forums about copper carbide (when searched with quotes there are 3 topics on it in the forums). I was unaware that copper carbide is copper acetylide (at least that's what I'm gathering since it's copper *something* and that pretty much means azide or acetylide. It seemed like that page had silver acetylide and copper carbide on it, I didn't know..

Anyways for that I apologize, to sum that paragraph up.