View Full Version : chemistry books

JohnSmith
August 24th, 2007, 10:26 AM
I have started this topic, in the hope, that the panel will be able, to provide some wisdom, as to where certain books can be bought.
A lot of interesting, and necessary works, can be had,by downloading via rapidshare, or google.books or any other "sharing" system for that matter.
A solution, to be great full for,no doubt,and useful for books or texts that aren't too long.

Some of these books, namely the more scientific ones, are heavy tomes, consisting of several hundreds of pages. It is rather unpleasant, at least in my experience, to read such a work on a CRT or flat screen.

Recently,I have been searching high and low, to find a copy of the four volumes of T. Urbanski, an author, no doubt, known to this panel.
None of the big houses, that trade on the net, have any copies, and a local "real life search" didn't do any good either.
As this work is about 3000 pages, there isn't a hope, that I would be able to read this on a screen, without busting an vein...

So, is there any member, of this forum, that would be able and willing to advise on a vendor of these books,and/or books of this nature?
It would have to be somebody who was willing to send merchandise overseas and is trustworthy.
I have the Urbanski volumes on pdf, but printing 3000 pages, is not really a solution either...

nbk2000
August 24th, 2007, 10:53 AM
These people might have a printed copy:
http://rocketsciencebooks.home.att.net/encyc-explosives.html

Or, if that's not it:
http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/oclc/9219102?sloc=Belgium

Go there and steal it.

Enkidu
August 24th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Don't steal it. Libraries are awesome. :D

The first volume of Urbanski is approximately 700 pages. Here in the US, I believe a black and white printout costs $0.08 per page. Binding is an extra $5. So 700 x $0.08 = $56 plus the cost of binding. You have a book in hand for about $65. That's a good deal, considering the first volume will cost you several hundred USD IIRC.

Of course, you'd need to be a little bit sneaky. The book is still under copyright (I suppose).

chemdude1999
August 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM
If you have a laser printer, you have another option:

In my experience, a normal toner cartridge will give you a good box (5000 sheets) of print-outs (text). So, for about $150 (the cost of a cartridge) you can have the whole damn thing printed out.

Then take the advice above and get it bound. You can also use the portfolio binders that have the long metal straps to bind it (sorry, I forget the proper name for those). With this method, only you will know you possess the "evil" information.

Good luck.

JohnSmith
August 27th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Thank you all for your replies.
I haven't found the books I was looking for in the suggested places, but the first link, that nbk2000 gave, has some other items of great interest!

As far as chemdude1999's suggestion goes,as to printing the whole thing on a laser printer...
well I guess, that I wouldn't have much other options, as the market seems 'dry' for these volumes.
I have an old 4L (HP) and two new generic cartridges, so that should be more then enough, but I will end up binding the whole thing in about fifteen separate volumes, as my ring binder system (punches 21 square holes,then binds the lot with one of those plastic spines) doesn't take more then 200 pages.

The pdf's I have are a good and professional quality,so it should work,as the printer is old, and of low resolution,you need decent file quality.

An there is indeed, a very valid point, in the remark, that it is nobody's beeswax, if you print it out and bind it, there being no record of sale for the books.
Because,not before long, these things will be 'red flagged' no doubt,if they aren't already...
I was even very surprised, today when I was able to buy a couple of litres of nitric 69%, without anybody raising an eyebrow, are even asking a question...
That too,will not last,as I understand,that some countries have already put in restrictions for this compound.

As far as books are concerned, is there no way, that we,here on the forum, can't compile a pdf library,with high quality files,and easy downloads (as opposed to 'rapidshare')?

Surely, there must be a safe and discrete way?
Maybe the moderators have some ideas and/or suggestions?

nbk2000
August 27th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Surely, there must be a safe and discrete way?
Maybe the moderators have some ideas and/or suggestions?

We've got a private FTP that we use for such things. :)

Ask tmp to create a folder on it for you, and upload.

If you show that you can contribute (upload) unique content (not something we've seen a hundred times before) of relevance to E&W, you get to download as well, from over 150GB of content (and growing). :)

JohnSmith
August 31st, 2007, 10:06 AM
I have been uploading like mad!
Since I have been in contact, with 'tmp' and some stuff was cleared up,I am busy trying to get some 2 Giga on the FTP site.

Most of the stuff is of a mechanical nature, and has to do with engines, steam engines, machining, lathes and milling machines,some chemical and some on explosives.

I have a complete index, of what the end result should look like.
So if any of you would like a copy of this (text) file, please send me a message and I will get a mail you a copy strait away.

For reasons unknown to me, the uploading goes very slow at times,so it can be a while before the complete lot is on the server; please be patient.

If any of you would be in need of a file, that is not uploaded yet and that is on the index; let me know, and I can alter the upload sequence.

For now, all is to be found under "upload/library"

megalomania
September 3rd, 2007, 02:57 PM
Offering books for download directly from the website would not only consume vast amounts of bandwidth due to our popularity, but it would expose Rogue Science to the potential legal snag of copyright violations. Due to the nature of our discussions, and the nature of any books we would offer for download, we have many enemies who are actively suppressing us. I can't give them any fuel for the fire. Any download system of books and documents created by independent individuals is entirely their affair because all we have here are links. We are not responsible for a simple link, I can't vouch for what the REST of the Internet is doing, legally speaking, so we can't be held responsible.

sbovisjb1
September 3rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
But remember. If someone in a country such as the U.S wants you . THEY WILL try everything to get you. Remember they break their own laws and often are under the impression that their laws are the worlds laws.

Hirudinea
September 3rd, 2007, 08:35 PM
...I will end up binding the whole thing in about fifteen separate volumes, as my ring binder system (punches 21 square holes,then binds the lot with one of those plastic spines) doesn't take more then 200 pages.

If you want to give it a shot mabye you can make your own paperback, heres a link...

http://www.mothteeth.com/bookmaking/paperback.html

JohnSmith
September 6th, 2007, 11:47 AM
To address some of the concerns of 'Megalomania':
All the books under the directory Upload/Library, are free of copyright.
This because of their age....

'Hirudinea': Thanks for the link!